The Student Room Group

I think I'm going to fail my GCSES. (HELP ME)

So it's easter holidays now, and its just settled in that I am severely screwed for GCSES. They are really REALLY close and I haven't done any of what i'd call worthwile revision. I've attempted to these holidays, but I end up spending so long on one topic of something, and then I end up getting barely of what I want done. My last report was pretty crap:

English lit - 8
English lang - 8
Maths - 6
Geography - 5
RS - 7
Music - 7
Food T - 7
French - 5
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 6
Biology - 6

Writing them out like this, they don't seem too bad. But considering that the content covered in the tests roughly amounted to 20% of what would be in my GCSE, I think its worrying to think about what I would get in my actual exams.

Is it possible to bump up most of my grades to 7s and 8s? Or is it too late? Do any of you have any 'last minute' revision tips I could try to boost my grades in a short span?

Thank you for any replies! :smile:
You are not going to fail!

Just make flashcards and keep reading them. Do practice questions.

It isn't too late. Don't give up!
You can do this!
Back in the day student snorted something before exams, wonder what it was.
Stop worrying and start studying right now. Get to planning. Trust me.
Plan out your Easter holidays, what you plan to do. Focus on the subjects you find difficult and set goals for yourself.
For example: Monday - 2 practice papers of Maths; Tuesday - Make flashcards for Biology, etc.
Work really hard, if you've left your revision till now you really need to push! I'm in the same position though, which is why I mostly spend most of my days revising, but hey, you and I have got to put in the effort!
And don't worry, you've got a month still until your GCSES. That might sound horrible, but if you sit down for a day and start planning out your goals (as what I said above) for the week then you'll be good. When school starts again you need to put in lots of effort and plan out your week just the same. Revise your content, make sure you've practiced a past paper or two. And use your time wisely! I tell myself that if I have time to browse the internet or watch YouTube I have time to study.
Original post by theggbydealy
Stop worrying and start studying right now. Get to planning. Trust me.
Plan out your Easter holidays, what you plan to do. Focus on the subjects you find difficult and set goals for yourself.
For example: Monday - 2 practice papers of Maths; Tuesday - Make flashcards for Biology, etc.
Work really hard, if you've left your revision till now you really need to push! I'm in the same position though, which is why I mostly spend most of my days revising, but hey, you and I have got to put in the effort!
And don't worry, you've got a month still until your GCSES. That might sound horrible, but if you sit down for a day and start planning out your goals (as what I said above) for the week then you'll be good. When school starts again you need to put in lots of effort and plan out your week just the same. Revise your content, make sure you've practiced a past paper or two. And use your time wisely! I tell myself that if I have time to browse the internet or watch YouTube I have time to study.

I agree worrying about them won't make a difference. Make a timetable of what you have to cover everyday . This way you probably will have at least covered the contents for each subject. If you made notes last year read over them, watch YouTube videos , and do loads of past papers from now. I know people that were in the same position as you and only did past papers, yet they achieved straight A*'s . So it isn't impossible you just need a LOT of effort and motivation. If you have struggles motivating yourself , some YouTubers that i watch are : Unjaded jade , Lydia Violeta, Ruby Granger and Jack Edwards.

Good luck revising!
tbh your probably not the only one facing this problem so don't worry.
Oh and look at examiner reports, specifications for all your subjects so you know what the examiners are looking for and you know what you need to know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by beckyug
So it's easter holidays now, and its just settled in that I am severely screwed for GCSES. They are really REALLY close and I haven't done any of what i'd call worthwile revision. I've attempted to these holidays, but I end up spending so long on one topic of something, and then I end up getting barely of what I want done. My last report was pretty crap:

English lit - 8
English lang - 8
Maths - 6
Geography - 5
RS - 7
Music - 7
Food T - 7
French - 5
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 6
Biology - 6

Writing them out like this, they don't seem too bad. But considering that the content covered in the tests roughly amounted to 20% of what would be in my GCSE, I think its worrying to think about what I would get in my actual exams.

Is it possible to bump up most of my grades to 7s and 8s? Or is it too late? Do any of you have any 'last minute' revision tips I could try to boost my grades in a short span?

Thank you for any replies! :smile:

From what I'm reading I understand that you're getting caught up on topics and the opportunity cost is time for revising other things. From my experience students with this issue (myself included in the past) tend to have poor revision techniques. You're probably re-reading which takes time and is a bad long term memorisation technique. Try Active recall: either by reading and then trying to write down what you remember (without looking at the text), then fill in the missing information after a second reading. Secondly try doing the practice questions provided at the end of sections or chapters after you read them. The way this actually works is by strengthening the synaptic connections in the brain for that specific piece of information. Go see Ali Abdaal's youtube video: 'How to study for exams- evidence-based revision tips' for details. He's a Cambridge medical student so I'd call him a reliable source. Good luck.
Honestly I don't think you have any worries, confidence is probably your biggest issue at the moment! Those target grades are amazing and although its only 20%, you must have good all round knowledge to achieve that! My advice would be stay calm confident and collective stay focused on yourself your aims and your strengths and you will be just fine!

Quick Reply

Latest