The Student Room Group

Have i left it too late?

Exams are going to start in May, and i feel that ive already wasted the year. I did quite well in my GCSEs - 5A*, 6As - but im really failing my AS levels. Im taking French, Maths, Economics and Sociology and i seriously feel that ive left it too late to start revising because i havent worked from the start. I really want to take French & Italian at UCL but i feel that my other subjects arent useful and am just generally quite unmotivated...Can people pls tell me if ive left it too late?
Reply 1
you're only in AS year and theres plenty of time until exams to revise.

Stop wasting time asking questions you already know the answer to - im sure you know perfectly well that if you get off the internet and go do some work you are perfectly capable of getting the grades.
lol i havn't even started revision..and i'm A2, to conclude...

Your not late, you just need to relax a bit
Sarahl89
you're only in AS year and theres plenty of time until exams to revise.

Stop wasting time asking questions you already know the answer to - im sure you know perfectly well that if you get off the internet and go do some work you are perfectly capable of getting the grades.

couldn't have put it better myself...haha
I think your subjects are fine... :s-smilie:
Reply 5
hey, if you want that uni place you will find the motivation, and two months is way more than enough time for anyone whos determined enough to sit down and do what's needed
Reply 6
If you start today or tomorrow, you can easily learn everything and get good grades, even A grades.
You have about 2 months depending on your exams, enough revision each night will get you your grades.

Also remember if you try hard now and get good AS grades its easier for A2 as your AS grades are the ones your UNI look at.

So get the hell of TSR, start planing and implementing your revision timetable.
Reply 7
Your in the same position as I was last year. Except, you recognised your problem 2 months prior to the exams and i realised 1 night before. I revised all of last year's AS's in one night for each and got mixed results with E's in Mathsand F.Maths and A in Business and originally an E in Accounting (retook in Jan and got B). I did no work neither, but you can still do it as long as you start now. I suffered badly and as a result I didnt get into one of the 'top' uni's. But that's the only price I've paid really (except the cost of resits). This year, I have pulled my socks up and I'm now looking at getting the top grades, which i should have done last year. Good luck!
Reply 8
Ditto to pretty much all the above. For my January ASs I started panic revising about a week before the start, and that was for about 10 modules, so I'm sure if you're panicking 2 months in advance then you're cruising. Chillax and stop fretting.
Reply 9
I actually think this is pretty earlier to start revising - for AS anyway. You have a lot of time left, more than you'll need I think. I started revising two weeks before exams for Biology and English lit, and about two days for Maths and Physics, and I had As in all but one of my modules. I must admit though, I was pretty lucky!

I think the best advice is not to panic, and start working on your weakest subject first. If maths comes naturally to you, I don't think you'll need anything more than a week to prepare, so I would concentrate on essay based subjects first. Oh, and do lots of past papers!
Resits are a god-send, use them to your advantage! I was predicted all As, but in my January ASs I got Ds and Es. Retook them in the summer and got As. Though this did lead me to have to retake the ones I was already supposed to be taking in summer and catching up, but seriously, if you really want to get somewhere, doing double the work (i.e. 2 modules at one time in multiple subjects, if you have to) is nothing. If your school is like mine, the retake window should be open now (but check this) so you can sign up for any you need to. It's like, £14 a pop, but if you're serious about it, it is a definite option.

Now, instead of having the Ds and Es I had original in psychology, I have module marks of A, C (resitting!), B and B (both one mark of an A!) and B, with one left to go. It may not be incredible, but I mean, in one module I went up by like, 4 grades by resitting. in German I went from Cs and Ds to ABBBAB. If you are really worried about getting the grades, consult your teachers and ask them if resitting would be a good idea, and just get motivated by your ambitions to get working. You have plenty of time to revise :smile:

xx
Reply 11
Its not too late at all:smile:
Reply 12
Peel
I actually think this is pretty earlier to start revising - for AS anyway. You have a lot of time left, more than you'll need I think. I started revising two weeks before exams for Biology and English lit, and about two days for Maths and Physics, and I had As in all but one of my modules. I must admit though, I was pretty lucky!

I think the best advice is not to panic, and start working on your weakest subject first. If maths comes naturally to you, I don't think you'll need anything more than a week to prepare, so I would concentrate on essay based subjects first. Oh, and do lots of past papers!

100% agree, at AS-level you can get away with the bare minimum of revision, but it depends how much work you have done in the year. You can just coast the year and simply just make sure you understand everything in class and get the top grades. If you do no work at all though then you might need to do a bit more revision :biggrin: (as in my case!!)
Reply 13
i didn't really revise until easter last year. and i got 4As and they were straight As.
i haven't started revising now either but plan to do some during easter..
there's no point to panic and ask whether it's too late..just go and start revising if you are worried.
u are freaking me out. Lol i got like 12 exams in June and i havent started properly yet.
Reply 15
come on..there's no point to worry..you have the whole easter and weeks after easter before the exams! i'm not even stressed at all!
Reply 16
jkyng1
come on..there's no point to worry..you have the whole easter and weeks after easter before the exams! i'm not even stressed at all!

Well, you do have 4As at AS :p:
Reply 17
because i just didn't worry :biggrin:
well i did to be very honest..but i just keep up with all the work and seriously spend my holidays on pastpapers.
it's not too late
just stop worrying and start working!
Reply 19
right!

Latest