The Student Room Group

which law modules are 'easy'?

I have taken a gap year from my law degree as it was getting a bit too much and I felt I was loosing the plot a tad...am going back this Sep and need to choose which modules I want to do. I have chosen three but need to make a decision on the final one. As the other modules include Juris and Tort I want to balance it out with something that is a bit 'easier' if you know what I mean, so I could perhaps keep my sanity.

I was thinking 'tax law' or 'company law'. Please any thoughts on these or any other modules???

Thanks a lot!!!
Reply 1
Haha, when I read the title of this thread I was thinking of posting (jokingly): 'Do Tax law or Company Law'.
Company Law is slightly easier than Tax law in my opinion but still is not the easiest module that I've studied (to be honest, I'm not completely sure which is the easiest I've studied). I say Company law is slightly easier because its easy to pick out all the key cases and additional areas of law that you really need to get to grips with before the exam. As long as you focus on them and really understand them, the exam shouldn't be too much of a problem.

On the issue of deciding which modules are easy. I'd have a look at they syllabus and judge how broad and detailed it is. If it seems like something you can't handle, then that might be a module to put on the side. Also consider how the module is assessed. Is it 100% exam based or is part of it assessed through other ways, coursework etc.
Some modules might have a more theoretical angle; like modules titled 'The Lawyer & Society' or 'The Law and Society' etc. Also, talk to students who have recently gone through that particular year at university.
hahahaah juris and tort are 2 of the easiest tcompared to the other modules that i've studied...it depends on what your module choices actually are i guess. At Sheffield some people choose criminology options because they are apparently easier, so I'm slightly regretting doing all commercially/corporate based ones cos they are flippin' hard!
as the above poster says, look at module assessment too.
Reply 3
^That's true actually. Jurisprudence and Torts may not be as hard as you perceive them to be. Torts in particular; once you have gotten to grips with some fundamental concepts, its all about trying to accomodate particular information relating to particular torts within that framework.

I can't completely tell from your first post if you are going to be repeating the same year at the same university. If so, surely you have all the experience/knowledge you need to determine which are the hardest modules yourself. Don't forget to go by your own experiences.
If a university offered an advanced module of a specific area of law, would you use that as an inidicator of being relatively easy? LSE offers advanced torts, Nottingham offer advanced criminal law and KCL offer advanced constitutional law.
Reply 5
NDGAARONDI
If a university offered an advanced module of a specific area of law, would you use that as an inidicator of being relatively easy? LSE offers advanced torts, Nottingham offer advanced criminal law and KCL offer advanced constitutional law.

Warwick offers some similar ones, but i dont think that makes the basic module easy. For example, warwick offers advanced competition, but that didnt make competition easy. You just cover even more complex cases, problems and issues in the advanced modules.

Legal theory was easy - especially if you ever did a level sociology :smile: My only first lol.
Id also say any modules that focus more on a project based assessment, or that are more concerned with the law's effects rather than its application.
Splodges
Warwick offers some similar ones, but i dont think that makes the basic module easy. For example, warwick offers advanced competition, but that didnt make competition easy. You just cover even more complex cases, problems and issues in the advanced modules.

Yeah. And I know I'm stating the obvious here, but what some people find hard others may not. There will be a general rule, on an average of all students, that a certain module will be the hardest. What the module is I do not know. Another indiciator perhaps could be what is often studied at "A" level but that might be erroneous too.

I do wonder how many people actually take advanced module tests, or rather, those who choose not to, because of their fear that it might harm the prospect of a potential first or upper second.
Reply 7
As others said, tort and juris were two of the 'easier' modules I've studied - not that they're by any means easy! I personally find sociological modules to be a lot more dossy and blaggable. But then I'm good with opinions and criticism and possibly not so good at memorising hard fact, so that's why I find those easier!
Reply 8
Criminal seems fairly simple and is probably quite crammable if need be.

With regard to what other people have been saying: parts of Juris are easy, parts of it are stupid. It depends which areas you have to look at. For example, most of the stuff to do with Hart and The Concept of Law is pretty straightforward. But then you have Critical Legal Studies and Feminist jurisprudence which, to me, makes absolutely no sense at all.

The problem with tort is the sheer number of cases to learn. It's not really that difficult to get your head around it when you are looking at specific areas. The difficult part is remembering all the important cases in all the important areas. There aren't really any obvious areas that you can skip in revision.

Of course, it all depends on the syllabus of the university your at.
Reply 9
everyone told me jurisprudence is very hard to revise for...
Reply 10
If it wasn't for the fact that we only have to answer two questions in the general section of our Juris exam I'd be absolutely terrified. On every exam paper I've seen there have only really been two questions on each that I've been absolutely sure of, plus a couple more that I could attempt. I only found out recently that we only need to answer two.
Reply 11
Juris is very subjective. The marking criteria may differ depending on the examiners. That's the difficult part it seems to me.
Just about to take first year exams and I think that Tort is quite easy. UK Constitutional Law is also pretty simple once you get your head around the principles. In terms of the hardest, I would have to say contract. The breadth of knowledge required for the exam is so vast...it really is quite daunting. Plus the 250 odd cases you need to know. Funnily enough, contract is my favourite module. I also do EU Constitutional Law this year and I found it incredibly hard at the start but once you learn the whole syllabus and understand how it all fits together it isn't really that difficult. I'm doing commercial, land, trusts and equity, criminal, employment and family next year. Really hoping trusts and land don't bore me to absolute death.
i havent studied tax law but i have heard that it is heavily statute reliant which is good as so long as you can navigate the law then you should be fine.

Company law isnt that bad (I studied it this semester), although what i would say is that 2 thirds is heavily reliant on case law which some people prefer. Personally i just found it to be quite dry and boring (but my lecturer was awful so that might have had an impact there).

I would go with company law, as although it is quite dry, it is quite simple once you get your head around it :smile:
Original post by evalilyXOX
i havent studied tax law but i have heard that it is heavily statute reliant which is good as so long as you can navigate the law then you should be fine.

Company law isnt that bad (I studied it this semester), although what i would say is that 2 thirds is heavily reliant on case law which some people prefer. Personally i just found it to be quite dry and boring (but my lecturer was awful so that might have had an impact there).

I would go with company law, as although it is quite dry, it is quite simple once you get your head around it :smile:

Thread is 8yrs old
Original post by cherryred90s
Thread is 8yrs old

lol i didn't even notice haha ! Oops ! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending