The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

hey do we HAVE to send it through the post?
cuz I am an international and it is a little burdensome to do so.
What should I do? thx in advance.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Jong Il Kim
hey do we HAVE to send it through the post?
cuz I am an international and it is a little burdensome to do so.
What should I do? thx in advance.

I would expect so... You have to include to photographs, so I would have thought the post was the only way...
I have a few questions and I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

1) How much is the rent for Ian Baker house? it says from £116 on the internet and the accomodation leaflet. I am guessing it won't be anywhere near 116 seeing as it is newly built but if anyone know please tell me.

2) How are payments taken? are they taken on a weekly basis or monthly or quarterly? The reason I am asking is that I will be paying for accomodation by student loan and that takes a while to be payed out and isn't payed out at once so I appreciate any help.

3) Campbell house? is it any good?
Is accommodation allocated on a first-come-first-served basis? I.e. if you apply earlier you have a better chance of getting into the place you prefer?

Thanks for any help :smile:
[QUOTE='[stephanie]']Is accommodation allocated on a first-come-first-served basis? I.e. if you apply earlier you have a better chance of getting into the place you prefer?

Thanks for any help :smile:

No... Accommodation isn't usually allocated until after results days... If you have UCL as your 'firm', then you are guaranteed accommodation (providing you get the grades, etc).
Hey guys, silly question, but on UCAS track it says Psychology start at UCL on the 1st of September, but on the accommodation from it says the full season starts on the 26th of September.
Obviously, I'm a bit confused, so any help would be great.
I'm going for Connaught Hall by the way, it's literally next door to the Psychology department! :smile:
Jamsie_853
Hey guys, silly question, but on UCAS track it says Psychology start at UCL on the 1st of September, but on the accommodation from it says the full season starts on the 26th of September.
Obviously, I'm a bit confused, so any help would be great.
I'm going for Connaught Hall by the way, it's literally next door to the Psychology department! :smile:

It said that on my UCAS too, but I think it's just a figure they put out for everyone before they decide when the terms will actually start! x
tomangegi
It said that on my UCAS too, but I think it's just a figure they put out for everyone before they decide when the terms will actually start! x

Ah that makes sense, thanks for your help! :smile:
Sorry to ask one more question, but number 18, 'I have previously lived within the M25 motorway when a student.' Does that refer to me studying now inside the M25, as in sixth form? Or does it not refer to me as I've never been to uni before within the M25?
Sorry, I'm slightly confused as if it is yes, it specifies dates, and that would be about eight years!
kinglrb
I have a few questions and I was wondering if anyone could help me out...

1) How much is the rent for Ian Baker house? it says from £116 on the internet and the accomodation leaflet. I am guessing it won't be anywhere near 116 seeing as it is newly built but if anyone know please tell me.

Why would they advertise a price if the real price will be nowhere near that? Sure, the fees might go up a bit from this years fees, but that'll apply to all the halls/houses. I can't see why it should be any more expensive - that price seems about right for a single room, SC, close proximity to UCL - tis the same as they charge for single rooms where I am (Arthur Tattershall) and we're on Gower St.

kinglrb
2) How are payments taken? are they taken on a weekly basis or monthly or quarterly? The reason I am asking is that I will be paying for accomodation by student loan and that takes a while to be payed out and isn't payed out at once so I appreciate any help.

Termly, you get an invoice put under your door at the start of every term, which you have about 2 weeks or so to pay, after which you start to get late payment fees (first week is £25, not sure how much after that). You can also pay in installments if you want, not entirely sure how that works though re. how much and how often.

The vast majority are paying for accommodation with their student loan, thus why there is about 2 weeks to pay the fees - though my loan came in on the first day of term both this term and last term, so normally works fine. If your loan didn't come in on time for whatever reason you can always go down to the residence people and explain the situation to them and they might be able to sort something out for you.

kinglrb
3) Campbell house? is it any good?

Good location and pretty nice inside from what I've seen. If you're ever in the area you can see some of the kitchens and stuff in the basement from the pavement outside. James S lives there though, so he'll be able to answer questions on Campbell better than me.

C-
Meg_Lili
Why would they advertise a price if the real price will be nowhere near that? Sure, the fees might go up a bit from this years fees, but that'll apply to all the halls/houses. I can't see why it should be any more expensive - that price seems about right for a single room, SC, close proximity to UCL - tis the same as they charge for single rooms where I am (Arthur Tattershall) and we're on Gower St.

Ian Baker house is a new build and all of the other new buildings are about £144 (single room) which I can't afford. It also says "from" on the ian baker house while all the other houses don't so I am not sure.

Termly, you get an invoice put under your door at the start of every term, which you have about 2 weeks or so to pay, after which you start to get late payment fees (first week is £25, not sure how much after that). You can also pay in installments if you want, not entirely sure how that works though re. how much and how often.

The vast majority are paying for accommodation with their student loan, thus why there is about 2 weeks to pay the fees - though my loan came in on the first day of term both this term and last term, so normally works fine. If your loan didn't come in on time for whatever reason you can always go down to the residence people and explain the situation to them and they might be able to sort something out for you.

Ahh thats brillaint. Thanks for clearing that up.

Good location and pretty nice inside from what I've seen. If you're ever in the area you can see some of the kitchens and stuff in the basement from the pavement outside. James S lives there though, so he'll be able to answer questions on Campbell better than me.

I live all the way up in Newcastle so I don't think I'll get the chance but it seems to have a good reputation and from pictures I have seen it seems a pleasant place to live.

When you apply for residence do you get three choices which you put down in order of preference right?
kinglrb
Ian Baker house is a new build and all of the other new buildings are about £144 (single room) which I can't afford. It also says "from" on the ian baker house while all the other houses don't so I am not sure.

All the ones that are £144 are ensuite, Ian Baker apparently has a few ensuite rooms, so I imagine the 'from' would indicate that most of the rooms are £116, but the few ensuites are more expensive (in the £144 bracket I'd think). If you don't want to be in one of the expensive ensuite rooms just make sure you put something under £144 in the space on the form where it asks you to specify a maximum you're willing to pay.

kinglrb
I live all the way up in Newcastle so I don't think I'll get the chance but it seems to have a good reputation and from pictures I have seen it seems a pleasant place to live.

When you apply for residence do you get three choices which you put down in order of preference right?

You get to specify preference order between UCL Halls, UCL Houses and Intercollegiate, and you get to specify one factor that is most important to you (eg. ensuite, single room, proximity etc.) but there isn't a space to specify specific halls. You can however try writing a note on the form, asking the accomm people if they can put you in a specific hall, if it's not too much trouble for them (you think it'd make their lives easier), worked for most of us last year, so tis worth giving a try. No guarantees though!

C-
kinglrb

Nice to see annother Geordie heading down south. I thought I was the only one! ha :smile:
Imogen_Grace
Nice to see annother Geordie heading down south. I thought I was the only one! ha :smile:

Oh cool, high five :five:

I think there is quite a few of us. I went to the engineering open day and there was at least 4 other people on the train back with me to Newcastle :yes:
Meg_Lili
All the ones that are £144 are ensuite, Ian Baker apparently has a few ensuite rooms, so I imagine the 'from' would indicate that most of the rooms are £116, but the few ensuites are more expensive (in the £144 bracket I'd think). If you don't want to be in one of the expensive ensuite rooms just make sure you put something under £144 in the space on the form where it asks you to specify a maximum you're willing to pay.

Ahh yes that would make sense. It does say that there 6 ensuites in the house so logically they would cost more than non en-suite rooms. Thank you.

You get to specify preference order between UCL Halls, UCL Houses and Intercollegiate, and you get to specify one factor that is most important to you (eg. ensuite, single room, proximity etc.) but there isn't a space to specify specific halls. You can however try writing a note on the form, asking the accomm people if they can put you in a specific hall, if it's not too much trouble for them (you think it'd make their lives easier), worked for most of us last year, so tis worth giving a try. No guarantees though!

C-

Oh right I thought we had specific choices. I think I'll follow in your footsteps and leave a note of preference.

Thank you very much for the help.
No problem, working out accommodation can be a bit of a nightmare! And there're loads of Geordies here - I know more geordies than people from any other one area, tis a bit strange!

C-
Ahh, good times. We come in force ey ha. All this accommodation talk is making me excited! 'Meg_Lili', you seem to be 'in the know'... and opinions on Schafer House?
Imogen_Grace
Ahh, good times. We come in force ey ha. All this accommodation talk is making me excited! 'Meg_Lili', you seem to be 'in the know'... and opinions on Schafer House?

Nyah, no more so thán any other 1st year - I went through the accomm process last year and I know of people in/have been to a fair few of the various halls, so can tell people what I know about them and my own obviously. UCL give very little info officially, so I figure I might as well answer questions if I can. :smile: That and it's more entertaining than the Old Norse translation I'm meant to be doing atm...

Re. Schafer, I think there are one or two people who are there on TSR, so they know more than me, but from what I've seen it looks pretty nice - good location (close and Drummond st. is great for vegetarian Indian restaurants/takeaways :biggrin:), flats are nice - ones I've seen vary between 3 and 7 per flat, kitchens and bathrooms are good sizes, you get loo-roll provided, which mine doesn't! Umm, ja...oo, and they have lifts, which is very useful for those on the 7th floor. Oo, and they have a common room too.

C-
And I thought there was nothing I wouldn't swap for my essay on religion in 16th century france.... maybe this ha
Meg_Lili
Old Norse translation

Ahh, it sounds pretty good. Yeah, UCL give practically NO information... Slightly annoying, but I'm not complaining. I may put in a little note saying pretty please will they put me there. Any other recommendations though? All this accommodation talk is exciting, wishing for September!
Imogen_Grace
And I thought there was nothing I wouldn't swap for my essay on religion in 16th century france.... maybe this ha

Heh, it's good when I can translate whole sentences without having to look anything up, but then you get the odd bit that just won't make any sense however much you try. Does my head in.

Imogen_Grace
Ahh, it sounds pretty good. Yeah, UCL give practically NO information... Slightly annoying, but I'm not complaining. I may put in a little note saying pretty please will they put me there. Any other recommendations though? All this accommodation talk is exciting, wishing for September!

It isn't great really, the lack of official info - I was looking at the stuff for one of the universities I'm considering for my year abroad and they had a 8 or 9 page pdf for each different halls with pictures and ground plans and everything. Not to mention the fact it was way cheaper than here. Ach well.
Umm, can't think of any other general tips off the top of my head - I'm better with specific questions! :smile:

C-

Latest

Trending

Trending