The Student Room Group

Does anyone else not know there times tables?

I'm in my final year of college studying Computer science, maths and further maths and still cannot fully recite all of the times tables. I think it's because i've never needed them as I can use a calculator in 13 of my 14 past / future exams.

Anyone else?
Reply 1
Original post by anonstudent2017
I'm in my final year of college studying Computer science, maths and further maths and still cannot fully recite all of the times tables. I think it's because i've never needed them as I can use a calculator in 13 of my 14 past / future exams.

Anyone else?

Dam that's bad, I know the 1-17 off the top of my head, and can basically do any others in a few seconds, but Mental Speed is basically my thing. They are not hard to learn, especially if your doing further maths, as you must be pretty good. You can learn the 1-14 times tables off by heart in less than an hour if you apply yourself.
I struggle to do many things in my head as I'm a visual person, I always need to write what I'm thinking down in order to keep track. I can do most of them 1-12, however for some of them it may take a few seconds for me to picture it and then know the answer. It's really bad but I just can't keep track of stuff in my head, I need to see it in order to do it.
Reply 3

Anyone else?
And what happens if you have no calculator? To be unable to do your three times table, never mind twelve or higher, is nothing to boast about. I am old enough to think that this inability reflects very badly on the teaching you have had. I use calculators and spreadsheets all the time but I can still recite my tables, though I'm not going to tell how long it is since I learned them :tongue:.
Original post by Minerva
And what happens if you have no calculator? To be unable to do your three times table, never mind twelve or higher, is nothing to boast about. I am old enough to think that this inability reflects very badly on the teaching you have had. I use calculators and spreadsheets all the time but I can still recite my tables, though I'm not going to tell how long it is since I learned them :tongue:.

Apart from my Core 1 exam last summer I will always be allowed my calculator in exams. And as for real life I will always have access to some form of calculator. The only times tables I can not recite is 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.

(My Core 1 exam involved a lot of times tables written down the side of the page)
Apart from my Core 1 exam last summer I will always be allowed my calculator in exams. And as for real life I will always have access to some form of calculator. The only times tables I can not recite is 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.

(My Core 1 exam involved a lot of times tables written down the side of the page)

If you know 2, you should know 4 & 8.
Reply 6
Did Computer Science too. I know up to 14 and I can do simple multiplications in my head but we were allowed to use a calculator in our exams so it didn't really matter.
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you know 2, you should know 4 & 8.

With thought and time yeah, but I could not simply write the answer to say 7*8
you don't seem to know your there and their.
can you grow fruits and vegetables from a seed? can you hunt and prepare a wild animal? can you fish? can you build a waterproof, warm, and sturdy shelter? can you make a fire on a cold and wet winter day? I doubt it...but you are having a go at him for being reliant on calculators and google maps. we are all guilty of not knowing basic knowledge.
Im in year 13 and I still don't kow them, it's a real pain and i despise maths as i have always had a bad run with it.
As with anything its repetition in learning that does the trick. I'm putting the effort in for maths for the first time and I am improving, so if you too are struggling, maybe just start for 10-20 minutes a night and write them out and re-read them in a rhythm / rhyming voice to get it stuck in your head.
I also do further maths, I’m awful at my times tables I just know a lot of tricks to avoid needing it. Eg 11* any thing bigger than 10. Do *10 first then add the number.
I'm not complete stupid :biggrin: I could work out 40% of a number and have perfected my doubling skills. I prefer hand written to typing and can read a map quite fine but you have got to agree that google maps can traverse a map in milliseconds where the same traversal by hand would take hours. My unconditional uni course for computer science allows calculators so there is no point learning something that I will most likely never be put on the spot for. Although I agree being able to recall products would be an ideal skill.
2 + 2 = 4 - 1 = 3

^^ Quick maths
I see your point.

Spoiler

I also have the same problem when I was educated at my university. But I tried to figure out how to easily learn these times tables and fortunately, I came across this <a href=

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending