The Student Room Group

Gcse English Literature Power & Conflict recommendation

Hi all for the actual GCSE I’m only going to revise 3 poems thoroughly- which two more do you recommend?

I’m revising - Remains need 2 more
I have to say bayonet charge- it’s a linker! It’s themes run throughout the anthology “green hedge” “burned like molten iron from the centre of his chest”
For another I’d say storm on the island it’s a great use of the power of nature theme
Another id say war photographer it’s got a lot of guilt and inner conflict - this one is my favourite “all flesh is grass” “half formed ghosts”
read up on kamikaze as it does link or even replace this one with kamikaze “green-blue translucent sea”
It’s a big risk only doing 3 as it limits you massively. Poetry is awful and so boring to revise but you could be asked a question on :
Power of humans
Power of nature
Effects of conflict
Reality of conflict
Loss and absence
Memory
Identity

So if you are looking to get at least a pass I advice you look over each poem and maybe write about the context behind it , the themes which ar explored in it and then a few quotes. Can’t stess enough how important it is that you know a little about each. Obviously we are very limited on time so I recommend you do
My last duchess, ozymandias , storm on the island , remains, bayonet charge , exposure , poppies, London , war photographer
Doing just 3 will make you panic in the exam as it’s possible those 3 will not pop up and if they do you may not know another poem to compare it with.
Best of luck !!

Quick Reply

Latest