The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ha, i don't think i'm going to apply - more because i'm resitting lots of modules and since my gcse's are fairly mediocre for oxbridge i think either would be just dying to reject me!

mediocre or below average would be anyone without straight As at AS/A2 and less than about 3A* at GCSE. i should make the distinction that grades below this are obviously great but i'm just comparing them to the oxbridge standard.
ninety_nine
ha, i don't think i'm going to apply - more because i'm resitting lots of modules and since my gcse's are fairly mediocre for oxbridge i think either would be just dying to reject me!

mediocre or below average would be anyone without straight As at AS/A2 and less than about 3A* at GCSE. i should make the distinction that grades below this are obviously great but i'm just comparing them to the oxbridge standard.

What were your GCSE/AS-level results like?
ninety_nine

this all sounds cerificiant for - to get a place inn this univ-i think?
Reply 23
i got ABBC at AS and A*A*AAAABB at GCSE. hopefully i'll get straight a's at a level but i really believe that a combination of poor GCSEs and resat modules'll weigh too greatly against me. i ask more out of curioisity, since this year oxbridge admissions seems to be slightly strange in our college.

those who have very mediocre GCSEs have gotten in and those with far higher ones have been rejected. in these cases where they all have straight A's and are of similar personality, i assumed that the interview must've played a crucial role (they all had interviews). thanks for all your concern though.
The best way to describe it (for arts) is a conversation rather than a series of questions. To some extent, the things they ask you will be determined by the current conversation because you may say something that opens up a whole new topic. They are flexible, and the interviews are supposed to give the applicant an idea of what a supervision is like.

Eg. I commented as an afterthought that Roman attitudes to young children reminded me of the thinking behind our current laws on abortion, and we ended up talking for ages about how far one can compare similar cultural practices in different societies. The trick is to go with it and not be phased.
Reply 25
This isn't quite what you asked but it adds an extra angle to interviews.

Having had some quite frank chats with one of our tutors, we asked why someone we knew at a different college, who had interviewed at Merton, had gone to a different college. Our tutor said that when interviewing, they had decided that he wouldn't have complemented the rest of the people they had picked - would have dominated tutorials etc.

It just shows that other things than your grades and your potential in your subject matter.
ninety_nine
i got ABBC at AS and A*A*AAAABB at GCSE. hopefully i'll get straight a's at a level but i really believe that a combination of poor GCSEs and resat modules'll weigh too greatly against me. i ask more out of curioisity, since this year oxbridge admissions seems to be slightly strange in our college.

those who have very mediocre GCSEs have gotten in and those with far higher ones have been rejected. in these cases where they all have straight A's and are of similar personality, i assumed that the interview must've played a crucial role (they all had interviews). thanks for all your concern though.

*shrugs*

Your GCSE results aren't "poor", and your AS results are the same as mine. If you actually had your heart set on Oxbridge, I'd actually suggest that you apply after you get your A2 results (which is what I did), because obviously AAA is more substantial than predicted AAA. :smile:
Reply 27
*pitseleh*
*shrugs*

Your GCSE results aren't "poor", and your AS results are the same as mine. If you actually had your heart set on Oxbridge, I'd actually suggest that you apply after you get your A2 results (which is what I did), because obviously AAA is more substantial than predicted AAA. :smile:

thanks for the vote of confidence, i'll think about it - i'm doing four A2s. if all go's to plan i may. are you applying to oxbridge?
Reply 28
ninety_nine
I have yet to met an Oxbridge applicant this year from my college who doesn't take themselves too seriously. The vast majority of those who gain interviews (sensibly) prepare vigorously, revising for it as though it were a test through background reading, rehearsed questions etc. Especially in the case of Cambridge who interview a high figure like 95% of applicants, what exactly are they looking to accept/reject you for, anything out of the obvious?

I can't help but Cambridge's interviewing system is a bit silly if they're inviting people they pretty much sure they're planning to reject anyway (due to grades/PS below the average applicant), wouldn't it save them time just to be as reject-happy as Oxford?

lol i had NO interview preperations, went for my interview with baggy jeans and converses etc. (don't even think i brushed my teeth that morning), turned up 15 minutes late (but luckily the interviewers came 30 minutes late lol), didn't even post on the website that i'll be arriving for interview (which they told me to do so in the letter) etc. etc. and still got in (lol?)

i didn't take myself too seriously, but you hadn't met me :rolleyes:. of course, the only reason i didn't bother with the interviews is because i had a "you're not getting in anyway" mind state at the time. at one point during the interview, i was even trying to decide if i should have a chicken burger or a kebab for lunch while the guy was talking to me.
ninety_nine
thanks for the vote of confidence, i'll think about it - i'm doing four A2s. if all go's to plan i may. are you applying to oxbridge?

I have an offer from Oxford. :smile:

Good luck if you do apply!
Reply 30
rachelcee
I agree... most people who got into Oxbridge from my school spend AGES preparing for their interview, are obsessed with getting in and think it's the only place in the world worth going to. it's a bit annoying.

