The Student Room Group

UK Medical Schools forum?

What would people say to a forum, like the Oxbridge Colleges ones, where each med school has its own thread, for current students to chat about the course there, and where applicants can ask about the place, all within the same medic area. This would be good in that it still funnels all medic activity into this forum.

This forum would be a trial, and its viability reassessed after a few months. Has anyone got any major objections or can we go for it :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So we have one forum which is more general and one which has the individual threads. Sounds good to me :smile:
i think this sounds a bit complicated.... would all the general admissions questions still belong in the main forum? what about questions like where's better here or here? i can see relevant questions being missed by people who can answer them really easily. also we don't have students from loads of med schools. also the same sorts of questions are relevant to most places and do people need to answer them over and over? would this just be an excuse for mass posting of the same questions because people are interested in many med schools.

i can also see them getting like the big contraceptive thread or the angst thread where yeah all the questions are kept together, but valuable/informative answers get lost over time because you'd never find them again.

plus i don't have any cool med school buddies to chat with only whiny applicants who seem more interested in being derogatory than anything else :puppyeyes:

what are the benefits of this idea, i can't really see them? maybe i'm just sleepy.
Is there much need for it...?

ATM, the "Current Medical Student" thread thingy suffices. I mean, how many Keele Medical Stuents are on here currently!? Same goes for UEA, and so on... Like 10 at the most...

Though, I am not in a position to comment.

Just seems like a huge waste of internet space.

In conclusion: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."
This idea is a bit to NMM. The thing i like about the TSR medicine forum is that you can see how things at other universities are going and you get a good overview without having to trawl through subforum after subforum (some of which remain barely active at all)
tbh the current situation is a tad annoying. the med student society is pretty chatty and if you want help with something specific, the topic has usually moved on before you discuss it really. threads fall off the page in around a day usually and non-admissions related ones tend to fall right off before people really see them.
Reply 6
yeah its not a good idea for two reasons

- the current medicine forum is running at a decent level - ie. every post is easily seen and answered and there is no (or very little) irrelevant posting.
- and we don't have anywhere near enough medics to have 30 odd forums all active.
bright star

Yes, and we don't have anywhere near enough medics to warrant having 30 odd forums all active.

Like Pepe said... if you want that, go to NMM.
it's one forum..... with lots of threads.

i didn't say i liked the idea, in fact i'm pretty sure i said i didn't, but you don't seem to understand.
Vazzyb
yeah its not a good idea for two reasons

- the current medicine forum is running at a decent level - ie. every post is easily seen and answered and there is no (or very little) irrelevant posting.
- and we don't have anywhere near enough medics to have 30 odd forums all active.

Just jumping in here, but if it's like the Oxbridge college forums it's be a single forum with a thread for discussions relating to each med school.

It seemed also from the poll results in the other thread that a medicine sub forum was a very popular idea, especially one for current students, though an applicants one also seemed popular.

I'd say this idea would go half way between that and offer a subforum where people can find discussion specific to a certain med school and if people are active within those threads then you could sort of keep a fact file in an early post which gives details for that med school and answers FAQs about that place and provide a pretty useful and easily findable resource for both applicants and current students.

So sort of think of it like a place for a load of sticky threads about a number of med schools...that would be good in here if only there weren't potentially so many med schools...so having them all in one place in a sub-fourm is the next best thing :biggrin:
Reply 11
I think there's not enough students at each medical school for it to be worthwhile, myself (except maybe Barts!) I like the idea of a current students section more than having a separate individual medical schools forum. That way we can have a totally applicant-free zone, whereas I suspect the other way we'd spend half our time answering "What am I going to be asked in my Cambridge/other medical school interview?"
yeah, why did you dump the other thread without asking at the suggestion of two people who mentioned this? when over half had voted for one thing and most of the people who said the other have very low post counts.
Reply 13
Helenia
I think there's not enough students at each medical school for it to be worthwhile, myself (except maybe Barts!) I like the idea of a current students section more than having a separate individual medical schools forum. That way we can have a totally applicant-free zone, whereas I suspect the other way we'd spend half our time answering "What am I going to be asked in my Cambridge/other medical school interview?"
Indeed. The only med school with even a few people on here is Barts and even then, there are only about 5 of us.

Most other med schools have no-one 'representing' them and as such, threads devoted to them and thus negating other's input, seem pointless.

I don't think this idea will work at all.
Reply 14
don't like the idea
Reply 15
Negatron.
Helenia
I like the idea of a current students section more than having a separate individual medical schools forum. That way we can have a totally applicant-free zone, whereas I suspect the other way we'd spend half our time answering "What am I going to be asked in my Cambridge/other medical school interview?"

I totally agree, though this was a great idea when it was suggested a while back. Make the applicants area a subforum like the "Colleges/Subjects" area within Cambridge and keep the admissions stuff on the level up.
Thats my vote anyway
Reply 17
I think I might be to blame for this thread, and tbh i'm against any form of subforums (subfora??) as you end up not venturing into those which you don't think will have anything for you. I doubt current applicants would get their questions answered as comprehensively/quickly if there was a forum for us current students - like NMM
Plus, there are already "KCL" and "Oxbridge" and "Bristol" forums you can ask in for direct information on a Medical School or university in particular.

This is a total waste of internet space ... definitely a no.

The main reason being there are just nowhere near enough Medics on here to warrant it... And the ones on here, are all from London and Oxbridge, except a few Mancunians and Liverpudlians.

Just a silly idea IMO...
Reply 19
j00ni
I think I might be to blame for this thread, and tbh i'm against any form of subforums (subfora??) as you end up not venturing into those which you don't think will have anything for you. I doubt current applicants would get their questions answered as comprehensively/quickly if there was a forum for us current students - like NMM

I'm not sure I agree - people on TSR are generally quite helpfu, so I'm sure there'd be enough people venturing into the subforum. And also, you can see whether the thread is going to be another 'question about admissions' one just form the title in the current system, yet questions still get answered.

Latest

Trending

Trending