The Student Room Group

Gcse English AQA - Mother Any Distance - Simon Armitage.

Heya

As our GCSE's are getting closer, Ive started doing notes for the poems. It's gonna benefit me by typing them up, and also some of you if I have mentioned any points that you haven't got.

Most of it is just basic stuff, dont get excited. :rolleyes:

Im not an A / A* candidate, so my notes really aren't that good.

Some notes on other poems are better than others.

If I haven't mentioned some points, and you think they would be beneficial to me or other people, feel free to say :smile:

anyway, i'll be happy if these notes just help one person. Or become a use in any type of way.

hope their ok.

They're attached to the post :biggrin:
Reply 1

Cheers I'm studying Armitage and Duffy.What a touch..I'll have a look soon :biggrin:...
I'm rubbish a lit lol yet my teacher put me H tier whats that about :frown: .
Reply 2
aww :frown:

Yea so am i, Just not posting the notes all at once lol :biggrin:
Reply 3
you rock !! thanks for the notes.
Reply 4
i did duffy and armitage last year. it drove me mad because my english teacher really fancied armitage.

the CGP guide to duffy and armitage was very helpful

good luck on your english exams and try not worry yourself too much about them!
Reply 5
Thankss :smile:
Reply 6

York notes are good for O&M and Duffy,Armitage,Pre 1914 and Different Cultures.And they are handy because they can fit in a small pocket LOOL.
Reply 7
york notes???
Reply 8
as with kid, this analysis is excellent, but maybe consider the son to be the anchor - and the mother the kite.
Reply 9
the kid notes are terrible, i know :frown:
Why'd you post them if you think that they are sub-standard? They're not that bad and its interesting for me to see what other schools teach about this poem. Similar in some ways in how we were taught it...which is unsurprising really.
Reply 11
xxbeckykinsxx
york notes???

Yh York Notes from shops such as WHSmith etc...
Theyre about £5 but they give good analysis etc on literature texts they even do them for a level.

http://www.pearsoned.co.uk/bookshop/subject.asp?item=108

Theyre good I have one for O&M,Duffy & Armitage and pre 1914 and for different cultures
Reply 12
ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Hedgehunter
Why'd you post them if you think that they are sub-standard? They're not that bad and its interesting for me to see what other schools teach about this poem. Similar in some ways in how we were taught it...which is unsurprising really.

cos they might help one person, and people like yourself may find them interesting to look at.

:smile:
Cheers for this! I couldnt understand anything about this poem, and know I do!
xxbeckykinsxx
Heya

As our GCSE's are getting closer, Ive started doing notes for the poems. It's gonna benefit me by typing them up, and also some of you if I have mentioned any points that you haven't got.

Most of it is just basic stuff, dont get excited. :rolleyes:

Im not an A / A* candidate, so my notes really aren't that good.

Some notes on other poems are better than others.

If I haven't mentioned some points, and you think they would be beneficial to me or other people, feel free to say :smile:

anyway, i'll be happy if these notes just help one person. Or become a use in any type of way.

hope their ok.

They're attached to the post :biggrin:

To say that youre not an A/A* student, those notes are actually pretty good. If you talk about the alternative interpretations the tape measure and string represent, and the fall or fly meanings you'll be looking at higher than a C. I've been predicted an A, but don't think I'll get it at this rate. I have a bad teacher who doesn't give us good points so I've resorted to asking around
Good Luck in your exams
These are pretty good notes to be honest :smile: I'm sure you have the potential to get an A if you use these points in your exam.

A few notes I have..

- As u_dun_noe said, you could consider that maybe the mother is the kite and the son is the anchor in that when you look at a kite, it's actually the kite holding onto the anchor and the kite won't work or fly if there is no anchor meaning that it is the mother trying to hold onto their relationship and if she lets go then she won't be able to cope or fly on her own without him.

- Also, the fact that it finishes saying "fall or fly". It could end with "fly or fall" but the poet has chosen not to do it that way to suggest that the son could fall first, but then fly and succeed in life.

- The mother and son relationship is not over. Even though the son is moving on and becoming an independant person he's still letting his mother help him with his new home. If he does 'fall' then his mother will still be there to help him.

Thankyou very much for your notes! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending