The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Hello!

I'm a regular-age American applicant. Which colleges are you guys applying to? Right now I really like Caius.
I really like Newnham. Caius seems to have some interesting English fellows! I'm a big fan of Colin Burrow (who was at Caius...he's still involved in the college in some capacity, but he's at All Souls' in Oxford now). Do you know what sort of stuff you'd like to study within English?
So, which colleges did you end up choosing? Have you applied yet?
Funny you should mention it...I just sent off my application to Lucy Cavendish! I feel like I just gave birth.
Original post by gfarrah
Funny you should mention it...I just sent off my application to Lucy Cavendish! I feel like I just gave birth.

:biggrin: :biggrin: Good luck! I'm applying to Wolfson.

Where else are you applying?
In the UK, I'm only applying to Cambridge.
Applying to Girton college :smile:
So this is it. The deadline has passed. Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't believe this! Oh, and I'm seriously glad I didn't listen to people wo kept telling me not to apply early - at least I didn't have to worry about sending in my application!
Good luck to us all, and good luck to you all with the ELAT (and us mature students with the at-interview test)

What colleges have you gone for?
Reply 1188
Anyone got confirmation emails from their specific colleges yet? I turned in my COPA and saq and still haven't heard anything from caius.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've heard from Lucy re: Uncas, copa, and saq.
Reply 1190
I'm starting to get nervous about caius but I'm not sure it's been long enough to start bugging them through email. I turned in all that stuff exactly a week ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zee35
Anyone got confirmation emails from their specific colleges yet? I turned in my COPA and saq and still haven't heard anything from caius.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard from Wolfson.:smile:
Reply 1192
I got my email from caius and sent off my written work! Now I just have to take the ELAT and hope I get an interview. Good luck to everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to all standard-age college applicants with the ELAT!
How was the ELAT? I was thinking of you all... I hope the positive energy I tried to send you worked! :smile:
Reply 1195
Thanks for the good vibes! I felt really great right after coming out of the exam but then later last night I started to second guess my entire paper. This second guessing is something I tend to do on a lot of my exams but overall I think I did well enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zee35
Thanks for the good vibes! I felt really great right after coming out of the exam but then later last night I started to second guess my entire paper. This second guessing is something I tend to do on a lot of my exams but overall I think I did well enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I felt like that too.. After my paper I was yeah I think I'll get to interview but now I'm doubting my chances :/
Apparently Cambridge ask about the ELAT content at interview too so worried about that as well as everything else..
Hey! I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm applying to Clare x
Sad that nobody answered these so I'm probs too late but w/e, maybe it'll help in future!

Original post by dorababy1995
[current students]

I'm hesitating between King's (never know where the apostrophe is!), Trinity and Selwyn. My situation is quite unique so I don't want to have to think about choosing a college in September. Which one do you think is the most suitable for a blind English applicant? I've contacted all 3 colleges and the admissions officers seem nice enough.

King's is poor, full of tourists, and has terrible food.
My Engling friends at Trinity hate it because the college demands Firsts, it's very Maths-centric, and the gender balance is ~70/30 male/female.
Selwyn keeps to itself. I hope you applied there! Imo it's a lovely college.

Do Cambridge expect you to have read a lot of literary criticism?

No. I'd read a bit of practical criticism and knew a little theory, but generally it's fine not to have read much at all. Of course, it's good if you can discuss the key texts in your personal statement intelligently, so some crit wouldn't go amiss there.

Hey all,

Is there anyone on here who originally applied for a different course but then switched to English? How easy/difficult was it? What

I know of nobody who's successfully managed to do this, but it does happen in extraordinary circumstances. If you're thinking of trying to game the system by applying for something like Theology and swapping, don't. Cambridge are wise to that, and they won't let you do it.
I'm applying to Pembroke :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending