The Student Room Group

why does everyone hate on civil engineering?

OK so I joined the engineering group chat for the uni and was greeted by a hoard of mech engs, EEE, aero eng saying civil is the worst. some said the joke in a very tasteful way but some called out bluntly that it's for ''******s'' which is laughable because civil engineering applicants had to work for higher grade entry than the course the said person applied to but thats none of my business :wink:

So I just want to know what you guys think of civil engineering? is it really useless and doesn't entail a lot of the technicalities using maths/physics? boring is subjective, so I dont mind if someone says it's boring, cos at the end of the day I chose it cos it interests me
(edited 1 year ago)
It is said by those who's life is in school and nothing else or those who are trying to poke fun.
It's less intense than some of the other engineering fields which people will exaggerate for comedic effect but it's far from useless. Civil tends to have the best employment rates.
jokes on them, it's not like they'll make drastically more money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That moment when your uni don't have civil and they bash business instead😂
Also I don't hate civil.
Civil engineering isn't any less technical than any other discipline; in fact, this suggestion doesn't even make any sense. And to suggest that it is "useless" really is the height of ignorance - who is suggesting that?
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
Civil engineering isn't any less technical than any other discipline; in fact, this suggestion doesn't even make any sense. And to suggest that it is "useless" really is the height of ignorance - who is suggesting that?

literally the people in the chat, they have some kind of superior complex or something like that. they said they had work experience in civil engineering and it ''was about pipe work'' which was boring to them and pointless, just lots of degrading other civil engineering students in the chat and I dont get it
Reply 7
I would say they're talking rubbish! I'd love to study civil engineering for the career prospects but I can't convert (or can't afford to convert) from my physics degree.
Reply 8
They are eejits.
Why does everyone hate on PE?

Latest