The Student Room Group

Reverse bay park; When to straighten up

Hi guys, had a bit of a problem reverse bay parking today. I was told a reference point by my old instructor of when to start to straighten your wheel during a reverse bay park but i've forgotten it. I was just wondering, with a reverse bay park, is there a reference point of when I should start straightening my wheel, as today I didn't know when to, and ended up turning too much once actually in the bay, leaving me at an angle. Thanks
Original post by Gunjo
Hi guys, had a bit of a problem reverse bay parking today. I was told a reference point by my old instructor of when to start to straighten your wheel during a reverse bay park but i've forgotten it. I was just wondering, with a reverse bay park, is there a reference point of when I should start straightening my wheel, as today I didn't know when to, and ended up turning too much once actually in the bay, leaving me at an angle. Thanks

[video="youtube;-vBale_vEEM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vBale_vEEM[/video]

I follow this, basically once you're in the bay and parallel to the lines, stop then get the clutch to biting point so you're going really slowly and quickly turn the wheel
Reply 2
Once you're straight in the bay. Good observation in wing mirrors and lots of practice are the key.
Unless I'm restricted for space, I try to reverse backwards straight into a bay instead of turning into one. It's far easier in my opinion.
Depends how quick you are with the steering.

If you are able to steer very quickly for the manoeuvre, it should be when you are straight in the bay.

If your steering is a bit slow, then do it just before you’re straight.

Remember that in the test, it doesn’t matter that you are on an angle - if you’re in the bay then it counts.

Also, if you are not in the bay on your first attempt then you are allowed to correct it by driving forward and then reversing. However, you can only do this once.
(edited 6 years ago)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by It's****ingWOODY

It's... it's... it's beautiful...
I don’t tend to use reference points as it’s different with every car, and some parking spaces are smaller than others. I generally stop about 2 bays further along and then full lock, sometimes have to adjust it a few times but check in the wing mirrors that I’m not hitting other cars/falling out of the lines. Once I am happy with my positioning in the space THEN I straighten the wheel and continue to reverse.

Trust me when you get the knack of it you will be able to reverse Park in your sleep.
Reply 8
Cheers lads x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending