The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Glasgow - Stirling commuting route

Hi there! I'm an Italian student starting the undergraduate History and Journalism course in September, and right now I’m in the middle of accommodation-booking-struggle:
I’m more keen on living in Glasgow, since there I have someone to share living expenses with (I did the counting, and even if I add train tickets to the budget it's still cheaper), and being Glasgow a big city it’ll be easier to find a job too.

So, is there anyone else commuting from Glasgow to Stirling? Or do you have friends ar Uni that do this?

What I'm actually looking for are people's "review" about that specific route (are trains often delayed? are the wagons old and full of junkies?), and not answers like "that would be such a drag!", because until now everywhere I’ve asked I was told not to do it as if it was the worst thing in the world, but I guess that’s because in UK University students are not used to commute: here in Italy we don’t have any campuses with halls nor private halls, so basically everyone commutes and the thought doesn't terrify me. I just want to get as much info about the route as i can :smile:
Thanks a lot!
hi, it's not something I do/did, however I am in Stirling and looked at commuting to Glasgow uni. if u r near city centre and can get on at queen street station, there is a fast train approx 25 minutes to Stirling and then it's a bus from Stirling train station to the uni (about 10 minutes) a relatively easy journey time.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by rosemadder
hi, it's not something I do/did, however I am in Stirling and looked at commuting to Glasgow uni. if u r near city centre and can get on at queen street station, there is a fast train approx 25 minutes to Stirling and then it's a bus from Stirling train station to the uni (about 10 minutes) a relatively easy journey time.

Thanks for your reply!
Yep, I found a room right in front of Queen street station, so that’s not a problem:smile:
Hey there,

In 2016/27 I did a Masters in Stirling and commuted from Anniesland (the far West of Glasgow) to Stirling 1-2 days a week with no problem at all.

I got the train from Queen Street and the fast one took about 30 minutes to Stirling itself and then another 20-25 minutes on the bus from Stirling train station to the campus. There are shuttle bus services that go back and forth in term time which are really inexpensive with your student card. At other times I could get a normal bus that went to the university campus, of which there are a few options if I remember correctly. I just looked these up on Google Maps on the day.

It was honestly one of the least stressful commutes and wasn't a problem at all. I know many people who have done it and said the same. I wouldn't worry at all, especially if you are used to commuting for university as you say is common in Italy.

Enjoy living in Glasgow and going to Stirling. :smile:

Lilith
Original post by lionG
Hi there! I'm an Italian student starting the undergraduate History and Journalism course in September, and right now I’m in the middle of accommodation-booking-struggle:
I’m more keen on living in Glasgow, since there I have someone to share living expenses with (I did the counting, and even if I add train tickets to the budget it's still cheaper), and being Glasgow a big city it’ll be easier to find a job too.

So, is there anyone else commuting from Glasgow to Stirling? Or do you have friends ar Uni that do this?

What I'm actually looking for are people's "review" about that specific route (are trains often delayed? are the wagons old and full of junkies?), and not answers like "that would be such a drag!", because until now everywhere I’ve asked I was told not to do it as if it was the worst thing in the world, but I guess that’s because in UK University students are not used to commute: here in Italy we don’t have any campuses with halls nor private halls, so basically everyone commutes and the thought doesn't terrify me. I just want to get as much info about the route as i can :smile:
Thanks a lot!

Original post by lionG

Thanks a lot!

h
Hello LionG, I'm an Italian student who will start uni in September at Stirling...are you still there? would you like to get in touch?
Original post by ElfinKnight
h
Hello LionG, I'm an Italian student who will start uni in September at Stirling...are you still there? would you like to get in touch?

Hi there! Yup I'm still there and living in Glasgow, just send me a message:smile:
Original post by lionG
Hi there! Yup I'm still there and living in Glasgow, just send me a message:smile:

thank you! I'm luke__ll on istagram
I'm not 100% I found the right profile ahaha, by the way I'm gretasolinas on Instagram:smile:
Reply 8
hey, did you end up doing the commute? If so, how was it?
Original post by GraceNM
hey, did you end up doing the commute? If so, how was it?

Hello there,
yes I did actually! As others said, it's a very easy commute, from Queen Street there are several trains going to and from Stirling, and the uni bus from Stirling station to campus is very frequent (10 mins but often less). As a foreign I even find the train journey quite enjoyable, with the typical Scottish scenery outside!
To me the trick was choosing seminars on the same day/on two days so that I didn't need to go to uni all weekdays, but only 2/3 times a week.
I think it gets slightly more stressful if you're not in Glasgow city center and have to get a bus/train within the city to get to Queen Street, but it's definitely still doable - especially now that face to face classes are few.
Reply 10
Original post by lionG
Hello there,
yes I did actually! As others said, it's a very easy commute, from Queen Street there are several trains going to and from Stirling, and the uni bus from Stirling station to campus is very frequent (10 mins but often less). As a foreign I even find the train journey quite enjoyable, with the typical Scottish scenery outside!
To me the trick was choosing seminars on the same day/on two days so that I didn't need to go to uni all weekdays, but only 2/3 times a week.
I think it gets slightly more stressful if you're not in Glasgow city center and have to get a bus/train within the city to get to Queen Street, but it's definitely still doable - especially now that face to face classes are few.

Hi lionG, I am going to be joining university of stirling in January for MSc Big data. I would probably be commuting from Glasgow too because I heard there are not enough part time jobs available in Stirling itself. I need to do part time work to manage my living expenses. So I wanted to ask what was the normal rent in Glasgow? If I get a job in stirling, should I try to stay in stirling?
Original post by ammarsh
Hi lionG, I am going to be joining university of stirling in January for MSc Big data. I would probably be commuting from Glasgow too because I heard there are not enough part time jobs available in Stirling itself. I need to do part time work to manage my living expenses. So I wanted to ask what was the normal rent in Glasgow? If I get a job in stirling, should I try to stay in stirling?

Hi there, I actually stayed in Glasgow for the same reason. There are more opportunities here, as Stirling is small and there are many students looking for part time jobs.
In terms of rent prices, a lot depends on the area of Glasgow you want to stay in: the West End is obviously pricier, but since you'll have to catch the train from Queen Street, you should opt for the area between the center and the East End, which is definitely less expensive. Stirling is probably less expensive then the West End, but it can actually be quite pricey because, again, it's a small town where lots of students flock each academic year, and you can rest assured landlords will take advantage of that.
Personally, I'm good with staying in Glasgow and working here, especially since uni is still mostly online, and I literally commute only one day. But even if you have more classes it's definitely doable, I did it during my first two years before the pandemic, and I ended up going to Stirling only two days a week, maximum three, by just signing up for 2 seminars on the same day.
Reply 12
Original post by lionG
Hi there, I actually stayed in Glasgow for the same reason. There are more opportunities here, as Stirling is small and there are many students looking for part time jobs.
In terms of rent prices, a lot depends on the area of Glasgow you want to stay in: the West End is obviously pricier, but since you'll have to catch the train from Queen Street, you should opt for the area between the center and the East End, which is definitely less expensive. Stirling is probably less expensive then the West End, but it can actually be quite pricey because, again, it's a small town where lots of students flock each academic year, and you can rest assured landlords will take advantage of that.
Personally, I'm good with staying in Glasgow and working here, especially since uni is still mostly online, and I literally commute only one day. But even if you have more classes it's definitely doable, I did it during my first two years before the pandemic, and I ended up going to Stirling only two days a week, maximum three, by just signing up for 2 seminars on the same day.

Oh okay. I'll start looking at places between East end and center then. I'll be in postgraduate so I think the classes will be twice or thrice a week too. It's good that we have a choice to sign up for seminar on our own convenience. Thank you for explaining. Hope we'll meet there soon.

Quick Reply

Latest