The Student Room Group

Annoying people making comments about what you study?

Hi,
just a general little rant lol. I know people don't mean to be nosy but I get people asking me all the time what subjects I do and what I want to do at uni. That doesn't bother me but when I tell them 'Spanish' or 'German', they always say 'say something now!' which gets really boring after a bit. I know that other people get it too, I think there's alot of snobbery for the media students to deal with and the philosophy students, eg 'what can you do with that?' and I'm just interested if anyone else gets this with their subject. What do you say? Cos I'd like to have something ready to say when they ask me lol. Rant over.

Scroll to see replies

I get that all the time with Latin, but what people usually say is 'why do you bother taking that?' and 'how is Latin of any use nowadays?' :P
Reply 2
I find "no" is always a good response.
Some people try to criticise me for liking maths and taking it next year in sixth-form. I just end up ignoring them, since I find myself lucky for actually enjoying a subject as much as I like maths. It's privilege to have some kind of idea what you want to do and to know what you really like.
Just think of it that way. It's their problem if they don't like what your subjects.
Reply 4
erm maybe thats the only response they can think of? giving you a chance to show off what youve learnt etc
someone really annoyed me the other day. i told them i was doing geography and they said 'ooo what an exciting life you're going to have doing geography'. i felt like smacking them one.
Some ppl think everyone who wants to study engineering is a total nerd and has no social life. I simply think that those people are dumb.
Reply 7
"You do three languages?! Do you not get confused? :eek:"

Although to be fair, I'm not complaining- they are after all making it out to be far more of an achievement than it actually is. :wink:
SylverStrike
I get that all the time with Latin, but what people usually say is 'why do you bother taking that?' and 'how is Latin of any use nowadays?' :P

I always get that. I used to do Greek (Ancient) too. Got the same response for that. They always say: "How do you say [phrase]" and when I say we don't speak it they say "What? How easy is that!". Then I tell them about the set text learning. :cool: Latin rules.
No one has ever asked me to demonstrate a Chebyshev circuit filter on the spot yet! I'd dream of getting a chance to show how well educated I am :frown:
Reply 10
i get it with philosophy and ethics, i just tell them to stop being so narrow minded. Hah.
Reply 11
I'm doing two languages currently, it's only three if you count the english lol and even that I sometimes trip up on.
Reply 12
Yeah, some people seem to think Psychology is just about body language, when in fact there is only 1/20 of one module out of six for the first year so meh.
Reply 13
A lot of people seem to think that I should provide free tech support, or some just think that "computer science" is just a posh name for "ICT" (which is a different course).

Either set them straight (nicely), or tell them to bugger off :p:
geology. people always say "rocks? isn't that boring?" or "what's that useful for?"
stupid people.
foolsihboy
I always get that. I used to do Greek (Ancient) too. Got the same response for that. They always say: "How do you say [phrase]" and when I say we don't speak it they say "What? How easy is that!". Then I tell them about the set text learning. :cool: Latin rules.

Exactly! But the problem I have is that if I start moaning about the set texts and Latin generally to my friends, that prompts them to ask the same annoying questions like 'what's the point of it?' even more so!:rolleyes: And the second you start saying stuff like 'because it helps you with English and other subjects, and is generally well looked upon', they stop listening.

And there's also the whole 'oh, you know Latin, therefore can you translate this?' thing, like when we went to Greece, and of course most of the writing was in Greek, but everyone assumed that because I and some of my friends took Latin, we'd be able to translate all of the old writing around us.:rolleyes:

But it's worth it, as classics rule! Greek and Latin FTW!:biggrin:
Well, when I was younger (and more delusional I s'pose) I always believed I could pursue a career in film. Whenever I told a chinese family that (I'm Chinese, my parents know *lots* of Chinese people who's children have gotten into Oxbridge), they'd laugh and say "oh, that's just a phase. What do you want to do as a proper career?"

Needless to say I've applied to do something other than film @ Uni, but my desire to make something out of my love for film still burns. (Quietly)
I've never really gotten any comments concerning my uni course. I'm doing biology.
SylverStrike
And there's also the whole 'oh, you know Latin, therefore can you translate this?' thing, like when we went to Greece, and of course most of the writing was in Greek, but everyone assumed that because I and some of my friends took Latin, we'd be able to translate all of the old writing around us.:rolleyes:

Tell you what though, Greek makes a great alphabet for writing notes to each other that the teachers cannot read!:smile:

In answer to the origional question, when people ask you what the point of your chosen subjects are, just ask them why they chose thier subjects. The answer will probably be because they like them. Just tell then that is why you chose yours too. They won't be able to answer back (hopefully, unless they are really good at arguing)
Reply 19
'Engineering... is that a posh way of saying car mechanic?'

:mad:

Latest

Trending

Trending