The Student Room Group

University Offers

On TSR I have seen people with offers from universities in their sigs, where both their firm and insurance offers are the same in terms of A-level grades (i.e they're both AAA).

Why do people do this? Because surely wouldn't that applicant be rejected from those universities, and would have to endure a suffering during a lengthened process to get into A university through UCAS (i.e pooling and the like)?

Also, this has lead me to think that even though you get the required grades stated on the offer, like AAA, at A-level, do/can/would universities still reject an applicant?

Also, what would happen if you just missed the required grades at A-level by a small number of marks? Would you still be rejected? What would happen in a top university?

And what would happen if an applicant was in this situation when they received an offer from Oxbridge?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Mine are both ABB, with QMUL as my insurance. Having talked to people, I've realised QMUL are alot more lenient if you miss out with your grades than Imperial, so say I get BBB, I'd still get let into qmul, probably.

Also, what would happen if you just missed the required grades at A-level by a small number of marks? Would you still be rejected? What would happen in a top university?

Dunno about oxbridge but it really depends on the admissions tutor, they may decide to still let you in and be lenient or they may not. It really depends.
Reply 2
Sk1lLz
On TSR I have seen people with offers from universities in their sigs, where both their firm and insurance offers are the same in terms of A-level grades (i.e they're both AAA).

Why do people do this? Because surely wouldn't that applicant be rejected from those universities, and would have to endure a suffering during a lengthened process to get into A university through UCAS (i.e pooling and the like)?

Also, this has lead me to think that even though you get the required grades stated on the offer, like AAA, at A-level, do/can/would universities still reject an applicant? No they can't , if you get your grades you are in.

Also, what would happen if you just missed the required grades at A-level by a small number of marks? Would you still be rejected? What would happen in a top university? Some may accept the candidate some will not. Depends on the course and how well other candidates do.

And what would happen if an applicant was in this situation when they received an offer from Oxbridge?

Thanks.

I can answer I few of those questions... I am not one of those with equal offers as the insurance as you will see. :smile:
My firm and insurance offers are both ABB which I chose because they are the two universities that I want to go to the most. If I miss the grades then my backup plan is to simply enter clearing.

If I chose my firm and insurance based on grades then warwick would be my insurance (BBB) but it's pointless me putting that down, because I don't want to go there.

Latest

Trending

Trending