The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Mr5.56
Alright driver crew. I passed my driving test this week and have yet to get a car so a few questions.

1) My paperwork and provisonal have been sent off for my new driving license. Do I need to wait for my license before I can purchase a car? I was told the DVLA will know I have passed so I'm not sure.

2) I'm looking for a new car obviously. And am unsure if to go to a local garage dealership or prowl around the autotrader/ebay adds. I'm looking for a cheap 4 door car with around 60k Milage. Will comprimise for a 3 door if need be, I need a car that will be traveling alot so comfort and space would be ideal. I'm wishing to spend up to 2k.

Any pointers?

Bump
Definately look at AutoTrader, PistonHeads and GumTree (great if you are in London).

As for car, look into Civic, Vauxhall Astra (older model) and Ford Focus.
Reply 982
Mr5.56

Bump

Most local traders should advertise their cars on autotrader too, so that's the best place to look. Alot of dealers put their cars on autotrader at lower prices than they do at the garage itself.

For cars, as above. Maybe a Polo or similar if you want something smaller, you can't go far wrong with most popular makes/models from 2000 ish on (or older really), as long as the condition is up to scratch.
Reply 983
Cheers guys. I'm still debating with my father about the way I buy a new car. I pretty much wish to buy a second hand car, around a 1.4 to 1.6 with around 40/50k miles on the clock max with a £2000 budget. He is proposing I get a finance plan from a dealership, brand new car around 100 per month for 3 years. Pretty much renting the vehicle with the option to buy after 3 years.

I will be travelling alot around the country and by dad thinks getting a second hand car will be asking for trouble, especially one with high milage. Which then brought the issue of petrol vs diesel.

Any input is greatly appricated guys, as I wish to get this boxed off this week.

P.S. If you're a blackberry user pm me so we can chat on bb messenger.
Look into dealership, even for 2nd hand cars that are offerinf 0% finanace.
Reply 985
Mr5.56
Cheers guys. I'm still debating with my father about the way I buy a new car. I pretty much wish to buy a second hand car, around a 1.4 to 1.6 with around 40/50k miles on the clock max with a £2000 budget. He is proposing I get a finance plan from a dealership, brand new car around 100 per month for 3 years. Pretty much renting the vehicle with the option to buy after 3 years.

I will be travelling alot around the country and by dad thinks getting a second hand car will be asking for trouble, especially one with high milage. Which then brought the issue of petrol vs diesel.

Any input is greatly appricated guys, as I wish to get this boxed off this week.

P.S. If you're a blackberry user pm me so we can chat on bb messenger.

I think for 2k you can get a really nice reliable 2nd hand car, You could get a really nice polo, or a lupo.
is it possible to get a nissan micra k12 for £1500?
Reply 987
spike_spiegel
is it possible to get a nissan micra k12 for £1500?

Very unlikely, you might get a basic model in reasonable condition for £2500+.
Reply 988
Inflation
Don't get a too cheap car, you will just end up paying to fix the car up.

Has that Polo got power steering? I don't think it does, so that might be something to keep in mind. It's not standard on old cars unlike now.

I've got a 1990 Golf, so similar to a Polo but slightly bigger. It doesn't have power steering, and I can handle it fine - and I'm 5'2 and very non-muscular, haha.
Ennui
Can someoen tell me why this car is £1500?

http://nottingham.gumtree.com/nottingham/52/33863752.html

Scam
Confused '1' for a '7'
Nicked
Owned by finance company
Cut 'n' shut

I would say the second one.
Reply 990
Inflation
Don't get a too cheap car, you will just end up paying to fix the car up.

Has that Polo got power steering? I don't think it does, so that might be something to keep in mind. It's not standard on old cars unlike now.

I agree with the above. Knowing what I know now I would have NOT invested in my L Reg Micra! 76K on the clock when I bought it, decent enough. However, in the space of a year, I've had to get new sills welded in, a new clutch, new brakes, serviced it, a tyre, and that's doubled the price of my £400 Micra to about £800/900 car.

I'm ready to shift it now and invest in something with a bigger engine and a bit tidier. I think it's a false economy sometimes. :o:
i know this may sound like a really silly question. i don't know much about cars until recently. i assume yuo pay insurance year after year right?
You renew insurance annually, but you can pay monthly or annually. You usually have to pay a slight percentage extra to pay monthly, though.
anyone heard of or with quinn direct?
what do you guys think of this as a first car?

bmw 318i 1989...
Reply 995
spike_spiegel
anyone heard of or with quinn direct?

I've heard of and considered going with them
Reply 996
spike_spiegel

bmw 318i 1989...

insurance could be an issue
:frown:
Reply 998
spike_spiegel
:frown:

ring with a fictional car and get a quote.

thats just my guess based on the 1.8 engine
Reply 999
spike_spiegel

bmw 318i 1989...

Personally I think those look nicer than the later e36 saloon. You could say it was almost a classic now too!

Latest

Trending

Trending