The Student Room Group

University of Manchester 2024 vs University of Sheffield 2023

Hello everyone!
need a bit of advice here :smile:

I recently got accepted into the MSc Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Sheffield for the 2023 intake. However, the University of Manchester offered me a place for the 2024 intake, citing that their current spots are filled up.

I'm honestly quite torn and confused about what to do next. Should I wait an extra year to go to Manchester, or should I just accept the offer from Sheffield?

Sheffield seems quieter, with not as much happening compared to Manchester, but I'm not sure if that's reason enough to turn down an opportunity.

I'd really appreciate your insights and advice on this!
Original post by xxz19961
Hello everyone!
need a bit of advice here :smile:

I recently got accepted into the MSc Mechanical Engineering program at the University of Sheffield for the 2023 intake. However, the University of Manchester offered me a place for the 2024 intake, citing that their current spots are filled up.

I'm honestly quite torn and confused about what to do next. Should I wait an extra year to go to Manchester, or should I just accept the offer from Sheffield?

Sheffield seems quieter, with not as much happening compared to Manchester, but I'm not sure if that's reason enough to turn down an opportunity.

I'd really appreciate your insights and advice on this!

Hi,

I have studied in Sheffield for the last two years and am about to start my third year.
When I was choosing which university to go to the modules on the course were something that helped me decide. If one of the courses has modules that you would really enjoy studying, that course will most likely be the one you enjoy studying and therefore enjoy uni more.
Beyond that, Sheffield Uni has over 300 societies including sports, crafts, languages and volunteering. Societies may have regular weekly meetings or lots of events that happen at varying times.
Sheffield has a smaller population than Manchester but does have around 60,000 students, and a lot of green space and parks which provide a nice area to have a break from uni and a busy calendar.

Let me know if you have more questions or would like more info,

Lizzie (BSc Maths and Philosophy)
Reply 2
hard to say. But if I were you, i would go for Sheffield, instead of waiting for a year. Time is more important. And Sheffield is excellent in engineering subjects after all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending