The Student Room Group

GCSE English Lit

Not with any particular board, but has anyone studied the entire syllabus for GCSE Lit in 4 months (e.g. Sept-Dec) then taken the exams in January? Is it possible time wise? I know it probably is, but I may also be over simplifying GCSEs et texts in my head ^_^

I ask because I (foolishly - but I'm not the only one by far) only recently looked at my GCSE results in detail. My Lit result was a B overall; I got an A* in my coursework and one exam, but aparently a U and almost no marks in the other (which I highly doubt, given that other people have said they noticed something similar).

I'm supposing it's too late to have it checked out as it was nearly 2 years ago now, so I'm going to have to retake as an external to get the grade I need.
I'm sure you could learn it all in 4 months... I'm sure most of the learning for this exam is done in the 1-2 months before the exam anyway, as although you would have studied the texts in class you wouldn't have necessarily memorised and learnt the necessary quotes etc.. I didn't actually read the book we're doing yet so will have to do that soon and will only be staring revision in the next few days.
Why do you need to resit? Grade B is pretty good result. I would concentrate on the A levels.
Reply 3
Yeah. I think I'll probably pick an exam board sometime soon, read the texts over the summer and do some analysis in the autumn.
Konnifer
Not with any particular board, but has anyone studied the entire syllabus for GCSE Lit in 4 months (e.g. Sept-Dec) then taken the exams in January? Is it possible time wise? I know it probably is, but I may also be over simplifying GCSEs et texts in my head ^_^

I ask because I (foolishly - but I'm not the only one by far) only recently looked at my GCSE results in detail. My Lit result was a B overall; I got an A* in my coursework and one exam, but aparently a U and almost no marks in the other (which I highly doubt, given that other people have said they noticed something similar).

I'm supposing it's too late to have it checked out as it was nearly 2 years ago now, so I'm going to have to retake as an external to get the grade I need.

Of course it's possible, if you're an amazing lit student and/or you do nothing else with your time. If you really are just a B-grade GCSE lit student, and you're currently at uni or doing A-levels or something, do you want to put yourself through that?

(Of course, your answer might well be yes, in which case go for it.)
Reply 5
I am, finishing my A Levels this summer then looking at taking the GCSE after that. I need at least an A for the university courses I'm applying for.
Reply 6
I'm not just a B grade GCSE Lit student (although my AS grade says otherwise - don't ask ^_^). Not that I would be sad about it if I was, but I really do think that the original marking was wrong.
Konnifer
Yeah. I think I'll probably pick an exam board sometime soon, read the texts over the summer and do some analysis in the autumn.

AQA.

Latest

Trending

Trending