The Student Room Group

Modular resits?

I had a long discussion with two of my friends on modular resits. Basically they believe that you can't resit any module if you're applying for medicine. So I was wondering if thats true.

Also, if you can take resits I would like some opinions on whether it's worth for me to do some resits. I got A in chemistry can't remember actual mark, I got a B in biology (1 raw mark of an A) and a B in business studies (1 or 2 raw marks of an A).

These are the universities am thinking of if it matters:
Newcastle/Durham
Glasgow
Sheffield
Aberdeen
leicester

Those are the ones that am going to pick from.

Thanks
Reply 1
I think it's totally OK to do so. My friend(international applicant) re-sat his Chemistry 1 and physics unit 1 after submitting the UCAS form, he got an offer from Aberdeen just recently. I think it only matters if you're thinking of applying to Oxbridge as you will be required to write down all your scores for each individual module.
Reply 2
You can resit any modules as long as they are within the two years it takes to complete your A-Levels. Uni's don't like it if it takes you longer than 2 years to complete them.

To be honest, apart from Oxbridge most unis don't look too much at your module results, only the overal grade/predicted grade, so unless your applying there, resiting is one of your best chances to get a better grade.

I take it your in year 12 doing AS, and those were your AS January results? In which case, i would think about doing what i did. Because your results are so close to As, you can easily make that up in other papers. June is going to be jam packed with exams, so having to do resits as well will be hard. Do the exams in June, and wait for your AS results. Then you have a better idea of what to resit, if any.

You don't want to pile on the resits if it brings your other marks down.

:smile:
Reply 3
No am not going to apply for oxbridge. Yes am in year 12 and those were my jan results. Thanks for the advice. I think am going to do as you have said bonnie am going to knuckle down and get good grades in summer and then make my mind up.Thank you :smile:
Reply 4
OK, i just got a reply from Nottingham regarding this resit policy, according to the admissions officer from Nottingham, only one modular resit is allowed for each subject. I was absolutely relieved as i only signed up for one resit for biology, chemistry and math, and two resits for Physics. I've got all As for Chemistry and Math but i was just thinking of boosting the overall marks..
Reply 5
~Adel~
OK, i just got a reply from Nottingham regarding this resit policy, according to the admissions officer from Nottingham, only one modular resit is allowed for each subject. I was absolutely relieved as i only signed up for one resit for biology, chemistry and math, and two resits for Physics. I've got all As for Chemistry and Math but i was just thinking of boosting the overall marks..

man i really hope that isnt the case for the other universities. I took loads of resits, even the ones i got As in, just to make them better As :frown:
Reply 6
Exactly! out of my 5 resits, 3 of them are already an A, but i just wanted to get a more impressive overall score. The admissions officer told me if i'm confident enough to get an A at A2 level, DON'T resit, since they don't look at individual module's score.
Reply 7
Of course you can resit, though best to do so within your 2 years of A Level study.
Reply 8
The best thing that you could do is to confirm this with the admissions officer. I all the medical schools have different resit policies. Some don't mind resits while some could be quite particular in this.
Reply 9
Do unis get send the module results? Cause i always thought it was just the overall grade on results day.
If thats so, how would they ever know you resat?
Reply 10
You have to hand in the actual statement of results, don't you? I'm not sure if the previous resit unit's score will appear on that result script.
Reply 11
I'm not sure how it all works to be honest.
I thought, the unis get sent your results like a week before we get them. Then we have to show them the certificates when we get them, which will only have the overal grade?
If we get a final statement of results, with each module that made up our final grade, then they won't be able to tell which are resits.
Yeah check with ind. unis.

I resat many ASs alongside my A2s and carefully checked the admissions statements for unis. Most seem okay with this. Some actually state this is fine as long as it's within 2 years. The general consensus is that within 2 years is fine. Some say NO RESITS, but in practice if you apply with your grades after A2 they can't actually tell so...? :s-smilie:
Reply 13
So it all boils down to whether the university will be able to see our individual module's marks, or will all the units that we've sat for show up on our final statement of results.

Latest

Trending

Trending