The Student Room Group

Comparing Poems in English

When comparing two poems in the exam question in GCSE for english, can you compare it by saying they're both similar? Or do you have to compare 2 poems that are different to each other?
As long as you can come up with a number of points and expand on them, you're welcome to pick either way! Sometimes it's good to pick two that have similarities but also differences so you can evaluate more and have more points to discuss :smile:
Reply 2
I would always compare it to another similar poem as it is very easy to spout on for two pages how two poems have nothing in common and will not get you high marks. It takes a lot more thought and engagement (and revision time) to talk about how two poems are similar, and will thus get you the top grade boundaries.

Good luck,
You have to find a pair of poems that have lot in common but you also have to find the differences between them as you have to compare them.
Reply 4
comparing means similarities or differences.

so you could compare poems by saying:
“this can also be seen in...” or “similarly in...”

but you can also compare my saying:
“however, in...” or “in contrast, in...”

so yes, you can compare by using two similar poems and using two different poems :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by maria.3
comparing means similarities or differences.

so you could compare poems by saying:
“this can also be seen in...” or “similarly in...”

but you can also compare my saying:
“however, in...” or “in contrast, in...”

so yes, you can compare by using two similar poems and using two different poems :smile:

Ahh, I get it. Thanks so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Changing Skies
As long as you can come up with a number of points and expand on them, you're welcome to pick either way! Sometimes it's good to pick two that have similarities but also differences so you can evaluate more and have more points to discuss :smile:

That's helped so much, thank you!!
You can use mr Bruff if you are doing aqa

Quick Reply

Latest