The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The UCL accomodation thread

I've really noticed that theres been loads of posts and threads started over the issue of accomodation so I thought why don't we have main one where UCL students could answer any questions:smile: That said I really can't believe how many people are asking/choosing which hall to choose when the allocation process is random anyway.

Oh yes 2nd/3rd years we can discuss about private accomodation.

EDIT: You may discuss anything about the accomodation here! I am getting quite pissed off at the numerous accomodation related threads still appearing ><

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good plan. I realise it's all pretty random and there's not much chance of influencing it, but I'm going to ask my question anyway! Have you ever been to Langton Close? What's it like ( I realise it's a 20 min walk away from UCL itself). Also, a brief description of your views on Schafer would be interesting to hear.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Schafer in 3 words: nice but segregated.

If anyone wants info on Arthur Tattersall (where I currently live) feel free to private message me.
Reply 3
What's the facilities (kitchen, WC, shower etc) to person ratio like at Schafer? Are all the flats for 5 persons or are they of varying number? And why not that same question for Arthur Tattersall, seeing as someone here has subtly indicated they may know something about it. :wink:
Reply 4
It depends, in Arthur Tattersall there is a vague pattern but there are exceptions. Basically think of a flat with 5 rooms, each with 2 people in (shared rooms mostly in Arthur Tattersall) - then each flat has one kitchen with 3 fridges and 1 freezer (no one freezer is not enough but deal with it). There are 3 toilets per flat (one toilet has a bath in it) and 2 showers, all complete with doors and locks. Rooms are not ensuite I am afraid, but do come with 1 sink, 2 wardrobes, 2 beds (duh), 2 desks, 2 small tables (if your room is big) and 2 chairs.

The kitchen comes complete with aforementioned refrigeration, 2 ovens, 2 grills, 2 hobs, 2 sinks, several chairs (both upholstered and plastic), 1 large table and 1 or 2 bins. There is no common room, the kitchen generally serves as the gathering place of the flat.

Toilet paper is not provided as standard, although you might get lucky like we were last term and have a cleaning lady who is stupid and does not know this (she gave us loo roll intended for a different house).

The office is open 9-5 weekdays and is where your post will arrive. Any packages arriving on weekends will be returned to the post office because our offices are staffed by lazy bitter people. The staff are pretty average, a bit incompetent and bitter but they usually get the job done. Also the wardens (who will answer the emergency mobile that you ring in the event you lose your keys) will hate you more and more as you keep ringing them up at 5am drunk because you're locked out.

Don't get too put off by my description, as much as I may sound a little bit pissed off at my accom I do love it, sharing a room is sometimes a slight inconvenience but it's nice, and I've met all my best friends here. Oh did I mention the fact that Arthur Tattersall is located opposite UCL? Yeah that's bloody fantastic, I will sorely miss rolling out of bed 10 minutes before a lecture (and arriving on time).

Basically Arthur Tattersall is pretty good, damn fantastic considering its price (approx £75 a week) and location - never again will you live in such a prime location for so little, especially considering you are a student and should not be picky at all.

Oh also there are mice, and cockroaches if you live in the basement. BLAH BLAH get over it, cockroaches do **** all and the mice are actually kind of cute (we've named all of ours, Charlie and Mildred with their children Alvin Simon and Theodore). It's London, be bloody grateful you don't have rats.

Sorry for the slight ranting in this post but last years experience has taught me that there are bloody loads of people who whinge, bitch and moan about things like "oh no I won't accept a shared room". You will all soon learn to live with it.
Reply 5
In 2 minds about accommodation :confused:
Reply 6
paddy

Sorry for the slight ranting in this post.

I didn't think it was either rant-like or negative. If only this kind of information was available for the other residences too! Gives a much better picture than the accommodation booklet.
Reply 7
So if I sent off my letter last week about accomidation, when will they let me know where I'm staying?

Sorry if its a stupid question :redface:
Reply 8
Not for months yet I'm afraid. I forget when we all started to receive letters last year, but it would have been August at the earliest.

