The Student Room Group

Year 11 for newcomers to UK

Hello. I am 15 years old and I came in the UK 2 months ago from Greece, where I finished successfully the Greek Middle School. I have applied to register at a nearby school. Now my question is: what year will I attend here in the UK? Because I know that in Year 11 there are the GCSE exams. Do you think I lack preparation for the GCSEs, having graduated from a greek school? Are there any important preparations that I have missed that would play a role in my efficiency? Could a 15 year old newcomer go straight to Year 11 and still have a success at the exams?

Thank you in advance!
Original post by ZamasuB
Hello. I am 15 years old and I came in the UK 2 months ago from Greece, where I finished successfully the Greek Middle School. I have applied to register at a nearby school. Now my question is: what year will I attend here in the UK? Because I know that in Year 11 there are the GCSE exams. Do you think I lack preparation for the GCSEs, having graduated from a greek school? Are there any important preparations that I have missed that would play a role in my efficiency? Could a 15 year old newcomer go straight to Year 11 and still have a success at the exams?

Thank you in advance!

They are likely to get you to sit an entry test to assess your maths, English and maybe science.

Although you could be old enough for 11 I think its pointless joining when students are already half way through. I think year 10 would make more sense so you can start GCSE from the beginning. No point taking and failing.
Starting in year 10 would make much more sense.

Starting in year 11 means that everyone else is already a year through their GCSEs. You will struggle a lot if you haven't been taught the first part of the course.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
They are likely to get you to sit an entry test to assess your maths, English and maybe science.

Although you could be old enough for 11 I think its pointless joining when students are already half way through. I think year 10 would make more sense so you can start GCSE from the beginning. No point taking and failing.

So you mean I have already missed some crucial preparation? Would it be that hard if I went straight away through Year 11? You see, I aspire to study law so, if I miss a whole year, it will be really bad. So, would it be too risky to go to Year 11?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ZamasuB
So you mean I have already missed some crucial preparation? Would it be that hard if I went straight away through Year 11? You see, I aspire to study law so, if I miss a whole year, it will be really bad. So, would it be too risky to go to Year 11?

You would have missed half the course. I dont believe they would put you in year 11. Year 10 or lower would be the correct place.

It wouldnt be really bad to go into year 10. It would make NO difference.
Getting poor grades would make a difference.
Reply 5
You would have missed half the course. I dont believe they would put you in year 11. Year 10 or lower would be the correct place.

I understand, but going to university later than what you have been planning and being with people younger than you is too weird.
Original post by ZamasuB
I understand, but going to university later than what you have been planning and being with people younger than you is too weird.

No it isnt and tbh you arent old enough to appreciate that the concerns you have are not in perspective.

Go ahead do year 11 and then flunk your GCSE and see how far that gets you.
Original post by ZamasuB

A lot of people go to uni at 19 in the UK. It's very common and not weird at all.
GCSEs are a 2 year course (years 10 and 11) but you may have already learnt parts of the work in Greek school. Your new school would probably look at how much of the curriculum you have missed, and if there is any extra coursework you would have to do.

If the school decides it is best for you to go into year 10, it won’t be a big deal. Plenty of people redo a year at some point (or take gap years) so by the time you start university, there will be others your age in your classes.

Law is quite a difficult degree that you need good grades for, so doing year 10 might be a good thing.
Reply 9
No it isnt and tbh you arent old enough to appreciate that the concerns you have are not in perspective.

Go ahead do year 11 and then flunk your GCSE and see how far that gets you.

Thank you very much for your responses! I’d also like to ask about subject choosing. How is it done? Can someone still choose subjects for GCSEs in Year 11, too?
Yes, because people move and have to transfer schools all the time. However I have to echo the thoughts of those
above, if you join in y11 you will only have done half the course and if you don't do well in your GCSEs it's much harder to retake them from there as opposed to taking the full course and starting in Year 10.
Reply 11
OK. So here’s another thing. About 2 weeks ago, approximately on 20 August, I applied to register at a High School nearby, through the City Council. Today, 3 September, I visited the school but they told me that they have just returned from holidays and that, from what they have checked, they are full at the moment. And they said that, when they come to my application, they will send it to the Head Teacher and it will take a while until the registration is made. The thing is schools start tomorrow. I haven’t even got my uniform yet. I contacted the Council and they told me that the application has been sent to the school. Do you think my application will be taken into consideration or should I apply to another school? I will certainly lose some days of school. So what is the best thing you advise me to do? Wait for response or apply to another school in case I get a refusal of my application? Will I miss much of the curriculum until I finally get to school?

Please help me! I’m really stressed!
Thank you in advance!
Original post by ZamasuB
OK. So here’s another thing. About 2 weeks ago, approximately on 20 August, I applied to register at a High School nearby, through the City Council. Today, 3 September, I visited the school but they told me that they have just returned from holidays and that, from what they have checked, they are full at the moment. And they said that, when they come to my application, they will send it to the Head Teacher and it will take a while until the registration is made. The thing is schools start tomorrow. I haven’t even got my uniform yet. I contacted the Council and they told me that the application has been sent to the school. Do you think my application will be taken into consideration or should I apply to another school? I will certainly lose some days of school. So what is the best thing you advise me to do? Wait for response or apply to another school in case I get a refusal of my application? Will I miss much of the curriculum until I finally get to school?

Thank you in advance!

You should probably try to apply to some other high schools within travelling distance if they say they are full. It is unlikely that a place will come free in the next few days. If you live in an area where schools are full, you might have to travel further than you would like, but it is worth it if you can get a place quickly.
Original post by ZamasuB

Thank you in advance!

You should apply to multiple schools as many will be full now. Its a shame you didnt post earlier in the summer as that would have increased your chances of gaining entry. You may get put on the waiting list.

You can look up local schools here. Look at the ofsted rating and average GCSE mark. Dont go to one that has a rating of 4 or average below a C imo. Find out what your postcode is then use that.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england
Reply 14
You should apply to multiple schools as many will be full now. Its a shame you didnt post earlier in the summer as that would have increased your chances of gaining entry. You may get put on the waiting list.

You can look up local schools here. Look at the ofsted rating and average GCSE mark. Dont go to one that has a rating of 4 or average below a C imo. Find out what your postcode is then use that.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england

OK! Thank you very much for your responses! They contacted me saying that they have accepted me, finally! Still, thank you so much for your responses! It was really helpful!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7350936 can you help me with this?

Quick Reply

Latest