The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd say imperial :biggrin:
karmenchiu
I'd say imperial :biggrin:

Ditto. Though that's just my opinion and by 'reputation'.

Btw, there's a very similar thread that was set up witha poll over a year ago which is still going; last time i checked Imperial and Warwick were on 47 each... so obviously they both seen as top unis for maths and very close.
Reply 3
absolutely, ic
Warwick has the better maths department, and a harder course. Imperial has a better overall rep and location but its maths dept is overrated in my opinion. UCL is alright too but not as good as the other two for maths.
The Orientalist
Warwick has the better maths department, and a harder course. Imperial has a better overall rep and location but its maths dept is overrated in my opinion. UCL is alright too but not as good as the other two for maths.

Agreed to the whole statement, as an Imperial mathematician.
Reply 6
The Orientalist

Spot on.
Reply 7
Wck!
Reply 8
I would say Imperial/UCL.

I attend UCL maths, and my cousin goes to Warwick for maths. He doesnt like the course, neither do I lol... but I think UCL/Imperial have a better name in the world, Imperial 3/4 best overall in UK, UCL 9th best in the world...

Hence UCL/Imperial...
Reply 9
i study maths at UCL... i must say that im very happy with the way my course is structured and with the whole experience Ive had so far (im a 3rd year), a couple of my friends who chose UCL over imperial said they did because they felt UCL had a friendlier environment and it provides you with a lot more options.... being multi-faculty...i suppose warwick would be the same. I dont doubt that as a maths department imperial is probably better, and has got better research facilities etc...
Also i can guarantee that the staff here is fantastic, and really take an interest in you performing well...whether that means you wanting to change course, modules, need help etc... again this might be the same at ic and warwick.
Reply 10
For Maths, i'd say Warwick has an edge. But they're all amazing schools.
Reply 11
I think I'm going to chose Imperial as my firm, but I dont know what to chose as my insurance: Warwick, UCL, Kings....
I was under the impression you chose Imperial as your firm a while ago....

Go to Imperial on location, not because it's Maths dept is better because it isn't. Also, whilst I was making my choices and went to the open days, I learned Warwick's course is incredibly flexible whereas at Imperial you have very little choice (in the first two years almost all of it is compulsory).

If you prefer London then Imperial as firm, UCL as insurance. Both in London; no hassle should you be disappointed on results day.
Reply 13
silent ninja
I was under the impression you chose Imperial as your firm a while ago....

Go to Imperial on location, not because it's Maths dept is better because it isn't. Also, whilst I was making my choices and went to the open days, I learned Warwick's course is incredibly flexible whereas at Imperial you have very little choice (in the first two years almost all of it is compulsory).

If you prefer London then Imperial as firm, UCL as insurance. Both in London; no hassle should you be disappointed on results day.

Well yeh, I had pretty much made up my mind about Imperial being my firm anyway, just that I hadn't made my mind up on Insurance...and you know when you think about it too much, you start to go over it again...and again and again lol so yeh...if you get what I mean...
Bottom line is, I know Imperial is my firm [although I do agree on warwicks flexibility and do believe it is a respectable uni for maths, its just the location].
I'm just struggling to chose my insurance lol, which is why I cant firm Imperial yet.

Latest