Also I think I will start to update my first post in this thread with links to all the appropriate information this thread will have, especially seeing as it is likely that there will be many, many posts.
Reply 9
Also, a brief description of your views on Schafer would be interesting to hear

Schafer house is a reasonably good hall in my opinion and its close to UCL (and not too close like AT). People talk about its unsociable set up but it really depends which part of the hall you are living in. If you live in the sociable part you have like 5 flats in each floor and there are like 5/6 floors so if your flatmates are unsociable you could move around pretty easily. But some areas are isloated and require a key to enter and this is the unsociable element part of it. You live in flats ranging from 3-5 rooms with the latter being in the majority and you have one bathroom (plus one toilet) and one kitchen to share. The plus side of Schafer however is the privacy you would get. Quite frankly I can leave my food in my cupboard and fridge without the fear of people really stealing it from outside the flat and no idoit would go around outside my room pissing about knocking on my door at like 3am.... some I saw a lot of in Ramsay. The quality of your flat is random.... the old part of the building is like a hospital but the newly constructed parts are very nice and modern.

If there is one real downside of schafer is the lack of a decent commons room.

Toilet paper is not provided as standard

It is at Schafer!
Reply 10
isn't anyone curious to find out what Ian Baker house will look like? it's being built at the time being, and some of my mates from Ramsey practically face the opposite windows :P.
luckily i face the road at ramsey
two questions:

1.Are ensuite halls really as anti-social as people say they are?
2.Is accomodation done on a first come first serve basis as I haven't even sent my form off but some people have said that certain halls are already being filled up!
Reply 12
MediterraneanX
two questions:

2.Is accomodation done on a first come first serve basis as I haven't even sent my form off but some people have said that certain halls are already being filled up!

1. That depends on the halls/floor you are in/on.
2. Accommodation is not done on a first come first served basis. As long as you send in the form before the deadline you'll be fine.
Reply 13
Ahh Paddy, how has your Easter holiday been?

Who said that? Even the ensuite halls have shared dining areas and the setup is like any other university hall (well thats my experience from John Dodsgon)
Reply 14
so, as far as I understand this, I can only indicate one concern, that really matters to me (I.e. proximity to UCL, or cost) on the application form and also choose between halls and houses and the rest is up to UCL? or can I influence where I'm going to be staying?
Reply 15
Thanks for the info on Schafer. Useful stuff. The free toilet paper nearly decides it! :wink:
Anyone got any insider information on Langton Close that they'd like to divulge.
Reply 16
gioms
so, as far as I understand this, I can only indicate one concern, that really matters to me (I.e. proximity to UCL, or cost) on the application form and also choose between halls and houses and the rest is up to UCL? or can I influence where I'm going to be staying?

You can write a small note on the form (i.e. please could you consider placing me in ____), but there's no guarantee it will work.
Reply 17
Mumintroll

Anyone got any insider information on Langton Close that they'd like to divulge.

I live in Frances Gardner, which is immediately next to Langton Close. The Langton close facilities are shared by Frances Gardner residents; so they're sort of 'sister halls'. As such, although I don't actually live there, I'm pretty familiar with it and I know quite a few people who live there.

It used to be an old nursing home, and so it does have that clinical feel to the place in the corridors etc. It also has quite a musty smell which is neither foul nor pleasant, but I'm sure one gets used to it. It is a little bit run down but for all intents and purposes seems to work just fine. It has a computer room, a laundry, good reception services, and a common room with a TV, (new) table tennis table and pool table.

The accommodation is arranged in 'flat clusters' which means that off the corridors are more corridors, which share a kitchen, one or two bathrooms and then 6-8 bedrooms.

Langton Close seems pretty good to me, and the social life is on a par with Frances gardener, if not better, but not in the league of Ramsay (for eg.).

Hope this helps, I welcome rep. :p:
Reply 18
In the end you're all bound to have a great time no matter where you end up, unless you lock yourself in your room and don't talk to anyone.
it's a bit like my neighbour at Ramsey. i have NO idea what he's calle.d He's never around and never hangs with the rest of the corridor. and we're always up to something.
Fresher's will be a great way to meet new people, and just party hard and don't worry bout doing anything stupid/embarassing. It'll just make you seem even more social and approachable.
Everyone's in the same boat, not knowing anyone, and each year everyone turns out great :biggrin:
then i guess there is the practical factor of living close, but you know, you only live in halls once and it's GREEEEEEEEAT
Reply 19
paddy
You can write a small note on the form (i.e. please could you consider placing me in ____), but there's no guarantee it will work.

Has this worked for anyone ? I'm considering trying it.

Latest