The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

The Official 'Ask a Current Open University Student' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hcwilson7
Hiya! I'm planning to begin my Certificate of Higher Education (Open) in February, I'd like to use this qualification to gain entry into another university for political science. I'm wondering if this a commonly done thing (using the OU qualifications to get into a university which is full-time and based in person)? Thanks :smile:

Yes it is. But make sure you’ve checked with the uni(s) you want to apply to that they accept the modules you’re studying and their content for entry into the course.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Does the Student Finance company fund full time study with the OU? I'm a bit confused because on the OU's website it only mentions studying part time (and how SFE can fund part time study)?
Original post by bloomer36
Does the Student Finance company fund full time study with the OU? I'm a bit confused because on the OU's website it only mentions studying part time (and how SFE can fund part time study)?

They’ll fund 120 credits with the OU which is full time but as you aren’t attending a physical university you can only apply for the part time loan.
Original post by SuperCat007
They’ll fund 120 credits with the OU which is full time but as you aren’t attending a physical university you can only apply for the part time loan.

Do you mean they'll fund 120 credits for each year or just 120 credits in general?
Do you mean they'll fund 120 credits for each year or just 120 credits in general?

120 each academic year obviously. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able to complete the qualification.
Original post by SuperCat007
120 each academic year obviously. Otherwise you wouldn’t be able to complete the qualification.

Was just making sure :tongue:
Reply 66
Original post by jazzstoreyx
Is anyone studying OU Primary Education?? Please message me I’m looking to start in October and would love some advice! Xx

I have registered to start Oct 2019. My only concern is the QTS I feel like if we need to do a PGCE we could probably explore other courses/topics and gain the same results

Yes, they do, but whether you study full time or part time, the OU is always considered a part time university, so you would have the part time loan which will be mentioned by the finance company. But you can still complete it in the usual 3 years, 120 credits a year. :smile:
Original post by grissom123
What happens if you struggle with certain TMA questions and submit them with some questions answered and some not, like if you were doing an exam at school and you just left them out? Would the whole TMA be rejected?

If you're struggling with a TMA, you can ask your tutor for some guidance to help you complete it. If you feel like you can't make the deadline, you can ask for an extension. TMAs usually consist of one main question or statement that you write an essay in response to, so if you left that question out, you'd fail because you wouldn't have written an essay! :lol: My TMAs in second year now seem to consist of two or three parts and some people have missed the entire essay for their own reasons and managed to pass because part 1 is 60% of their mark, but generally it's bad practice to totally ignore questions. They don't reject TMAs, they will be marked if they're handed in but you may not pass or get a good mark.

Original post by ellefxtz
I'm thinking of joining the OU after july. Is it good? can the qualifications you get there really change your life like they say? Im on my last life here, in poverty and unable to transfer to any other physical unis.

I am finding it good, it's not a walk in the park, just like any degree, but it has encouraged myself to aim for the sky and believe in myself. :smile: A degree alone can't change your life but I think when someone comes from a poorly educated background to graduating with a degree, it can bring them a sense of achievement and the feeling that they can do anything they put their mind to and they're not as 'dumb' as they thought they were. That in itself can encourage people to chase their dreams and the degree opens up new career pathways.

Original post by hcwilson7
Hiya! I'm planning to begin my Certificate of Higher Education (Open) in February, I'd like to use this qualification to gain entry into another university for political science. I'm wondering if this a commonly done thing (using the OU qualifications to get into a university which is full-time and based in person)? Thanks :smile:

Yes, this is commonly done. However people usually do year 1 of the actual degree, then use the 120 credits to finish the last two years with the university of their choice.
I study OU :smile:

I did apply to a brick uni at first, but after listening to advice I went with OU instead. In hindsight I wouldn't have survived at a brick uni with my neurological disorder. I'd either be universally hated or suspended and thrown out because of it. Also I'm white and working class so I'd have probably been rejected. At least I don't have to put up with the blue hair gender studies brigade at OU :colone:

Only problem I'm having is I feel so isolated and lonely. I don't really have any friends, I see my girlfriend on weekends and sometimes in the week if she has a day off but that's all. I'm not being socialized at all which is bad for me as I need the practice and to be in social situations a lot so I can be normal

I might think about a brick uni after my first year but idk. I don't wanna risk the wrath of marxist professors and then end up with no education at all.
Original post by TommyDH
I study OU :smile:

I did apply to a brick uni at first, but after listening to advice I went with OU instead. In hindsight I wouldn't have survived at a brick uni with my neurological disorder. I'd either be universally hated or suspended and thrown out because of it. Also I'm white and working class so I'd have probably been rejected. At least I don't have to put up with the blue hair gender studies brigade at OU :colone:

Only problem I'm having is I feel so isolated and lonely. I don't really have any friends, I see my girlfriend on weekends and sometimes in the week if she has a day off but that's all. I'm not being socialized at all which is bad for me as I need the practice and to be in social situations a lot so I can be normal

I might think about a brick uni after my first year but idk. I don't wanna risk the wrath of marxist professors and then end up with no education at all.

Have you joined the social media groups on FB? There are also student association meet ups which I've been to where you meet in pubs and have a chat and you also get to meet other students if you go to tutorials which I find to be a good experience. :smile:
Original post by hannxm
Have you joined the social media groups on FB? There are also student association meet ups which I've been to where you meet in pubs and have a chat and you also get to meet other students if you go to tutorials which I find to be a good experience. :smile:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the tutorials. Do many go?

I'm permanently banned from facebook, anytime I try signing up again they just lock me out.
50a.jpg
Original post by TommyDH
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the tutorials. Do many go?

I'm permanently banned from facebook, anytime I try signing up again they just lock me out.
50a.jpg

Yeah, there's usually a handful of people who go. :smile:
:lol: How come?
Original post by hannxm
Yeah, there's usually a handful of people who go. :smile:
:lol: How come?

I may make an effort then, I'm still only in my first year so it might do me good :biggrin: I try going to the online tutorials but I often forget d'oh

Oh and for 100% NO reason at all, I'm a good boy :colonhash:
images.jpeg

(i might have persistently posted offensive but extremely funny memes or something...)
Is there any hidden costs associated with the open uni?
i'm currently only on my first year and first module, but so far there's been nothing! everything is written on their website and i've had no issues after paying for the module fee - hope this helps (:
Original post by Cameronkirkbride
Hi,
I’m 19 and looking to start the Open University in Oct 2019. Do you think the OU is for younger people? I’m a bit nervous that I might become isolated. I would like to become a primary teacher so I would be doing the 3 yr OU course then 1yr doing a PGCE in a physical university. The idea was that if I do the OU it gives me more flexibility to volunteer in a school for experience.

Is it understandable to study with the OU, are the tutors helpful?
I’m sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
Thank you all for your help in advance!!
Hi I have a couple of questions- should I trust the reviews online? They’re very negative sometimes and say how there’s little support and to absolutely not pick OU. Also, how is the grading system? I’ve heard some say that it is really unfair and makes it impossible to get a good grade.
Original post by Cameronkirkbride

You only have to pay for your travel to tutorials and a new laptop if you need one etc. Basically the obvious supplies you'll need.
Original post by Rosie1111100567
Hi,
I’m 19 and looking to start the Open University in Oct 2019. Do you think the OU is for younger people? I’m a bit nervous that I might become isolated. I would like to become a primary teacher so I would be doing the 3 yr OU course then 1yr doing a PGCE in a physical university. The idea was that if I do the OU it gives me more flexibility to volunteer in a school for experience.

Is it understandable to study with the OU, are the tutors helpful?
I’m sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I’m making the right decision.
Thank you all for your help in advance!!

I started when I was 22 and there are some who are younger than you who have done an OU degree! Don't worry about your age. :smile: I can understand why you would want to study with the OU as it is flexible. Each tutor is different and some are excellent, not all tutors are helpful though but you can ask for a new tutor if you're finding your current one unhelpful. After all, you're paying for the service, you should be able to get a good tutor!
Original post by abbiedwson
Hi I have a couple of questions- should I trust the reviews online? They’re very negative sometimes and say how there’s little support and to absolutely not pick OU. Also, how is the grading system? I’ve heard some say that it is really unfair and makes it impossible to get a good grade.

No, I wouldn't trust them. They're old and they're not the experience myself and thousands of others have had. People who've had a good experience usually don't go to the internet to share about it - it's only when it's not worked out for them or they dislike it that they share it online, especially if they keep getting poor grades or they like to have their hand held through the degree. I thought the same when I was researching the OU but take it with a pinch of salt. It's not impossible to get a good grade, I passed my first module with a distinction. It is usually made clear by your tutor where you can improve to get a higher grade and if you meet those standards, you'll get a good grade. It does fluctuate slightly depending on your tutor (some are harsher markers than others) but for the most part, there's quite a bit of consistency in your own scores.
Morning All,
I'm attempting to decide which of these courses to move onto with the OU if any.
I have nearly completed the Y032 Access course (People, Work, Society).
Those who have studied them, could you give me the pros / cons for each course please and if you have found them interesting?
For those who have completed them, where has the degree taken you.
Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest