The Student Room Group

Bullet points for gcse geography

I have heard people saying that you can use bullet points for gcses. As long as they Aren’t too short and simple.

For example: if the answer is “in hopes of finding new jobs” it’s better to write:
“People have migrated away from their home conuntries in hopes of finding new jobs”.

However, can you use bullet points for questions with 7 marks in geography?
Reply 1
idk about geography. i never took it to gcse.

but i remember teachers saying only ever bullet point if you’re running out of time and literally can’t write full sentences.
i was also advised (right up until a level) to write a plan on the exam paper with bullet points of what you planned on writing, that way, if you run out of time and don’t finish, the examiner will see what you planned on writing.
however i never did this because i was strict with my timings and preferred my plan being on the question paper.

so what i’m saying is, overall idk, because i did gcse’s years ago and never did geography. but i wouldn’t advise bullet point answers especially not for higher marked questions.
my view is why risk it? you’ll probably have time to write full sentences (that’s why they give you however much time you have), so just stick to the proper structure and don’t take risks. that’s what i’d do anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by maria.3
idk about geography. i never took it to gcse.

but i remember teachers saying only ever bullet point if you’re running out of time and literally can’t write full sentences.
i was also advised (right up until a level) to write a plan on the exam paper with bullet points of what you planned on writing, that way, if you run out of time and don’t finish, the examiner will see what you planned on writing.
however i never did this because i was strict with my timings and preferred my plan being on the question paper.

so what i’m saying is, overall idk, because i did gcse’s years ago and never did geography. but i wouldn’t advise bullet point answers especially not for higher marked questions.
my view is why risk it? you’ll probably have time to write full sentences (that’s why they give you however much time you have), so just stick to the proper structure and don’t take risks. that’s what i’d do anyway.

Thank you! You saved me from getting low marks for my geography and perhaps other gcse exams. You’re right after all, why risk it? Better safe than sorry.
The only questions I used bullet points for were the 3/4 markers that asked you to "describe" or "outline" something. These questions were accompanied by a map and were basically asking us to describe the location of somewhere within the map. Even then, the sentences were in full. We were taught to bullet point these answers despite the sentences being in full.

Definitely don't use bullet points for the extended answers (7/8/10 markers). Only use them if need be (e.g running out of time). There should be a QWC (Quality of Written Communication) question in there somewhere as there is in every subject, so avoid bullet points for these too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Dashazz
Thank you! You saved me from getting low marks for my geography and perhaps other gcse exams. You’re right after all, why risk it? Better safe than sorry.

well i hope i have.
i’m just a bit of a perfectionist so i personally never did it because as you and i said, there’s a certain amount of risk attached to it and it’s not worth it in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest