The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Leicester?

Got offers from both for English (both ABB, but Lancaster specified that the A should be in English, Leicester didn't mind what subject it's in.) but have *hopefully* changed courses at both universities to Media and Culture (BBB). Which university is better? I know they're considered pretty much equal if you look soley at league tables, Lancaster has a major/minor system which I love the look of, but Leicester is closer to home (50 miles away, compared to Lancaster's 160) which is a big plus.
Help??
Reply 1
My view is that Lancaster is slightly better, but then hey, what do I know?! Seriously, just visit both if you can and keep reading the prospectuses. You should know better than us what you're looking for out of this experience.
Reply 2
I chose Leicester, Lancaster was my insurance for a number of reasons, but Leicester certainly has, across the board, the academic edge and has better facilities.
Im a biased Leicester student :p:

Looked very briefly at Lancaster, but never considered it because of how far from home it was, so dont actually know very much about it other than what ive heard from others.
Love Leicester though :smile:
Havent actually met anyone so far who doesnt like it here which is good.
Reply 4
I went to look round Lancaster, and I didn't particularly like it (hence why I didn't apply there). The distance is important too. I'd choose Leicester :smile:
Reply 5
I think that in most respects they are very similar: reputation, academically etc. And on TSR the students at both seem generally happy, they all talk about a nice friendly atmosphere.
The difference would seem to be location and environment. Lancaster is very much a rural campus, a close-knit insular community and a bit of a "bubble." The city itself is also a bit cosy.
At Leicester the uni is more city-based, and Leicester is a slightly busier and more multi-cultural city.

Latest

Trending

Trending