The Student Room Group

idk which uni to go to

Hi i am doing accounting and finance at Uni and I've narrowed down my choices to Leicester or Lancaster. Lancaster is a much better uni academically however I don't like the area and idk if ill be happy for 4 years there. Leicester is a much better area socially and there's also an opportunity for a year abroad however it ranks way below for accounting and finance. I would like to enjoy uni and not just focus on the educational prospects so therefore I'm stuck and i need advice because I'm unsure what to do. I don't want to go to university just for fun but I don't want to be miserable. I've heard that nightlife at Lancaster is horrible.
Reply 1
It's Lancaster over Leicester for me. Lancaster campus is a bit isolated in that it's in the middle of a field but it's a lovely campus. Lecister is not so great.
Reply 2
Daughter goes to Lancaster and we visited Leicester for Science.
We found Oadby student village in the middle of nowhere with a student pub and a eatery there, wheres Lancaster campus has 9 pubs, 2 onsite shops and lots of eateries on campus. And the accommodation at leicester was very dated, with the exception of the pavillions. That said we did like opal court near the uni.
Leicester has more nightlife, but Lancaster still has 3 clubs and lots of bars. Leicester is a bigger city than Lancaster.
Lancaster uni to city is 15 mins on bus which comes every 10 mins or so. Oadby to Leicester uni /city is about 15 mins on the bus (unless you live nearer to uni like nixon). She chose Lancaster because of the course, accommodation and what the uni had to offer her. Shes very happy with the city and lives in the city centre now at student halls.

From your post it sounds like you already made your decision. If you dont like Lancaster so much, then its not for you. Also visit Leicester to be doubly sure. Choose accommodation there thats city/uni area, not Oadby, otherwise it kind of defeats the object as its in a village and not as sociable area as you like it to be.
Reply 3
thank you guys for the advice! I'm planning on going Lancaster:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by h1nata

Aww you will enjoy it. The eldest is in year 3 and she loves Lancaster. She sees that city as her home now, and I think she will settle there. One good thing about the campus was she felt very safe there. She would come back from the library in the small hours and its well lit and lots of security. She loves to eat at sultans which is like a chippy/kebab/burger place, and also pizzetta republic. She shops at Sainsburys and Aldi and poundland as well. Year 2 she lived right in the heart of the city above a shop. it was an 8 bed 4 storey flat grade II listed building and she loved it. Year 3 shes in private halls still in the city but futher south. Year 4 she plans to go to uni owned halls chancellors wharf in the city all being well and she qualifies for masters year.
Definitely williamson park, the castle, and morecambe are some things to do in freshers week for some daytime things with your flatmates :smile:
Reply 5
thank you! my parents don't really want me to go there as it's too far and prefer me to go to royal holloway. I know a few people there as well but I'm not sure.. could i have advice for this as I'm now unsure between RHUL and Lancaster :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by h1nata
thank you! my parents don't really want me to go there as it's too far and prefer me to go to royal holloway. I know a few people there as well but I'm not sure.. could i have advice for this as I'm now unsure between RHUL and Lancaster :frown:

I dont know much about RHUL except its near london so thus probably expensive.
Original post by h1nata

Hi @h1nata!

Glad to hear that you've decided on Lancaster! I'm currently a third year student here and I absolutely love it.
Whilst it is generally quieter here in terms of nightlife compared to other universities, the options you have are still pretty lively, especially on socials night (Wednesday) when most of the university socieities have their social events! As has been mentioned, there are 3 clubs in Lancaster, with the Sugarhouse being a student-only club as it is owned by our student's union. And if you prefer cocktail bars to clubs, there are also quite a few of them scattered about the city centre, including Mint, Tipple, etc. The college bars on campus are also usually pretty busy, and whilst they don't stay open as late as some of the bars in the city, they are popular, and mean that you don't need to go off campus (if you're in campus accommodation).

The campus itself is lovely - the buildings and accommodation are really modern, and there are lots of green spaces and dedicated areas for going on walks, i.e., the woodland trail. There are plenty of socieities to get involved in, and we have really great graduate employment prospects. Whilst I can't speak for studying Accounting and Finance here at Lancaster, my learning experience has been great for my degree, which is Psychology. The staff are lovely, and the student community is also really great.

I hope this is helpful!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @h1nata!

Glad to hear that you've decided on Lancaster! I'm currently a third year student here and I absolutely love it.
Whilst it is generally quieter here in terms of nightlife compared to other universities, the options you have are still pretty lively, especially on socials night (Wednesday) when most of the university socieities have their social events! As has been mentioned, there are 3 clubs in Lancaster, with the Sugarhouse being a student-only club as it is owned by our student's union. And if you prefer cocktail bars to clubs, there are also quite a few of them scattered about the city centre, including Mint, Tipple, etc. The college bars on campus are also usually pretty busy, and whilst they don't stay open as late as some of the bars in the city, they are popular, and mean that you don't need to go off campus (if you're in campus accommodation).

The campus itself is lovely - the buildings and accommodation are really modern, and there are lots of green spaces and dedicated areas for going on walks, i.e., the woodland trail. There are plenty of socieities to get involved in, and we have really great graduate employment prospects. Whilst I can't speak for studying Accounting and Finance here at Lancaster, my learning experience has been great for my degree, which is Psychology. The staff are lovely, and the student community is also really great.

I hope this is helpful!

Thank you so much! this is really helpful:smile: I will have to move quite far from home do you think it will be ok
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by h1nata
Thank you so much! this is really helpful:smile: I will have to move quite far from home do you think it will be ok

are there a lot of asians there too
Original post by h1nata

Hi @h1nata!

In my experience, I've felt fine being away from home, and having friends in the same situation is always helpful, so that you have a support network for if/when you are feeling homesick. However, I only live about an hour away from home, so I can get home quite easily if I wanted to. If you've spent time away from home before and felt okay with it, then I'd say you'd probably be okay - but university is a difference experience than what you might have been away from home for before.

One good thing I always try to remember is that there are a lot of people in the same circumstances as you, and it can be helpful to find friends who are also quite a far away from home - it can mean that you can support each other if you're finding it especially difficult at certain points. :smile:

In terms of diversity at the university, in the 21/22 year, 60.8% of our international undergraduate students identified as Asian or Asian British, with 10.8% of our UK undergraduate students identifying as Asian or Asian British as well. More information regarding our EDI data is available here: EDI Data

I hope this was helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending