The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I mean fall 2008
hope you enjoy studying here when you do
Reply 22
Thanks!! and thanks for the help everybody!!
Reply 23
Which uni are you going to?
Reply 24
although generally university is a very tolerant and accepting place, i would say that people from American and Canada end up integrating the best with the British majority, because the culture is only suitably different. But people from say Hong Kong or Singapore, whilst being "accepted" tend much more not to integrate, and to hang out in societies based on their country, and generally not mixing. That's just my experience anyways. But an American would have no problem whatsoever, in fact you'd probably do better than many British because you've got something interesting to talk about to strike up conversation at first.
Reply 25
Ethereal
Which uni are you going to?

Im deciding between Royal holloway, University of London and Queen Mary, University of London..

Jahmez23..I agree with you about students from Hong Kong and Singapore and such. I wrote about it before, but they tend to be very serious about grades and do not really integrate with Americans..
Reply 26
So you're going to London? That has **** loads of foreigners as a city anyway so you'll be fine
Reply 27
Ethereal
So you're going to London? That has **** loads of foreigners as a city anyway so you'll be fine

Lol..Yea i'm kind of thinking it will be like NYC which I live close by to. Hopefully I can get some fun, English speaking flatmates lol..
Reply 28
You could always find your own instead of relying on uni.

i can pm you some websites if you want?
Reply 29
Ethereal
You could always find your own instead of relying on uni.

i can pm you some websites if you want?

yea that would be cool..thanks
Reply 30
will do it on my train ride back tomorrow :smile:
Reply 31
Ethereal
will do it on my train ride back tomorrow :smile:

Cool!! Thanks a bunch!!!
I think the OP is worried about acceptance because Of his country's terrible human rights and foreign policy record.

We know you feel terrible about it, but that would never come in the way of a friendship, not for me anyway. If you're kind and a good friend to somebody, then you're never going to have any problems.
Reply 33
jonboyyork
I think the OP is worried about acceptance because Of his country's terrible human rights and foreign policy record.

We know you feel terrible about it, but that would never come in the way of a friendship, not for me anyway. If you're kind and a good friend to somebody, then you're never going to have any problems.

I am not going to deny the US has made mistakes in terms of foreign policy and our involvement in the war and such, but then again our human rights toward Americans is terrible by no means. You would have to live here to understand this i suppose.

I don't think I would have problems with people in the UK, I just wouldn't want to have to live with a groiup of students for a year and have to constantly bicker about things because I'm an AMerican and such. Lol..
Reply 34
shriek10124
I am not going to deny the US has made mistakes in terms of foreign policy and our involvement in the war and such, but then again our human rights toward Americans is terrible by no means. You would have to live here to understand this i suppose.

I don't think I would have problems with people in the UK, I just wouldn't want to have to live with a groiup of students for a year and have to constantly bicker about things because I'm an AMerican and such. Lol..

If you're in london you'll be able to go places that are full of aussies, saffas and all blacks - they will help you bitch back at the english :biggrin:
Reply 35
Lol..Thats good incase something goes down, i'm going to need help to fight off you crazy English lol..jk
If you're coming to London then you'll find every extreme, basically. You won't just find Americans, you'll find all sorts of Americans.

BUT, I think you want to actually make friends with British students, and most students are quite liberal and accepting and I'm sure they'll find you an interesting person to chat to, on an intellectual and social basis.
Reply 37
jonboyyork
If you're coming to London then you'll find every extreme, basically. You won't just find Americans, you'll find all sorts of Americans.

BUT, I think you want to actually make friends with British students, and most students are quite liberal and accepting and I'm sure they'll find you an interesting person to chat to, on an intellectual and social basis.

Thanks again for the advice..I'm sure things should be fine, you have to find people with common interests and hopefully you english know how to show a guy a night on the town lol..I want to learn how to drink with the best of them lol..
Well to be honest i advise not to talk to most chavs and the "grime" music listeners.
Americans would have no problems (at least here in Scotland), you would probably think we were speaking a totally different language at first, but eventually you would get it :wink: .

I would love to know someone American, i might just actually have somebody to talk to about the NFL

Latest

Trending

Trending