The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicky Thomas
Who told you it will go down by £600 next year? They obviously know nothing.

You cannot predict the insurance markets and you cannot say "it will" anything could happen, someone could hit you, you could hit someone, premiums could increase. But tidy first car - Insurance is such a bitch

aye i was thinking that. All i can do is hope for the best
Reply 3001
Original post by G550NDH
Passed last month. Went to car giant. Saved up 6 Gs and my dad helped me out a bit due to my bday being quite close. Bought a 1.4 Golf 09 Mk6 ! ****ing brilliant car. Insurance for me and my dad ( Dad being named driver ) - 2200 on Zurich for the year. Paying insurance by myself. Been told it will go down by 600 quid next year !

Not bad but does that mean you are not the main driver? That means you won't be building up no claims, which do make differences. Or do you mean, you have shared it with him, and you as the main? Because I did that also with my mum.
Lowers it dramatically

First year just gone, I had to pay a total sum of £2,071, as I paid monthly installments, first year.
That has gone right down this year with 1 year NCB, to £1,170 believe it or not. I've paid it in full so don't have to worry about monthly outgoings as I did last year and its slightly cheaper that way too.
Reply 3002
Original post by AaronShort555
405307_3807441103516_244460412_n.jpgHey everyone, this is my first car, a 1970 morris minor :smile: £754 to insure, fun to drive, gets good looks, whats not to like?
apart from the reliability and fuel economy haha

Who'd you insure it through?
Reply 3003
Original post by Kage
Not bad but does that mean you are not the main driver? That means you won't be building up no claims, which do make differences. Or do you mean, you have shared it with him, and you as the main? Because I did that also with my mum.
Lowers it dramatically

First year just gone, I had to pay a total sum of £2,071, as I paid monthly installments, first year.
That has gone right down this year with 1 year NCB, to £1,170 believe it or not. I've paid it in full so don't have to worry about monthly outgoings as I did last year and its slightly cheaper that way too.

He said his dad was the named driver... meaning he probably is the main driver.
Reply 3004
Original post by Herr
The 2010 model of the VW Polo was a significant improvement over the previous generation, the 1.2l 12v engine went through some major improvements and the build quality improved a lot from previous versions. I would say it is definitely a better car to buy than the Mk5 Golf especially if you do not have any requirements for space.

With this budget I would pick up a nice new shape fiesta for around £6000 and spend the change on beer myself...
New polo is not a bad car but for me is a bad old man image wise and still not as good as the fiesta to drive although it has caught significantly with the latest model. Would not bother with the golf the 1.4 doesn't really move unless it is the tsi model which doubt you could afford the insurance on...

This would be ideal first car could car to drive and the 1.25 engines are quite nice revvy little lumps from experience. Mum has owned 7 fiesta's now never had any problems with them. Dad had a passat and a golf as company cars kept having problems gone back to ford now :smile:
http://pistonheads.com/sales/4139220.htm
Reply 3005
Original post by G550NDH
aye i was thinking that. All i can do is hope for the best

Whatever they told you is *******s no one can predict next years insurance.
Also unless you are the main driver wont be getting no claims bonus so if it was 2k this year I would think be more like £1700/£1800 rather than £600 next year as without no claims wont really save that much to be honest...
Also hope your 1.4 golf is the tsi model and not the rare normal 1.4...
I need help with deciding on a first car!

I was all set on a Yaris, because they're cute and reliable and I've learnt to drive in one.

But... my boyfriend says that I should look at what else is out there for that price. I've managed to get Yaris's around £2500, with less than 60,000 miles and less than 10 years old (haha, autotrader sliders).

I don't want: Ka, Clio, Saxo, Corsa, Peugot 206, or anything too big. I don't mind about doors or petrol v diesel either. Anyone got any suggestions? I've had a look at focus's and they come in around the same price as Yaris's. Thanks :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3007
Original post by linkdapink
I need help with deciding on a first car!

I was all set on a Yaris, because they're cute and reliable and I've learnt to drive in one.

But... my boyfriend says that I should look at what else is out there for that price. I've managed to get Yaris's around £2500, with less than 60,000 miles and less than 10 years old (haha, autotrader sliders).

I don't want: Ka, Clio, Saxo, Corsa, Peugot 206, or anything too big. I don't mind about doors or petrol v diesel either. Anyone got any suggestions? I've had a look at focus's and they come in around the same price as Yaris's. Thanks :biggrin:

The Yaris is a good choice, you should buy a car that you like not based upon your boyfriend's opinion, unless of course he is paying for it :biggrin:

As for what else to look at, look at a Nissan Micra and at that price range you might be able to find a fairly decent Fiat Panda as well which is a very good car for a first time driver. If you can spare a bit on car maintenance then an early model BMW MINI One or Cooper should be in that price range too but in reality the Yaris is probably the best choice.
Original post by Herr
The Yaris is a good choice, you should buy a car that you like not based upon your boyfriend's opinion, unless of course he is paying for it :biggrin:

As for what else to look at, look at a Nissan Micra and at that price range you might be able to find a fairly decent Fiat Panda as well which is a very good car for a first time driver. If you can spare a bit on car maintenance then an early model BMW MINI One or Cooper should be in that price range too but in reality the Yaris is probably the best choice.

Cheers! I think its a good car too, so I don't know what my boyfriend is complaining about! It's a very popular choice where I am (seen LOADS, compared to when I go back to my parents and only see like 3!) so its easier to find second hand ones that are good! I'll look and see what Micra's are like! I'm excited to go car shopping! Woop woop!
Reply 3009
I got a Punto as a cheap runaround while I got some no claims bonus, now I've done that I have an Astra :smile:.
I've gone and bought a Yaris, its only small (1.0l) but its 5 doors, 03 reg and done 33000 miles. Only £2500 and insurance is £700. Pretty cute for a first car that is being primarily used for going to work and back down small roads (no motorways!).
Passed my test about 18 months back. I'm currently driving an 07 Reg Grande Punto just to build up my no claims in order for me to get my dream car in the next few years. The Punto is not bad to be honest, but its just so underpowered with a microscopic 66bhp.

Saving all my pennies for the next few years (car terms) to buy my dream car a Mk II version of the Triumph Stag, the price is just about right and I can only see them going up in value in the future as they become more sought after.

By the time I'm 22 and if I haven't had an accident, (touch wood). I should be able to get insured on a Stag for about 800-1,000 quid perhaps a lil more if premiums increase. Currently, I've been quoted a totally insane amount of £11,500 a year for a car thats worth about 8 grand LOL.

I guess a 3.0 litre V8 is a no, no for a 19 year old xD, despite the fact that the Stags top speed is only 116MPH, which is rather slow in car terms, but its beauty more than makes up for it. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3012
Passed my test a year ago, got a 56 plate silver VW Beetle about six months ago :smile:

bit pricey on road tax, but cheap to insure, and cheap to run :smile: Love it!
Reply 3013
£5000, bit pricey, but so ****ing worth it! The previous owners were two women, who hardly drove him and kept him in great condition..
Always wanted one of the older, Herbie style beetles though, but got to say, I love mine!

What do you drive?
I love my Mini One. :biggrin:
Car was sold!
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi TSR,

As the title says, I am looking for a cheap, decent looking car - I have not driven since I past my driving test so really need something cheap. I just need it to practice and run around in if that makes sense.

I have not much knowledge on cars so any helpful websites or links would be useful.

Thank you!
Check insurance before buying a car. Every car is different.
Original post by Robertall
Check insurance before buying a car. Every car is different.

I agree. Get quotes for different types of cars you are interested in to see what the insurance is likely to be on them.
With regards to looking for cars, id try places like auto trader. Also look around for used car garages in your area and look at their websites to see what they have.
Personally, id recommend cars like vauxhall corsas, ford fiestas, peugeot 106's, citroen saxos, fiat puntos, toyota yaris's or hyunddai getz's. Id stay away from ford ka's.
Reply 3019
What do you want / need from a car?

I've no idea why people are reccomending ANY makes / models until we know what you're actually going to do with the thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending