The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Joanna May
You wouldn't have to work work that many hours, you could easily fit in a couple of mornings/afternoons or days at the weekend. And by having a job, you'd have more money to pay off your fees when you graduate. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Hmmmmmmmmmm yeah, I guess, I think I might just get settled in and then look at getting a job after a month or two, even if it's just one or two evenings a week, an extgra £100 would make the difference I guess.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Yeah, I wouldn't want a job for the first week, obviously, but it's quite easy to fit in a job if you have good time management skills! I worked 17 hours a week through sixth form, and I still had time for a social life and to get my work done, and that was while I was doing eight hour schools days!

I'm sure it'd be easy to find a job in London. The wages'll be higher than in other places too, so you'd have to work less hours than in other cities!
CYensePHIction
May be true, but supposedly its a 30 minute walk from campus which wouldn't be fun every day :smile:

That's why the 29 bus conveniently stops right outside.

Bus pass costs £35 a month, still a serious saving on Ramsay if you go there purely because it's closer.
Reply 783
Joanna May
Yeah, I wouldn't want a job for the first week, obviously, but it's quite easy to fit in a job if you have good time management skills! I worked 17 hours a week through sixth form, and I still had time for a social life and to get my work done, and that was while I was doing eight hour schools days!

I'm sure it'd be easy to find a job in London. The wages'll be higher than in other places too, so you'd have to work less hours than in other cities!

That's true!

Well, I work at John Lewis at the moment, so probs would be easy to get a job at the one in Oxford street, maybe a Sunday a week wouldn't be too bad :biggrin: I think I'll probably save up a bit more of what I'm earning now too.
Joanna May

It's not the same though tbh. I worked 16 hours per week, had an amazing social life (out 3 times a week in Liverpool city centre), had a boyfriend and went to school obv, doing 5 subjects and not your usual 3...
I would not be able to cope with the job I had last year, even though I do similar hours, if not less hours than I did last yr.
Couldxbe
It's not the same though tbh. I worked 16 hours per week, had an amazing social life (out 3 times a week in Liverpool city centre), had a boyfriend and went to school obv, doing 5 subjects and not your usual 3...
I would not be able to cope with the job I had last year, even though I do similar hours, if not less hours than I did last yr.

How is it different? I'm genuinely interested. Seems logical to me that doing less hours in actual lessons would mean that if I manage my time properly and don't slob around like my friends so in their spare time, there's no reason I couldn't work the same hours per week as I do now. Even if we said I was spending the equivalent of 8 hours a day either in lectures or doing my reading/coursework/revision whatever, I don't see why my free time in which to work part time is any different?
Joanna May
How is it different? I'm genuinely interested. Seems logical to me that doing less hours in actual lessons would mean that if I manage my time properly and don't slob around like my friends so in their spare time, there's no reason I couldn't work the same hours per week as I do now. Even if we said I was spending the equivalent of 8 hours a day either in lectures or doing my reading/coursework/revision whatever, I don't see why my free time in which to work part time is any different?

The time isn't different no, but the difficulty is. Like my days are hard now, and obviously you're not doing the same course or whatever but my lectures are stimulating but you need to concentrate, workshops the same and obviously lab experiments you can't be tired otherwise it's dangerous! I spend around 6 hours a day in, and then I have extra work ontop of that. I'd be way too tired now to do 16 hours.
Couldxbe
The time isn't different no, but the difficulty is. Like my days are hard now, and obviously you're not doing the same course or whatever but my lectures are stimulating but you need to concentrate, workshops the same and obviously lab experiments you can't be tired otherwise it's dangerous! I spend around 6 hours a day in, and then I have extra work ontop of that. I'd be way too tired now to do 16 hours.

Oh,well I'm not a science student. I'll have about three hours a day. So quite easy for me to keep a job,I'd have thought.
Joanna May
Oh,well I'm not a science student. I'll have about three hours a day. So quite easy for me to keep a job,I'd have thought.

:o: I didn't know what course you were doing. But you do know whatever time I'm in and your not you're meant to be doing 'independent study' :p: :p:
Reply 789
Yes the but independent study which non-science students should be doing is nearly always carried out asleep or in the bar !
Reply 790
how much do meals cost in general in the catered colleges?

What sort of food do they cook?
Reply 791
saeun

If you are living in a catered hall it works out at about £2 something a day [edit: forgot to say, yeah it's included, but if you are going away you can claim back the cost of food for the time]. If you are self-catered and just go for a meal the price depends on which halls, ranging from £3.50-5. I'm self catered but have been to a few dinners in an intercollegiate hall, the food wasn't amazing but it was plentiful and satisfying.
If you're catered, it's included in your rent.
Reply 793
Hi, I'm going to do an MSc course at UCL next year and just submitted my accommodation application. How slim exactly are the chances of getting a place as a UK graduate student? I think we are the last people to be allocated. I was really looking forward to living in halls one last time, but it seems I should abandon hope now..?
oCapulet
Hi, I'm going to do an MSc course at UCL next year and just submitted my accommodation application. How slim exactly are the chances of getting a place as a UK graduate student? I think we are the last people to be allocated. I was really looking forward to living in halls one last time, but it seems I should abandon hope now..?

My hall, Hawkridge, is chock full of postgrads. In fact of the ~250 residents, probably about 160 are postgrads.
Reply 795
Good, thanks. Does anyone know of other halls that postgrads are mainly put into? I'm trying to guess at an overall figure, though I assume most of those places will be for international students. The accommodation booklet isn't that helpful here, basically the message is 'please, just go away.' :tongue:
saeun

its inclluded in the price. The food isnt great but not terrible. They usually have three options; veggie, then a meat based dish and a fish, or something tonight.

tonight was; chicken (which was nice), or cheese and broccoli bake or pollock (apparently a type of fish) with rice or roast potatoes, then you choose veg or salad (DEFINATELY CANT HAVE BOTH. They make that clear). I usually go for the salad, its quite good. Lots of choice.

then dessert was some kind of crumble or [tinned] fruit salad with yoghurt or fresh fruit (apple/ banana/ pear/ orange...nothing too fancy). Oh and they have soup and bread too for starters. The soups a bit hit and miss. Sometimes its nice but other times it's just the leftovers from yesterday.
Reply 797
Question, not really accommodation related but might as well ask it here seeing as you people seem to know your stuff (obviously because you're UCL students lol).

How much do you spend, on everything, a week...i.e. what are the weekly costs of living?
El Mariachi
Question, not really accommodation related but might as well ask it here seeing as you people seem to know your stuff (obviously because you're UCL students lol).

How much do you spend, on everything, a week...i.e. what are the weekly costs of living?

£90 minimum rent, rising up to about £140 for Ramsay.
I'm on about £15 a week basic on food at the moment; cutting down luxuries is quite hard! You won't need to spend as much if you're catered, but bear in mind your mealtimes are restricted.

Transport depends on where you live. If you're out of town, it should be about £9 a week, less if you're in Ramsay, Astor, Campbell House or wherever.

The rest is yours to deal with. Alcohol, books, clubbing, sex, whatever.
Reply 799
hhhmmm this is quite embarassing. But is it difficult to get a place at a UCL self-catered hall in your third year? I'm also hoping the area where I am living has absolutely no first years. The cost of living in prvate accomodation is too much for me and my housemates are doing my head in.

Latest

Trending

Trending