If you minded your own business, it wouldn't annoy you.
Reply 31
madima
lol i had NO interview preperations, went for my interview with baggy jeans and converses etc. (don't even think i brushed my teeth that morning), turned up 15 minutes late (but luckily the interviewers came 30 minutes late lol), didn't even post on the website that i'll be arriving for interview (which they told me to do so in the letter) etc. etc. and still got in (lol?)

i didn't take myself too seriously, but you hadn't met me :rolleyes:. of course, the only reason i didn't bother with the interviews is because i had a "you're not getting in anyway" mind state at the time. at one point during the interview, i was even trying to decide if i should have a chicken burger or a kebab for lunch while the guy was talking to me.

HAHA you legend! (right i dont know if it's 'legend' or ledgend' - sorry if it's horribey wrong - i do lit as well!)

what did you apply to do? yeah well if i did apply i'd try not to take myself too seriously - i'd do some prep, read up on things etc. all the usual things so i didn't start sweating profusely in the interview. i just really don't like the kind of people of tell themselves they're going to oxbridge in like year 8 and take everything too seriously from then on after in the worries the slightest little thing will jeopardise their chances. nobody i've met on the TSR from oxbridge seems uptight though :smile:

congrats on your offer though! your natural intelligence must have just shone through haha. wearing converse for an oxford interview is also pretty damn cool!
Reply 32
*pitseleh*
I have an offer from Oxford. :smile:

Good luck if you do apply!

and there was me thinking you were just another 'applicant' :rolleyes:

well done on your offer!
Reply 33
ninety_nine
The vast majority of those who gain interviews (sensibly) prepare vigorously, revising for it as though it were a test through background reading, rehearsed questions etc.
I would be lying if I said I didn't do any preperation, but since all I did was work through some questions in a maths lesson the day before I certainly didn't prepare vigorously. I still got an offer, while several people from my school who did loads of preperation didn't. If you're not good enough, working hard for a few weeks won't make the difference. I bet interviewers could spot rehearsed answers anyway.
Reply 34
ninety_nine
HAHA you legend! (right i dont know if it's 'legend' or ledgend' - sorry if it's horribey wrong - i do lit as well!)

what did you apply to do? yeah well if i did apply i'd try not to take myself too seriously - i'd do some prep, read up on things etc. all the usual things so i didn't start sweating profusely in the interview. i just really don't like the kind of people of tell themselves they're going to oxbridge in like year 8 and take everything too seriously from then on after in the worries the slightest little thing will jeopardise their chances. nobody i've met on the TSR from oxbridge seems uptight though :smile:

congrats on your offer though! your natural intelligence must have just shone through haha. wearing converse for an oxford interview is also pretty damn cool!

Oxford boasts some of the worst dressed interviewers in the world. Bad fashion sense is unlikely to ruin your chances.
ninety_nine
and there was me thinking you were just another 'applicant' :rolleyes:

well done on your offer!

Ha ha, hopefully that might lend a bit more clout to what I was saying earlier - you do have a chance! :wink:

Thanks for the "well done", heh.
Reply 36
*pitseleh*
Ha ha, hopefully that might lend a bit more clout to what I was saying earlier - you do have a chance! :wink:

Thanks for the "well done", heh.

ha you almost think my 'well done' was sarcastic! i picked up the oxford university 'alternative' prospective today (written more by students i think...) and it has alaid a lot of my fears. they all seem normal and down to earth - many say they thought they didn't have a chance after GCSE.

and there's a picture of some nightclubs! they don't look half bad at all.
Reply 37
allymcb2
Oxford boasts some of the worst dressed interviewers in the world. Bad fashion sense is unlikely to ruin your chances.

ha, what's bad fashion sense to you? if they're wearing the tweed jackets with elbow patches that they are in my mind then yes, i'd be inclined to agree.

i suppose it'd be just as bad turning up to an oxford interview in a full suit when everyone else is wearing jeans....even worse if they asked "why are you dressed like that?"
Reply 38
harr
I would be lying if I said I didn't do any preperation, but since all I did was work through some questions in a maths lesson the day before I certainly didn't prepare vigorously. I still got an offer, while several people from my school who did loads of preperation didn't. If you're not good enough, working hard for a few weeks won't make the difference. I bet interviewers could spot rehearsed answers anyway.

yes but i can imagine for maths there's very little preperation you can do...surely you can't get significantly 'better' at maths in a fortnight? i'd think it was different for something like medicine, law, english etc. where you can do a lot of background reading beforehand.

i'd definitely agree with spotting rehearsed answers though, i'm sure a lot of applicants when asked 'why oxford' resort to spewing out two dozen names of famous alumni they found on wikipedia the week before.
Reply 39
ninety_nine
yes but i can imagine for maths there's very little preperation you can do...surely you can't get significantly 'better' at maths in a fortnight? i'd think it was different for something like medicine, law, english etc. where you can do a lot of background reading beforehand.
Although there are differences between subjects, I doubt they are that major. You can't get good at English in two weeks either, especially as any strong candidate is likely to have good knowlege of several areas of the subject already. Reading a few key texts in the last few weeks might make the difference for a borderline candidate, but interview preparation can't replace enthusiasm, the ability to reason and make judgements, a broad understanding of the subject or in depth knowledge of areas of interest within the subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending