The Student Room Group

Would u study forever if you could?

Let's say you could study forever - u didn't need to work, and your education would all be paid for. Would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

Yes! Saying that, I want to go into a career in academia so essentially forever at uni :colone:
Reply 2
I pretty much do.
Yes, it would be two dreams come true- to be a student forever and always learning free of financial costs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
FOOK NO!

1. Education was a nightmare
2. Not everything is about knowledge, experience is just as or even more important, case and point being graduates coming out of uni and finding it difficult to find a job due to no or little experience
Reply 5
Original post by as125
FOOK NO!

1. Education was a nightmare
2. Not everything is about knowledge, experience is just as or even more important, case and point being graduates coming out of uni and finding it difficult to find a job due to no or little experience

Getting the experience is part of getting the education. Many people "study" things with no concern as to what they are going to 'do with it' when they graduate. IMHO, you should investigate the employment part of the equation, before you embark on a degree program. Otherwise, you are not engaged in trying to improve yourself, you are embarking on a hobby. Most hobbies are NOT lucrative, and don't pay their own way. Like collecting bottle caps. Cheers.
Reply 6
If I could study without the exams then sure. Like a scholar. But I wouldn’t want to be sitting exams for 60+ years. No tah
Original post by Vegan_Cannibal
Let's say you could study forever - u didn't need to work, and your education would all be paid for. Would you do it?

yes, providing I have a good work/life balance and it doesnt affect me having a relationship or raising children
Reply 8
Kinda, I will always be taking either online courses or OU courses, but only if they are relevant for me.
No. The stress, depression, sleep deprivation and utter misery I felt doing my degree was plenty for me. So no ta.
I don’t think I could live a life of constant exam cycles each Spring/Summer. No ty.

Learning new things, sure. But not for the purposes of assessment.
Reply 11
No,

The education system doesn't suit me. Then again I hate traditional learning so the answer would never be any other
Reply 12
Yes, definitely
No, but I might spend many more years in university if I didn’t need to take exams.

I like the idea but then I really want to work as a doctor and so education is just a stepping stone for me. I guess as a doctor I will still be studying for a long time anyway if I want to be a consultant, etc.
God no, can't wait to get out of uni and get into a job that I (hopefully) like. Want to be earning and feel like im progressing
Reply 15
Original post by Rabbit2
Getting the experience is part of getting the education. Many people "study" things with no concern as to what they are going to 'do with it' when they graduate. IMHO, you should investigate the employment part of the equation, before you embark on a degree program. Otherwise, you are not engaged in trying to improve yourself, you are embarking on a hobby. Most hobbies are NOT lucrative, and don't pay their own way. Like collecting bottle caps. Cheers.

Yes I agree with that
My point was that you'll need both to be successful not just one or the other
I mean, we're always learning even without studying. But to answer the question, no I would not study forever. I'd like to have a career in my chosen field, not study endlessly for what I presume are things I either want to know (but won't help) or things I don't care for.
Don't think any Computer Scientist would answer "Yes." to this lol
If I didn't need to work, I'd want to do *something*. Given that I'm always going off on tangents from the studying I'm supposed to be doing....to study other stuff in my spare time...I bet yes, I would be a student forever if I had no other responsibilities!
Reply 19
No, I plan on becoming a care free billionaire and that's not going to happen if I study forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending