The Student Room Group

My first car

I’m trying to find a good reliable car, that’s not too expensive and the insurance isn’t too much. Any good websites to look on? Thank you
https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/group-1/

Go through this mate, I'd say no higher than group 5. Find a few cars that you'd be interested in (look them up, see what the features are and whatnot, run insurance quotes through a comparison website), then find that car on autotrader and share some links and we can go further.

Popular "cheap" first time cars include Aygo, Citigo, Polo, Fiesta, Punto, Corsa and Ibiza - but there are so many more.
Reply 2
Auto Trader
Reply 3
Original post by nevershear
https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-insurance/group-1/

Go through this mate, I'd say no higher than group 5. Find a few cars that you'd be interested in (look them up, see what the features are and whatnot, run insurance quotes through a comparison website), then find that car on autotrader and share some links and we can go further.

Popular "cheap" first time cars include Aygo, Citigo, Polo, Fiesta, Punto, Corsa and Ibiza - but there are so many more.

Man I really need to update my advice document.

In theory, the lower the insurance group, the cheaper it'll be to insure, but trying out some rarer cars doesn't hurt!

I've seen people insure Land Rovers for cheaper than a Corsa, because they're not as common for younger drivers, and the statistics say there's less risk.
Original post by IWMTom
Man I really need to update my advice document.

In theory, the lower the insurance group, the cheaper it'll be to insure, but trying out some rarer cars doesn't hurt!

I've seen people insure Land Rovers for cheaper than a Corsa, because they're not as common for younger drivers, and the statistics say there's less risk.

I mean I didn't pull that from your sticky although I recall it being there, I pulled it from google. Generic thread is kinda begging for generic response. But we know times have changed and simply picking up any old 1l car and saying "insure me" doesn't bring the premium down anymore. I remember the discussion a while back where people where getting better insurance on stupid cars like Type-R civics (stupid for an inexperienced driver, that is), than on your standard run-arounds. I'm of the logic that the better the car, the more you'd want to take care of it and that is reflected on premiums; but it's probably not the case.
Reply 5
I mean I didn't pull that from your sticky although I recall it being there, I pulled it from google. Generic thread is kinda begging for generic response. But we know times have changed and simply picking up any old 1l car and saying "insure me" doesn't bring the premium down anymore. I remember the discussion a while back where people where getting better insurance on stupid cars like Type-R civics (stupid for an inexperienced driver, that is), than on your standard run-arounds. I'm of the logic that the better the car, the more you'd want to take care of it and that is reflected on premiums; but it's probably not the case.

The thing is, insurance underwriting doesn't make sense anymore. Everything is calculated using big data and computers, so even the people working at the insurer don't understand it!

Such is the digital age.
Original post by IWMTom
The thing is, insurance underwriting doesn't make sense anymore. Everything is calculated using big data and computers, so even the people working at the insurer don't understand it!

Such is the digital age.

Give it a few more years and another question will be "on average how much do you sleep every night?" "how many fizzy drinks do you consume?" "When you fart whilst driving do you crack open a window?"
Reply 7
Give it a few more years and another question will be "on average how much do you sleep every night?" "how many fizzy drinks do you consume?" "When you fart whilst driving do you crack open a window?"

FirstCarQuote (by Admiral: https://firstcarquote.com) already asks similar questions to this, believe it or not!
Original post by IWMTom
FirstCarQuote (by Admiral: https://firstcarquote.com) already asks similar questions to this, believe it or not!

Reply 9

Think you forgot to type a message there, mate...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending