The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Hey kids- I'm the guy who made that UCL accomodation episode ("Yankin' it in Europe" - www.youtube.com/artifex85). If you have any questions about UCL or whatever, or want me to make an episode on something specific, please don't hesitate to ask!

-Rob
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1781
August? I have to wait til August to find out where I've been allocated, if at all?!
Sijia
August? I have to wait til August to find out where I've been allocated, if at all?!

Consider yourself lucky, a lot of people gotta wait until September :p:

And they do it then cause then everyone will have their grades etc, and they know all the people who will defitently be coming. I think I saw a uni that gave them out already though, or might have seen wrong :/
Waterstorm

And they do it then cause then everyone will have their grades etc, and they know all the people who will defitently be coming. I think I saw a uni that gave them out already though, or might have seen wrong :/

A small number will be allocated before that to continuing students who wish to stay in or move back in to halls.
Onearmedbandit
A small number will be allocated before that to continuing students who wish to stay in or move back in to halls.

Okay, cool :smile:
liljaforever
I have a question, or rather two: is it true that unconditionals get their accommodation allocation earlier than others? (I've heard July) and 2. is it first come first serve on move in day, ie. can I pick a room when I'm the first person to arrive? thanks.

1. I'm not sure. I was unconditional but I can't remember that far back...

2. It may depend on your hall, but I was allocated a room & didn't get a choice (schafer house).
Last year, people seemed to hear from UCL about mid to late July if they were unconditionals. Look back in this thread (a long way back!) and you'll see :smile:
Reply 1787
Waterstorm

Oh right. I had no idea. I'm going for master's study. KCL accomm was a lot faster than this! Thanks though. :smile:
I emailed the accom office and they said mid July, although they did state again that they were under no obligation to do so, and I could be waiting until september, but most likely not. Probably to cover their own backs!

From what Ive read though you only get your actual room number when you arrive?
MulderMan
I emailed the accom office and they said mid July, although they did state again that they were under no obligation to do so, and I could be waiting until september, but most likely not. Probably to cover their own backs!

From what Ive read though you only get your actual room number when you arrive?

Yup, they'll tell you in your offer if it's Single/Shared, and which halls, but you won't find out which particular room till you get there.

C-
Well, normally if you're eligable you'll be sent an accommodation booklet after you get your offer (though that might take a while for internationals, UCL seems to use the slowest international post service possible), I don't think they'd send one if you weren't eligable. But yeah, not getting an accomm offer when they start sending them out would be a pretty good indicator. If you're not sure try phoning and asking? (Don't email, they're useless at replying)

Off topic: Your username is from the Moodysson film right? I keep meaning to buy that as 'cultural research', is it good?

C-
Reply 1791
Regarding the reply post card sent by UCL. It's mentioned there that we international students will have to send them the accommodation form with an international coupon right? Unfortunately from my country's post office, they say that coupon doesn't exist anymore. So will it be okay if I send them a bank draft instead? Anyone else facing this problem please help me out here =) Thanks alot.
Reply 1792
artifex85
Hey kids- I'm the guy who made that UCL accomodation episode ("Yankin' it in Europe" - www.youtube.com/artifex85). If you have any questions about UCL or whatever, or want me to make an episode on something specific, please don't hesitate to ask!

-Rob

Great video, thanks! :smile: I only really have one question right now, what do the people who share room say it's like? Have you seen any of the shared rooms? Is it very similar to the ones shown in your video but two beds, two desks, etc?

Cheers
Reply 1793
liljaforever
I found this on page 88:

If you post it with some safe option (possibly with tracking), that should do :smile: I think the card is for people who don't want to spend money on an insurance option, so you should be fine if you do that instead.

Thanks ya =)
Skycat
Great video, thanks! :smile: I only really have one question right now, what do the people who share room say it's like? Have you seen any of the shared rooms? Is it very similar to the ones shown in your video but two beds, two desks, etc?

Cheers

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I'm actually not too sure about the shared rooms- I still have yet to meet anyone who lives in a shared room...which makes me think that most of them are single rooms. But I'd assume they'd be pretty much like mine, except (hopefully) bigger with double everything.
liljaforever
shame - cause I applied for astor and I want to live on one of the nice floors :biggrin: but thanks :smile:
I'll wait for more answers to the first one then.

When I moved into Ifor Evans at the beginning of the year, it seemed like they were assigning the rooms in the order that you arrived and it seemed that you could have your room changed if you asked nicely.

So, it might work for you.
I didn't get a chance to see UCL's accommodation, but when I saw other unis.. the rooms on the ground floor were clearly visible to anyone outside, so anyone walking past could see everything. Is it like this at UCL? If it is, I'd hate to have ground floor :frown:
Waterstorm
I didn't get a chance to see UCL's accommodation, but when I saw other unis.. the rooms on the ground floor were clearly visible to anyone outside, so anyone walking past could see everything. Is it like this at UCL? If it is, I'd hate to have ground floor :frown:

It really depends on the residence hall. The ones in the busier, more central parts of London don't seem to have that many (if any) rooms on the bottom floor. The Ifor site is walled and gated and a couple of yards removed from the sidewalk, so it's not a problem. But your room should have blinds, just in case.
artifex85
It really depends on the residence hall. The ones in the busier, more central parts of London don't seem to have that many (if any) rooms on the bottom floor. The Ifor site is walled and gated and a couple of yards removed from the sidewalk, so it's not a problem. But your room should have blinds, just in case.

Okay, thanks :smile:
liljaforever
So it really depends on the Hall, good to know, thanks. They say we can move in during business hours on the 26th. So if I arrive at nine I should be safe, right?

@Waterstorm: without wanting to frighten you, I'd worry more about basement flats being broken into (one of my worries). But about the blinds, as artifex85 said, you'll probably have blinds and if not you could always get/make some.

Yeah, you should be safe. Actually, you have the option of moving in early if you want (which actually isn't that bad of an idea). I did that myself and got used to the time change and got to see all the touristy stuff and made dorm supply runs.

And I wouldn't worry about security really (at least in the dorms themselves). From the road, they all appear pretty safe. The more central London dorms seem to require you to check in at the front desk when entering the building (see my interview with Max who lives at Canterbury Hall) while other dorms (at least at the Ifor site, which is in Camden Town) just use gates and keys. From what I gather, most dorms should be pretty safe- and if not, it's apparently extremely easy to move out.

Latest

Trending

Trending