The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hannahsayshi
Yepp and I wanted to do history for AS.. not so sure now.. with paper 1 I find it easier because it's more about facts so if you learn them all then its easier and quicker to just write them all down (like in section B the first question is usually four marks and something like 'what limits did the treaty of versailles place on Germany's armed forces?' or 'what did ... hope to achieve at the treaty of versailles?') I find it better because with the second exam there's 4 topics (i think, could be less/more) that COULD be the subject of the sources.. so we have to get our contextual knowledge straight for all of them :s-smilie:

im all for taking exam tim off ICT, my ICT exam was 3 hours :|:| (to be fair half an hour was for 'printing time' - that is applied ICT double award |:smile:

edit: luckily our teachers produced this major 100 page 'revision handbook' thing with all past papers etc so IF I STUDY THAT I should be fine.. :|

& Yeah I could go to gigs etc but tbh as you said you'd only get Cs.. and some people might be pleased with them but I'd feel like I hadn't tried hard, and some of my friends are targetted (and getting) all A*s or A*s and few As so even if I wanted to I don't think anyone I know would go.. yeah I reckon they are all going to enhance their inner geek during study leave, unfortunately most of their birthdays are during that time! (haha..)

Yeah I agree Paper 1 is easier because if you revise you'll generally do really well, because it's mainly recalling facts and applying knowledge. I have a feeling that the source paper will be on Liberal Reforms this year though, so it's that I'm revising mainly, but it could also be The Home Front, Votes for Women (that was last year's paper), or a combination of 2 of them.

And my birthday's during exam time too :mad: ...still at least I don't have an actual exam on the day.
lil_miss_rapunzel
Yeah I agree Paper 1 is easier because if you revise you'll generally do really well, because it's mainly recalling facts and applying knowledge. I have a feeling that the source paper will be on Liberal Reforms this year though, so it's that I'm revising mainly, but it could also be The Home Front, Votes for Women (that was last year's paper), or a combination of 2 of them.

Yeah our mock was on the reforms (which also adds to the worry that I did pants in it).. but im still worried that I'll revise for the reforms and this year they've decided to try and catch us out by doing votes for women .. what other exams are you worried about?

Edit: Unlucky about your birthday :[ I guess you'll have to do what my friends are doing and have it three weeks late or early :/ are you doing the french speaking?
You all seem worried about Paper 2 but I think as long as you understand what went on in each period that you have to learn then you'd be fine as our teacher says you can get most of the marks without contextual knowledge, but obviously if your aiming for an A/A* then the contextual knowledge knowledge is important otherwise you'd be fine without it to be honest.

If you have a look at the mark scheme of the last paper you can see how many marks there are for context.
hannahsayshi
Yeah our mock was on the reforms (which also adds to the worry that I did pants in it).. but im still worried that I'll revise for the reforms and this year they've decided to try and catch us out by doing votes for women .. what other exams are you worried about?

Edit: Unlucky about your birthday :[ I guess you'll have to do what my friends are doing and have it three weeks late or early :/ are you doing the french speaking?

I know Votes for Women is possible, but I really think that the other two topics are much more likely...pity because Votes For Women is my favourite topic out of them all and I the one I find the sources the easiest to analyse... I'm also worried about Business Studies, Language Orals and the English/English Lit exams- you?

Well, a lot of my friends have an exam in the morning my birthday, so I think we're going to do something afterwards because they'll be finished by 11,and yep- I'm doing French Speaking and Spanish Speaking (AQA).

KnightRider- I know that you don't need as much contextual knowledge, but to be honest I think I'd prefer it if it was more like Paper 1 and required more knowledge, because I'm not very good at manipulating sources. I think I'm more worried about the timing and awkward source questions than the knowledge needed.
Reply 24
piece_by_piece
Nimbus, you have no need to worry, you'll do just fine :smile:
Just out of interest, what do you want to study in the future (if you even know)?

maths!
Reply 25
pr0n
god if your like that over GCSE then wait for to your at UNI lol!!!

yes , i think I may need a phyciatrist...i'm a bad speller.
Reply 26
Nimbus
Don't take those tablets too often, they can have bad effects on you, after, you are taking in chemicals, litearlly like taking in pesticides/herbicides - can be dangerous when you are stressed!
Try and relax a bit if you can, listen to calm music and sing if it helps!

And regarding GCSEs...I am not stressed about them at all...EXCEPT FOR ENGLISH AND ENGLISH LITERATURE!!!!
They are driving me crazy!!! *shock horror* Okay, may be not crazy but I am super stressed about them. Very funny though as this contrasts a lot with my other exams as I am not stressed about others at all - extremely calm about them (okay, may be a little with RS and Geography but not as much as before).

I don't understand anything about English.XD I wonder what I will be like when I am doing the Englsih exams for REAL, probably panicking so much that I would probably delay the whole exam.

Lol...My doctor said to keep the tablets to a limit, and sleeping tablets are supposed to be cut in half, apparently one can knock you out for 14 hours +
Reply 27
Lol..your sounding way too stressed.
What I done to avoid the stress was start early very early.
I think I started late March and its going brilliantly!
However I've still not got down to doing any french which I crapping myself about!
Just English, seperate sciences, maths and History.
Reply 28
I started that early and I'm still crapping myself!

