The Student Room Group

Which A-level subjects for Finance?

Hi, I'm currently studying in a high school in Malaysia (which is equivalent to gcse) and I'm so confused about A-level subjects. I've read a lot of threads here and different people say different stuffs.

I hate bio, languages, memorising, history, essays, formats. I love calculations, formulas, numbers, structures, logic.

I'm planning to go for the finance route, maybe a degree in financing. I'm not sure what to take in A-level. Is phy/chem difficult, useful? Should I take econs since I've never studied it in high school? Should I take a 4th subject in A-level?

I'm good in maths and physics while interested and good in the calculation parts of chem too. I'm thinking of going maths, further maths, chem. Are there any better combinations? Most of the people said that physics is hard.

Basically I'm struggling between:
Maths, further, chem, phy, econs

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I would suggest Maths, Physics, Economics and further maths perhaps but ultimately has to be your decision.
I tale maths, physics, chemistry and further...was thinking about taking economics but decided against it as the subjective nature of the subject is too risky. I've only done one year so far but physics seems manageable--if you're taking a degree with economics in its name it's best you do economics a-level, but you can also get into finance with degrees such as maths!
Reply 3
A Level Maths is all you need really, though doing something like A Level Economics will teach you how the economy works. A Level Economics is not necessary by the way. I am doing a PhD in Finance and I have never studied Economics at undergraduate level or below.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've done some research and just found out that finance diplomas have economics in them but finance degrees do not, this confuses me too. And just like what camfanclash says, a maths degree can get you into finance too but is there a disadvantage as you have no idea about what finance is?

If I were to take a degree in maths, should I just go for A-level maths, phy and chem (since I'm a science student), or is economics something easier to take?
Reply 5
Original post by Xnivx
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I've done some research and just found out that finance diplomas have economics in them but finance degrees do not, this confuses me too. And just like what camfanclash says, a maths degree can get you into finance too but is there a disadvantage as you have no idea about what finance is?

If I were to take a degree in maths, should I just go for A-level maths, phy and chem (since I'm a science student), or is economics something easier to take?

I went into finance with a degree in maths and yes you are clueless, I had no idea what finance was. Economics is not finance.

You can learn finance from a maths degree, the other way around is much harder.
Reply 6
Original post by ma_long
I went into finance with a degree in maths and yes you are clueless, I had no idea what finance was. Economics is not finance.

You can learn finance from a maths degree, the other way around is much harder.

Hmm it seems that there aren't any good maths degrees in my country if I'm going to study locally. Well then I guess it should be good to take a finance degree without any econs basics.
Reply 7
Original post by Xnivx
Hmm it seems that there aren't any good maths degrees in my country if I'm going to study locally. Well then I guess it should be good to take a finance degree without any econs basics.

Finance is all about managing a portfolio and the stock market. Risk and return. How companies get money to grow, debt vs equity financing etc.

Economics is about how the economy works on a macro and micro level. Economics is much more complicated than finance, trust me.
Reply 8
Original post by ma_long
Finance is all about managing a portfolio and the stock market. Risk and return. How companies get money to grow, debt vs equity financing etc.

Economics is about how the economy works on a macro and micro level. Economics is much more complicated than finance, trust me.

Thanks a lot! That clears up my confusion.
Reply 9
Original post by M4cc4n4
I would suggest Maths, Physics, Economics and further maths perhaps but ultimately has to be your decision.

I have these 4 subjects but plannning to drop physics . Will that affect my application in any way? I will still have Maths, Further Maths & Economics
It won't affect your aplication in anyway bcus you only need three a level's anyway. This also happened to me i choose your exact same subject but i ended up dropping physics bcus i couuldn't handle the stress, so i'm currently doing math, fmath, and econ. Lastly, i'll advice you to rather change physics to a more lenient/easy a level(ie music, Financial studies or anything ) if you are unsure about fmath(bcus i'm finding it very challenging and i wish i changed physics rather than dropping it completely )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending