The Student Room Group

Questions from American student applying to university in the UK

I'm an American student currently in my first year at Hamilton College in the US. I'm not very happy with my situation here, and I'd like to transfer to a university in the UK. I haven't taken enough courses in a single subject to transfer into a course at university, so I'd begin as a first year.

I'd like to apply to enter university for fall 2008, but I haven't applied yet (I'd be doing so in the next 2-3 weeks). Since I'm an international student, I guess technically I can apply through UCAS until June 30th, but since I'm sure most other students applied several months ago, would it even be worth applying at, say, the end of March? Would there be any spots left, or would my chances of getting into university be so significantly reduced that I should wait to apply until next year? And if I apply next year for entrance in fall 2009, would UK universities look down upon me taking the year off without already being admitted into university? Sorry I have so many questions... I'm just not sure if I should apply now or wait until next fall to apply and take a gap year. I'm really fine with either option I guess.

As a little background, I'm looking to apply to Geoscience or Environmental Geoscience courses, and I've been considering York, Durham, Essex, and Bristol.
Reply 1
Well what you want to do is get onto the ucas website, www.ucas.com , find the courses you're interested in and check whether they have a little 'x' next to them. If they do, that means they're in UCAS Extra and still have places available. If they don't, don't despair, apply anyway. A lot of universities will still consider good applicants well beyond the January 15th deadline, especially if they have extenuating circumstances such as yourself. I applied for engineering end of march last year and still got into UCL, Bristol and Imperial (good unis) even though the first two weren't actually advertising any vacancies. Since the courses you are considering tend not to be that popular I think you have a good chance if your academic credentials are in order. Definitely apply now, and if you don't get in for whatever reason apply again next year. Your application this year will not count against you.
Reply 2
I think it would be worth you trying to apply through UCAS for autumn 2008.

Your right when you say that most people have already applied and in the majority of cases had several offers, but I still think you have a chance.

Why not email the Universities and ask them?
Reply 3
everyone who enters has a fair chance. as far as i know, UCAS don't start looking at the application properly until the closing date.

unis wouldn't look down on you if you took time off. my cousin studied law at some uni down south, and half way through her first year she dropped out and took a two year break working in Japan. she then reapplied to do a course in japanese. unis see it as a normal thing...at this age, we're finding ourselves and they realise this.
Reply 4
Thanks so much! I guess I'll try applying this year and see how it goes..
ninaabbey
everyone who enters has a fair chance. as far as i know, UCAS don't start looking at the application properly until the closing date.

Tha last application date for which you are guaranteed equal consideration was 15 January (yes, even for international applicants), hence the advice above about checking for courses that are available on UCAS Extra to give the best chance of striking lucky.
Reply 6
ah, i see...well i knew there was a date :s-smilie:

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending