The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Joanna May
Well on the form there's a list of factors and tick which one is your most important things. So if you ticked "single room" as your preference and then wrote it on the bottom of the form again, it might piss them off.

Ah, I see, didn't realise that :p:
Cheers :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 981
onebyone
hi! i know this is probably similar to so many other questions... ive read a few pages, but the 50+ pages of this threads a bit daunting when ive just woken up!! i was wondering if i could get some advice on which are the best self-catered in terms of the actual rooms/facilities, but also friendly socialness and distance etc? thanks a lot!
and is there anyway to avoid shared? really would prefer my own! thanks!

I'd say in terms of friendliness, it's down to the people who live there to make it friendly or not.
Just write as your main preference a single room, then its very unlikely you will get a shared room.
I'm at James Lighthill, and the rooms are good size and ensuite. In the main building there's 5 floors each with 3 flats of 7 or 8 rooms. Theres a fair sized common room, with free pool table, basic TV, vending machine.
And as I said its the people who make it good, and the people who actually socialize are all really nice and friendly.
To get into the site where the halls are, you get a swipe card, then to get into the James Lighthill Building you swipe again. And theres a secure fence around the site and 24hr security guard.
In terms of distance its one of the furthest but its still only a 15-20 minute walk. And there's a bus stop about 20 seconds from the halls, and any bus from there (73, 205, 214, 476, 30) takes you to gower street (UCL) or Euston (which is across the road from UCL).
So I would say James Lighthill is the best halls this year :P but its only because of the people. so i guess its down to luck whether you get sociable people in the halls or not.
Hey all,
Just wanted to ask,

Do UCL students under age of 19 who apply for self catered get offered twin rooms most of the time?

And also,

Are there any students out there who are in twin rooms who can tell me what the rooms are like? Can you keep your belongings safe? And is it good sharing a room with a complete stranger?

Please Quote and Reply
THANKS! =)
Reply 983
I sent off the ucl accommodation form this morning. finally. haha

but now I realise I should have spent it special delivery instead of recorded 1st class.
I just sent mine 1st class, and I got the reply 2 days after, so I wouldn't worry! Have faith in the Royal mail :smile: x
Reply 985
funkybuddha
Hey all,
Just wanted to ask,

Do UCL students under age of 19 who apply for self catered get offered twin rooms most of the time?

And also,

Are there any students out there who are in twin rooms who can tell me what the rooms are like? Can you keep your belongings safe? And is it good sharing a room with a complete stranger?

Please Quote and Reply
THANKS! =)

i)It varies, under 19's are more likely to be put in a shared room than older people are, but it varies between halls - some SC ones are mostly single rooms, so if you were there, you'd probably get a single, whereas others (like mine) are mostly shared, so you're far more likely to get a shared room. (The 3 single rooms in my flat of 11 rooms, were allocated to 1 20yr old and 2 exchange students from America and Canada, who are both 3rd yrs at their home unis, I believe). Having said that, most of my friends who are SC are in single rooms (actually, come to think of it, most of them are 19+, so that might have something to do with it, but still). Luck of the draw really.

ii)I'm in a shared room this year, is there anything specific you want to know about sharing (what's it like is quite open ended, and I'd be here for ages trying to answer it, and not get round to doing the work I'm meant to be doing this afternoon!)
Yes, you can keep your belongings safe - in my room at least, there aren't any locking cupboards or anything within the room, though obviously the door locks (it locks automatically on closing, but we've set it to stay unlocked - just easier/quieter when we're both coming in and out at different hours, and you don't need to take your keys if you're just going out to the toilet/shower/kitchen etc.) Obviously there's an element of trusting your roommate involved, but I haven't heard of anyone's roommate stealing from them or anything like that - where are they going to hide anything they've pinched from you? Plus, as the only other person with a key to the room, it'd be fairly obvious most of the time.
Sharing with a complete stranger - you can make a friend for life, or like in my case, we have next to nothing in common, but we get on well enough (arguing with someone who you're living in the same room as for the next few months is probably not a wise idea) and of course it makes the rent significantly cheaper. Plus it makes me appreciate having my own room when I go back to my parents house/when I'm living out next year.
It isn't as horrific as most people think initially, but of course you do wish you had your own room every now and then. But I'm saving £30 p/w, so tis worth it really.

C-
Reply 986
I'm not worried about not getting along with the person I'll be sharing with (unless they are really narcissistic or grumpy) I'm just worried about them sharing something in common with me.

Does anyone know if there's any architecture students in Arthur Tattersall?

tomangegi
I just sent mine 1st class, and I got the reply 2 days after, so I wouldn't worry! Have faith in the Royal mail :smile: x

haha no I meant because I included that acknowledgement card with a post stamp inside the envelope, so sending it as recorded was just...pointless as I'll get that confirmation card anyway once they've received it.
I sent my form off about two weeks ago and just rang to see if they got. Because mine was printed off the internet, it didn't have a postcard with it, you see. The lady said that they'd received about 300 applications, but only processed 100, so they weren't sure about mine. So I won't panic just yet!
Reply 988
Oh I see.

So...what exactly did you write in your little note? :biggrin:
I guess if you put the postcard in, they'll just mail it back as soon as they receive it, whereas with mine they don't think I want to know!

I just kept it simple and just said "Please, can I be in a shared in AT please?". I thought about trying to bribe them with croissants and baguettes, but thought they might think I was taking the piss XD What did you write?
9mm
I'm not worried about not getting along with the person I'll be sharing with (unless they are really narcissistic or grumpy) I'm just worried about them sharing something in common with me.

Does anyone know if there's any architecture students in Arthur Tattersall?

haha no I meant because I included that acknowledgement card with a post stamp inside the envelope, so sending it as recorded was just...pointless as I'll get that confirmation card anyway once they've received it.

Ah ye I get it now lol I still haven't received any forms from UCL (probably wont now seeing as they've received the form i printed off) so I just stuck a self addressed envelope in mine! Worked like a charm! x
Reply 991
Joanna May
I guess if you put the postcard in, they'll just mail it back as soon as they receive it, whereas with mine they don't think I want to know!

I just kept it simple and just said "Please, can I be in a shared in AT please?". I thought about trying to bribe them with croissants and baguettes, but thought they might think I was taking the piss XD What did you write?

Did you also staple pictures of you crying <-- this is what will happen if you DON'T GIVE ME AT!!!11

:p:

wow that is brief, that makes my note look like an essay. I didn't even say please. :indiff:

I said something like:

Hi,

I'd (really) love to be placed in .......... House and if that is in any way possible I'd be SOO grateful.

Thank you so much,

Dean <BIG SMILEY INSERTED>
Well if you don't say "please" you won't get anything. Did your parents never teach you manners, boy? :p:

I could have cut off a toe or something to prove how dedicated I was to AT. Or threatened to move in anyway, if they didn't give me a room!
Reply 993
BUT, I said it in a different way and 'please' might sound just...too begging. :p:

Now that I think of it however, I'm starting to worry. You think it might ruined my small miraculous percentage chance of them actually willing to help me out with my choice?
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of trying for Ian Baker house, it sounds pretty good from what I've read in this thread!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the bathrooms and communal areas are like! There are a couple of pics on the website but are the kitchens nice and big? How many people share a flat? Is there anything bad about Ian Baker? I just want to be near the uni, and also have a good social-ness without en-suite! So many questions!

Thanks!
9mm
BUT, I said it in a different way and 'please' might sound just...too begging. :p:

Now that I think of it however, I'm starting to worry. You think it might ruined my small miraculous percentage chance of them actually willing to help me out with my choice?

I highly doubt it :p:

I'm still paranoid that I forgot to write "AT House" in the note I made, since I wrote the sentence and left the house name blank so I could check the spelling. I know it's not important if I forgot it, but would be nice to think I might have a tiny sway over things!

I love TSR. It'll be nice to know someone on the first day if we both get AT!
Meg_Lili
i)It varies, under 19's are more likely to be put in a shared room than older people are, but it varies between halls - some SC ones are mostly single rooms, so if you were there, you'd probably get a single, whereas others (like mine) are mostly shared, so you're far more likely to get a shared room. (The 3 single rooms in my flat of 11 rooms, were allocated to 1 20yr old and 2 exchange students from America and Canada, who are both 3rd yrs at their home unis, I believe). Having said that, most of my friends who are SC are in single rooms (actually, come to think of it, most of them are 19+, so that might have something to do with it, but still). Luck of the draw really.

