The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

I've heard that too - not necessarily true though! I'm going to Sheffield but I do want to work...
...might be true for some people though.
Some people that I've talked to come to Sheffield because of the music scene...?
I've heard the stereotype that it's either full of drunk slackers or hardcore indie kids...
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
lol great! ive applied 2 shef and that stereotype sums me up in 1!
neverknowingwhy
lol great! ive applied 2 shef and that stereotype sums me up in 1!

Which one?!
Reply 4
Haha, well I do know of some hard workers in Sheffield, obviously - but that's an interesting stereotype. Because at the same time I know those who missed their conditional offers at firm choices (e.g. Oxford, Warwick, Exeter) - and are now at Sheffield. I love the university though and truly think it's got the right balance.

But then, I'd consider myself fairly intelligent but can never be bothered to do any work (end up doing badly in exams) - so I could be a tad biased.
Reply 5
Mathy, Ace from Space
I've heard that too - not necessarily true though! I'm going to Sheffield but I do want to work...
Some people that I've talked to come to Sheffield because of the music scene...?
I've heard the stereotype that it's either full of drunk slackers or hardcore indie kids...

If i go i'll be doing spanish too.. might see you.
is the music scene at sheffield really any better than other cities? hahah that last stereotype made me laugh
shakerbaby
If i go i'll be doing spanish too.. might see you.
is the music scene at sheffield really any better than other cities? hahah that last stereotype made me laugh

Yay - someone else doing Spanish! Thought I might've be the only one...!
It's not that the music scene is any better, it's just that there's a lot of good music around - there's a lot of new up and coming bands from here, plus bands like coming to Sheffield for gigs because the atmosphere is INTENSE and really good!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
shakerbaby
i've heard the line that Sheffield Uni is for clever people who can't be bothered to do work - how true is this?

You just summed me up. Excellent :biggrin:
Yep, thats exactly what Sheffield uni is about.
Reply 9
Mathy, Ace from Space

I've lived here all my life and I'm neither a drunk slacker or a hardcore indie kid :p: In fact I don't drink and I HATE indie, so there you go!
Reply 10
I'm a drunk, who likes Indie music. But, I'm not a "hardcore indie kid".
wtid
I've lived here all my life and I'm neither a drunk slacker or a hardcore indie kid :p: In fact I don't drink and I HATE indie, so there you go!

Well, I'm not either either, and I've lived here for 8 years...
...it's just what a lot of people have told me as one of their impressions when they think of Sheffield, I guess :confused:
Ha...id say the first stereotype fits me perfectly...maybe not for everyone ive met though, but it has some degree of truth to it
Reply 13
very interesting...
Reply 14
but how attractive are the sheffieldians?
Reply 15
Surely it depends on what type you like :wink: I have a pic in my profile but I may be really ugly in your opinion :p:

Plus if you're going to uni, you'll be around other students rather than Sheffielders.
shakerbaby
but how attractive are the sheffieldians?

I know my fair share of good-looking Sheffiedians... (I'm liking the word...)
Reply 17
wtid
Surely it depends on what type you like :wink: I have a pic in my profile but I may be really ugly in your opinion :p:

Plus if you're going to uni, you'll be around other students rather than Sheffielders.

true, sorry i meant the people at the uni, not just people originally from there, but yeah, i agree it's totally down to taste!

haha i just couldn't really think of a better word for people at sheffield at the time, in hindsight sheffielders is the logical one, but i agree with mathy, mine is cooler :biggrin: and glad to hear it about all the good looking people!
Reply 18
shakerbaby
true, sorry i meant the people at the uni, not just people originally from there, but yeah, i agree it's totally down to taste!

haha i just couldn't really think of a better word for people at sheffield at the time, in hindsight sheffielders is the logical one, but i agree with mathy, mine is cooler :biggrin: and glad to hear it about all the good looking people!

Yeah it does sound cooler! I live in a place near Sheffield called Killamarsh - we are called Killamarsians lol. Everyone obviously used to make the joke about us being Killer Martians.
Reply 19
haha, embarrassingly that actually did make me chuckle

Latest

Trending

Trending