The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Barny
There are plenty of Universities out there, of course, but Nottingham is one of the best, which is what draws academics to work here. I can't really be bothered to debate with you that the city isn't bad because so many people come to work here, it is simply stupid reasoning.

I don't see what your point is re: glasgow knife crime?

My point is, as a student who had an offer to go to Glasgow turned down Glasgow because I was worried about knife-crime and crime over there in general. Which meant I chose another university over it.

If Nottingham is as bad as you say it is, then I'm sure this would affect many peoples decision on going there like the OP, yet still it manages to attract high quality academics. Obviously, it must not be that bad, if it manages to do this.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
tbh I've been here 3 and a half years, and have never been burgled, mugged, shot, or stabbed, and none of my friends have been murdered, and I've walked home from Ocean on my own loads of times.
I've lived in Nottingham all my life, and I think it's a really good city. All cities are going to have problems with crime to some extent, including knives and guns etc. But after 18 years here, I can safely say that I've never seen a gun or a knife (apart from, like, knives in the kitchen, and penknives, but you know what I mean :redface:)

And that story about the taxi driver with a crowbar? That's a one off, guaranteed. I know lots of people who catch taxis, including myself, and I've never heard of that happening before. Obviously you have to use a reputable taxi company, not some random man with a handwritten "taxy" label in the window, but you shouldn't have problems like that.

And the sandpit with razorblades in it? Source please, as I've not heard anything about that. Plus I don't think the OP is going to be too interested in playing in sandpits, lets be honest...

Admittedly, Nottingham does have its rougher areas. St Annes and the Meadows have already been mentioned. Maybe a few like Netherfield should also be on that list, but there are plenty of much nicer areas all over Nottingham.

And I've seen one or two burnt cars in my time, but then I've seen them in other cities too. It's not something with a higher rate in Nottingham than anywhere else.

And they're meant to be cracking down on the beggars who are out all the time. There was a poster about it on the tram a few weeks back! But really, I've never met a violent one (as mentioned in the OP)... some of them will be a bit annoying, or persistant, but never violent in my experience.

I can't claim that Nottingham is perfect. I know of people who've been mugged or burgled, but really, it's not a common occurence. As a young female in the city centre on my own, I've never felt particularly scared or frightened for my own safety. We've got a lot more police and community support officers on the streets now, and working to get rid of this Shottingham label (lets be honest - we've mainly got that because "shot" and "Nottingham" fit together better than, say, "shot" and "Leeds", for example. Shleeds, anyone? :smile:)

Nottingham has great shops and a great nightlife :smile: Me personally, I think it's a great place to live :smile:
Reply 23
fat_hobbit
My point is, as a student who had an offer to go to Glasgow turned down Glasgow because I was worried about knife-crime and crime over there in general. Which meant I chose another university over it.

If Nottingham is as bad as you say it is, then I'm sure this would affect many peoples decision on going there like the OP, yet still it manages to attract high quality academics. Obviously, it must not be that bad, if it manages to do this.

I knew about Nottinghams reputation before I came and still chose it, so did many others I know. Some people don't believe its as bad as it is, and some people don't care. Whether or not people choose to come here has absolutely no bearing on what the city is like. Loads of people live in Baghdad, doesn't mean it's a safe place to live does it?

The whole "I've lived here 3 years and nothings ever happened to me" point doesn't stand up. It's all about probabilities, your probability of getting shot/stabbed/burgled is much higher in Nottingham than most other UK cities, that doesn't mean it WILL happen to you. Students also tend to live in a "student bubble" where they rarely venture out of student areas/campus/ocean, which somewhat lowers their risk.

I'm just telling you like it is so you can make an informed decision. Nottingham is not a "nice" town, the Uni is good, there is lots to do, but it is not a "pleasant" place to live, in my opinion of course.
silkman
Iv lived in Nottingham since October as a student and in all honesty, have seen nothing at all to worry me. I go out 2 or 3 nights a week and have seen no unprovoked attacks. Everywhere you go you will see 2 drunk people starting on each other sometimes. As for burnt out cars lying around everywhere.....haha thats not true! Also, the beggers are perhaps the most polite iv ever seen!My halls are very secure and nobody has been robbed. Nottingham unfortunately suffers from a bad reputation. However it is a city on the up and id reccommend you to think seriously about coming here! I certainly have no regrets.

Lol....
It's no more dangerous than any other big cities I've been in, from my experience. It's pretty much a grotty hole - but then most big cities are in my opinion.
Barny
I knew about Nottinghams reputation before I came and still chose it, so did many others I know. Some people don't believe its as bad as it is, and some people don't care. Whether or not people choose to come here has absolutely no bearing on what the city is like. Loads of people live in Baghdad, doesn't mean it's a safe place to live does it?

I would not go to Baghdad unless I had too.
Reply 27
My mate goes to Nottingham Trent, hes been there just over a year and 3/4 of his house has been punched in the face on the way home from nights out, all 3 of them by muggers. Bare in mind this guy is about 5ft and has never been in a fight in his life as well. When I went there to watch a moutain bike show there were tramps all over town.
Reply 28
I was mugged at knife point on the uni campus, but still feel extremley safe. It was during the easter holidays and it was around midnight, down near the ark. I have never heard of anything else dangerous happening on campus.

I know many people who have had their houses in Lenton burgled. But again this has always been opportunism. A window or door being left open, rather than someone forcing their way in. If sensible precautions are taken it is absoloutley fine.

The town centre itself is really nice. I have never had any problems at all.
I've been there for 3yrs and nothing has ever happened. I wouldn't be put off by the reputation as I think the crime is greatly exaggerated - like any big city, there are areas you don't go to, and you should be careful about locking up, walking alone in the dark etc but that's just common sense
Reply 30
I lived in Nottingham for over six years and I felt it was a rather lovely place - but I did go to a private school and my house was in quite a posh area, so that may explain it. After that my dad's business went down the tubes and we moved to an absolute ****hole on the east coast of Scotland called Lunan Bay. :p:
Joe555
You're worried about crime? I would be more worried about getting STABED and KILLED and MURDERED than crime.....but oh well. Each to their own?:biggrin: (Nottingham's my top choice:tongue:)

Are you seriously trying to say that stabbing and murdering aren't acts of crime?
ford
Is it true what they say about Nottingham? I am an international student, and got an offer.

People call it Shootingham(girl shot for no reason, policewoman etc.), others speak of loads of beggars, rough areas, stabbings... even about burnt cars, and how they got mugged/someone stole their stuff many times in just few months.

I've also heard many stories about guns, violent beggars... trash on streets...

ONE UK insurer claims that THEFTS are 200+% as likley to happen in Nott compared to average UK. Some say it's worst city to live in... people voted it out.

I haven't accepted the offer yet, but what i want to know- FROM those who live there, attend University, or have been there... what is it really like? I don't want to stay locked up in room being in fear of crime.

Statistics, though, suggest Nottingham has a load of problems from all kinds of crime. Heard once that every week someone was shot, even more in one week:confused:

I'm interested in your input!

Thanks

dnt worry about it London is worse trust me i've lived her my whole life and i havnt been shot yet
Having been here nearly three years, I think I've heard of one person being mugged. That's a lot less crime affecting people I know that people I know from school who have gone to the far flung outreaches of Wales and the like, deep in the countryside, but having purses pinched and drinks spiked.

Nottingham is great. I love it here :smile:
we were there for four days on the jubilee campus and two seperate groups of people were mugged on campus.

just a stat :/ I like the SB campus but I don't like the city at all.
Whatever is going to be said is entirely subjective, so I wouldn't buy into any of this "The city is **** lolz" that's being thrown around.

Look, it's fine: does it have rough areas? Of course. It's certainly true that crime was a problem a few years back, but this really isn't the case anymore. It certainly feels alot safer walking around, and I know this has been said alot, but having lived here for 18 years, nothing has ever happened to me or to my friends, or family for that matter, and I used to live right next to the notorious St Anns.

As for this "I was shot three times in the head when in Nottingham for 2 days for a taster course at the uni, AND they tracked down my dying grandmother and beat her to the floor too" - just don't believe it. It's all Daily Mail sensationalist twoddle that people pick up and repeat just for a reaction.
Reply 36
Kabloomybuzz
Nottinghams crime is exaggerated. As the media does.. I live in derby right on the doorstep and I go to college in nottingham. its fine

The media for you! Like Kabloomybuzz I live in Derby but I used to live in Nottingham. Nottingham is a great city! It has lots to offer students as something like 20% of Nottingham population are University Students something must of attracted them to Nottingham.

I used to live in Wollaton which is where the main campus is located, crime rate is lower in Wollaton then in other areas. If you were bothered about living in Lenton there is plenty of student housing in Wollaton (But you may pay the higher prices for it).
Reply 37
I've lived in nottm all my life, bar my time in london at uni. i love the place. down to earth, good bar and club culture, good food, shopping blah blah.

I guess they tend to think students are easy-pickings, let's be honest, alot of ppl who study in nottm aren't the most streetwise.

And the taxi thing, me and the fellas were locked in a taxi (licensed, you know, london cab styleee), 12-15 taxi's were following, stopped, surrounded us, couple of us ran off, one of us were taken to a cash point and forced money out of account. but oh well.

Barny. most cities aren't pleasant. the only city i would describe as pleasant is bristol, and even then I can direct you to some **** (where you will get mugged) places to live there.
Reply 38
Nottingham wasn't the at the top of the 'worst city' list-so there must be worst places statistically, but I bet people are still going to unis there and have survived long enough to complete their course! :biggrin: ps Nottingham is my local city so I might appear biased-but I know its got both its good and bad points! (for example-good-very close to southwell!!!, bad-the place where we went to study segregation-not nice!(i'm sure the people are lovely though! :biggrin:)
Reply 39
for knife and gun crimes london comes high yet thats were most international students want to go. i think if you let yourself become persuaded by what the media says then you're not going to get the truth. every city has crime of all sorts, sadly its sort of expected, yet places around the north and midlands seem to get the worse rep. im from near blackburn but i study in liverpool and i heard so much hate against liverpool like keep a lock on ur purse etc but its fine. ive heard of some bad attacks on people in my uni but never seen anything and i feel safe enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending