The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
grammar_king
It's called that because it allows you to maintain your education. It's to encourage people to go to school who otherwise would have dropped out to get a job. Duh...

EMA website
Whatever you decide to do, EMA could help you with the cost of books, travel, equipment or anything useful to continue learning.

Try again, pal.
Reply 21
Taintedblue_i
I think the problem here is that however they like usually has nothing to do with school. A lot of people are given money towards transport anyway and the vast majority use this the get a bus pass, so they can get to school anyway.

However, as has been mentioned, I'm sure some people really do need it. I know someone who helps out their mum with the money from the EMA. Perhaps that's not what EMA is intended for either, but I suppose people make do however they can. It's a shame that some people receive this aid and do not make full benefit of it, when others need it desperately for more personal reasons.

Yes, some people are taking advantage of the system, but it does help out some people who wouldn't be able to go to school otherwise - they'd have to go into work to help their families pay the bills. I think that your second paragraph illustrates exactly why I think EMA is a good thing.
Not perfect, but not unfair either.

I mean, shock horror, my sister actually used it to pay for the bus pass my mum couldn't really afford to pay for herself.

Some A Level students really are in financial woe.

People go on and on about those that cheat the system. I don't deny that they were there, but really, not THAT many people used it to fill the Porche that daddy bought them. As said, it isn't perfect, but it's a lifeline for some.

Just because some of you don't get a weekly allowance from parents, that doesn't make it unfair. Most people (in my experience at least) do spend it on the bus fares, the stationery, the textbooks, the school trips, lunches, etc. that people whose parents earn too much to qualify probably get without a second thought. Yes, there might be some left over, but again, not everyone squanders it on drink. Again, in my experience, a lot of people were pretty sensible with it.
Reply 23
grammar_king
It's called that because it allows you to maintain your education. It's to encourage people to go to school who otherwise would have dropped out to get a job. Duh...

The thing is though, if it's keeping people in education who want to be in education and would otherwise be prevented from being so, then it is a good thing. But if there are people who are only staying in education because they get more than if they'd dropped out, then is there any point in paying for their education? Partcularly as in that case it is not their education that is being funded, but their social life.
Reply 24
dogtanian
Not perfect, but not unfair either.

I mean, shock horror, my sister actually used it to pay for the bus pass my mum couldn't really afford to pay for herself.

Some A Level students really are in financial woe.

People go on and on about those that cheat the system. I don't deny that they were there, but really, not THAT many people used it to fill the Porche that daddy bought them. As said, it isn't perfect, but it's a lifeline for some.

Just because some of you don't get a weekly allowance from parents, that doesn't make it unfair. Most people (in my experience at least) do spend it on the bus fares, the stationery, the textbooks, the school trips, lunches, etc. that people whose parents earn too much to qualify probably get without a second thought. Yes, there might be some left over, but again, not everyone squanders it on drink. Again, in my experience, a lot of people were pretty sensible with it.

QFT!
I get EMA, and even if I wasn't getting it I would still go to school and I would still turn up everday.
EMA has been great for me, with it I've been able to get all of the essential books (My Poltics book cost £25!), and also more recently it has helped me get new shoes for school because my old ones broke - at my school we have to wear suits. If I didn't get EMA, I would have to ask my mum for money which we can't really afford right now.
I agree with dogtanian completely!
granita
I believe I should be rewarded for my all my talents and hardwork in obtaining so many qualifications, yet I go unnoticed. Also, EMA is supposed to be spent on educational products, yet I see many people who just buy clothes!

I would definitely spend it on improving my education as I study so much.

Actually, no it's not. I can't find it on the website now, but it used to say that it's for anything you want to spend it on. They gave examples of driving lessons and even CDs. Its partly so you don't need to get a part time job.

I think that EMA is good idea, but I do agree the system has its flaws. I got the full £30 a week, which to be honest wasn't really fair. My parents are divorced, and I live with my Mum who earns very little. However, my Dad earns loads, and as maintenance isn't taken into account, my household income was considered as only around £10,000 a year, when in reality its much higher. I'd say about 50-70% of people at my old school got EMA because they're parents were divorced. If someone is offering you money, for nothing, you're going to take it.
Reply 27
abbbbey
Actually, no it's not. I can't find it on the website now, but it used to say that it's for anything you want to spend it on. They gave examples of driving lessons and even CDs. Its partly so you don't need to get a part time job.

You need to look again.

EMA website
Whatever you decide to do, EMA could help you with the cost of books, travel, equipment or anything useful to continue learning.
Angelil
EMA website
Try again, pal.

You try again.
Reply 29
Yeah, cos CDs and drink are really useful :rolleyes:
Reply 30

Seems like they are just suggestions.
If you would otherwise drop out and get a job in order to pay for them, yeah it is.
Reply 32
Nobody's answered my question yet. Why is it a better idea to give kids the money in cash rather than giving it to their parents in vouchers?
Because most people are actually sensible with it, and it would need some radical overhaul in systems when transport to college/paying for school lunch/all kinds of stuff that currently can only really be done with cash are just as important.

School equipment doesn't just mean shedloads of refill pads.
Angelil
You need to look again.

Hence the "used to" in my post.

It definitely used to say that. It had little case studies, someone who spent their EMA on driving lessons as they would be able to get to college easier that way, and someone else who said something along the line of "I spend a lot of it on books and travel costs, but there's usually enough left each week to buy a CD".

I was in the first year to get EMA, and that it what the website said then. They must have changed it because of the stick it got.

In my experience, most people spend it on travel costs and food, not alcohol and clothes.
Because if it's anything like the vouchers we give to asylum seekers, they won't be the vouchers they actually need, so it won't help.
Reply 36
dogtanian
Because most people are actually sensible with it, and it would need some radical overhaul in systems when transport to college/paying for school lunch/all kinds of stuff that currently can only really be done with cash are just as important.

School equipment doesn't just mean shedloads of refill pads.

^^ I agree.
So perhaps an even better system than vouchers would be for people to buy what they need and then submit the receipts and get it paid back, like with professional expenses and tax returns? That would ensure that people who do use it properly get back all the money they deserve, whereas the little scrotums who don't spend it properly get nothing. Problem solved.
Reply 37
Angelil
Nobody's answered my question yet. Why is it a better idea to give kids the money in cash rather than giving it to their parents in vouchers?

Because for people like me, it means we can save up our money for university.

So perhaps an even better system than vouchers would be for people to buy what they need and then submit the receipts and get it paid back, like with professional expenses and tax returns? That would ensure that people who do use it properly get back all the money they deserve, whereas the little scrotums who don't spend it properly get nothing. Problem solved.

But wouldn't that mean that some people (like me) from poorer backgrounds wouldn't get any money and would either have to rely on my parents or get a job?
Reply 38
granita
I believe I should be rewarded for my all my talents and hardwork in obtaining so many qualifications, yet I go unnoticed. Also, EMA is supposed to be spent on educational products, yet I see many people who just buy clothes!

I would definitely spend it on improving my education as I study so much.

well i suppose the money is a reward for full attendance in school therefore you could spend it anyways u like
Reply 39
Angelil
^^ I agree.

Now, there's an idea. Reimbursement for essential expenses. But then again, they might not get their money back for everything, and whilst this would be fine for most, there are those who would need it for other things, or those who do not have the money in the first place.

---

I am still going to be a moaning scrooge though and say I find it unfair that they would "usually still have enough left for a CD each week". The last CD I bought was in September and I only managed to pay for that because my last school gave me HMV vounchers for getting the best GCSE results.

Latest

Trending

Trending