ii)I'm in a shared room this year, is there anything specific you want to know about sharing (what's it like is quite open ended, and I'd be here for ages trying to answer it, and not get round to doing the work I'm meant to be doing this afternoon!)
Yes, you can keep your belongings safe - in my room at least, there aren't any locking cupboards or anything within the room, though obviously the door locks (it locks automatically on closing, but we've set it to stay unlocked - just easier/quieter when we're both coming in and out at different hours, and you don't need to take your keys if you're just going out to the toilet/shower/kitchen etc.) Obviously there's an element of trusting your roommate involved, but I haven't heard of anyone's roommate stealing from them or anything like that - where are they going to hide anything they've pinched from you? Plus, as the only other person with a key to the room, it'd be fairly obvious most of the time.
Sharing with a complete stranger - you can make a friend for life, or like in my case, we have next to nothing in common, but we get on well enough (arguing with someone who you're living in the same room as for the next few months is probably not a wise idea) and of course it makes the rent significantly cheaper. Plus it makes me appreciate having my own room when I go back to my parents house/when I'm living out next year.
It isn't as horrific as most people think initially, but of course you do wish you had your own room every now and then. But I'm saving £30 p/w, so tis worth it really.

C-

hey thanks for the reply!! appreciate it very much =))

what you've said has helped alot, cheers for all the info!
and it may be obvious but just wnted to ask.. everyone shares with a person of the same sex right?

although its cheaper, im just worried that i'll end up witha psycho who watches me sleep or somethin lol or someone really annoyin haha

*oh and could i ask, how big are the rooms? do u get like 2 study desks? and are the beds far apart lol? I didnt make it dwn to the actual open day so i didnt get a chance to see accommodation =(

cheers!
=)
Reply 997
Joanna May
I highly doubt it :p:

I'm still paranoid that I forgot to write "AT House" in the note I made, since I wrote the sentence and left the house name blank so I could check the spelling. I know it's not important if I forgot it, but would be nice to think I might have a tiny sway over things!

I love TSR. It'll be nice to know someone on the first day if we both get AT!

haha why don't you call them to make sure? :p:

I'm only worried that there will be mainly science/medicine students at AT (if I get there) and hardy anyone sharing anything in common with me, especially roommate, which wouldn't be too good. :p:
I called them yesterday, they don't even know if they've got my form, nevermind what I wrote!

I doubt they'd fill a house with sciences and just one person from another department. There might not be other people on your course there, but there'd be people doing similar stuff. And you don't need that much in common with your roommate, you just need to be able to tolerate each other!
Reply 999
funkybuddha
hey thanks for the reply!! appreciate it very much =))

what you've said has helped alot, cheers for all the info!
and it may be obvious but just wnted to ask.. everyone shares with a person of the same sex right?

although its cheaper, im just worried that i'll end up witha psycho who watches me sleep or somethin lol or someone really annoyin haha

*oh and could i ask, how big are the rooms? do u get like 2 study desks? and are the beds far apart lol? I didnt make it dwn to the actual open day so i didnt get a chance to see accommodation =(

cheers!
=)

No problem :smile: There's so little available officially, and we didn't have much last year, so I'm willing to answer any questions I can for this years apps =)

Yup, if you're allocated a shared room it will be with someone of the same sex. In my flat there is actually one shared room with one guy and one girl, but that was originally (and still is, in the eyes of the residence people I think) 2 girls sharing, but for some reason (I never asked why, and they seem to get on ok now) one of them swapped with a guy who was allocated one of the singles. But that was done through choice (and the guy is gay) and as far as I know the residence people were never told.

Heh, there's always the risk you'll be with someone you don't like, like with anything in life, but on the other hand you could end up best of friends with them, it really is luck of the draw. Plus if you do end up with a creep or something, you can always complain to the wardens/residence people, who should do something about it, or you can put in to be moved (works easier at x-mas time, and I know people who've moved over the holidays - people who are only doing a semester here leave, so there's a bit of movement then anyway).

In my room there're 2 desks, 2 wardrobes, 2 chests of draws, 2 beds obv, 2 noticeboards and 1 sink (with mirror & cupboard). You wouldn't have to share a desk or anything like that. Because of the shape/layout of my room, the two beds are against one wall, feet-to-feet, with a little table thing in between (kind of hard to explain, I posted some pictures of my room earlier in this thread, if you want to try to find them). Most of the other rooms have the beds further apart.
Size wise - mine is pleanty big enough; about 5m x 5m maybe? Joanna May & 9mm have seen it, so they might be able to tell you from a more objective pov what they think of it. And mine is one of the smallest doubles in the house, some of the ones on the 1st floor are huge, and I said a while ago I'd try to find some facebook pics of them, so I'll try to do that now, just to give you some idea (not that you can really specify which room in which place, but to show the possibilities!)
Okie dokes: Link and Link, are of one of the biggest rooms in my flat.

C-

Latest

Trending

Trending