I think the key to remember is that they are like a quiz. The examiner isn't trying to trick you...if you get stuck, just think what the question implies and what kind of language/details the examiner would want.
KnightRider
You all seem worried about Paper 2 but I think as long as you understand what went on in each period that you have to learn then you'd be fine as our teacher says you can get most of the marks without contextual knowledge, but obviously if your aiming for an A/A* then the contextual knowledge knowledge is important otherwise you'd be fine without it to be honest.

If you have a look at the mark scheme of the last paper you can see how many marks there are for context.

My problem was mainly with 'manipulating' the source and evaluating them, I had plenty of contextual knowledge yet apparently I couldn't get any points for it because it wasn't evaluated in. GAH.. lol.

lil_miss_rapunzel
I know Votes for Women is possible, but I really think that the other two topics are much more likely...pity because Votes For Women is my favourite topic out of them all and I the one I find the sources the easiest to analyse... I'm also worried about Business Studies, Language Orals and the English/English Lit exams- you?

Same here about the votes for women! Silly exam board doing it last year :mad:.. I'm worried about the french speaking (but seeing as you are doing two speaking exams I feel like I have nothing to moan about :p:) and chemistry :rolleyes:.. and that I won't get 'at least an A' (which is what our school "suggests strongly" we get) in all the subjects I want to do for AS.. so biology and english lit.. i'm doing business studies but that should be alright..

most of my trouble with exams is exam technique!

(and the fact that I suffer from the well known 'these questions make no *&%?! sense' syndrome in the AQA science exams :p:)
Lol yeah I find that in Science exams- you sit there thinking "That can't have been on the syllabus!" Still, I've done 2/3rds of my separate science GCSEs (papers in January and coursework), so that's took the pressure off a little.

Orals are nerve-racking, but seeing as I'm doing Spanish for AS-level so I have to do another oral there I'm just comforting myself with the fact that the GCSE one won't be nearly as important as that. When you get stressed about the oral, just think that it's only 25%, if you get a C in it you can still get an A overall, plus on AQA it's marked as 8 marks for roleplay, 12 marks for presentation and discussion and 20 marks for the general conversation. My teacher told us that if you muck up the roleplay you're generally not going to get less than 4/8, and as long as you learn your presentation you should get 12/12, and then even if you really screw up the conversation you should apparently get 10/20, which gives you 26/40, an A. These thoughts are stopping me from completely freaking out about orals...I was in a right state for the mocks so god knows what I'll be like for the real thing! When is your oral? Mine are 29th April and 7th May.....
Reply 31
I'm nervous because i have my parents going on and on about it, and them basically wanting me to revise 24/7, I just can't wait for these to be over with and my parents to leave me alone.
lil_miss_rapunzel
Lol yeah I find that in Science exams- you sit there thinking "That can't have been on the syllabus!" Still, I've done 2/3rds of my separate science GCSEs (papers in January and coursework), so that's took the pressure off a little.

Yepp same here! I've got C3 and B3 to sit (and P1b.. I just thank god I decided not to do triple science, cause im lazy tbh :rolleyes:, otherwise I think another exam in physics would have killed me)..

lil_miss_rapunzel
When you get stressed about the oral, just think that it's only 25%, if you get a C in it you can still get an A overall, plus on AQA it's marked as 8 marks for roleplay, 12 marks for presentation and discussion and 20 marks for the general conversation. My teacher told us that if you muck up the roleplay you're generally not going to get less than 4/8, and as long as you learn your presentation you should get 12/12, and then even if you really screw up the conversation you should apparently get 10/20, which gives you 26/40, an A.

Ah.. thank you for telling me that!! It made me slightly less worried.. i'm doing AQA also but someone said the presentation is only 4 marks! :s-smilie:

lil_miss_rapunzel
These thoughts are stopping me from completely freaking out about orals...I was in a right state for the mocks so god knows what I'll be like for the real thing!

in my mocks our teacher only did the foundation :| and although I got full marks in that it wasn't exactly hard to get a high C!! so I have no idea how i'm gonna be in the higher :/ and our teacher tends to mark us slightly higher than we really are.. lol i'm just worried im going to forget all the general conversation stuff :/

lil_miss_rapunzel
When is your oral? Mine are 29th April and 7th May.....

Mine is either on the 1st of May or the 2nd.. I'm preparing for the 1st and then it will just be a pleasant suprise if it turns out mine is on the 2nd cause it means one extra day to prepare.. :smile:

erh i'm not even hungry..

RuthieStar
I'm nervous because i have my parents going on and on about it, and them basically wanting me to revise 24/7, I just can't wait for these to be over with and my parents to leave me alone.

aw don't worry and try not to let all that pressure get to you! my parents are worrying me because they THINK im doing a lot of revision as everytime they come into my room they see me looking over notes etc and they say things like 'it will all pay off' or 'you'll do find' so I have to explain to them that this what I have to do to get Bs so they don't think with all that revision that girl's been doing she should be getting A*s..

Have you tried talking to your parents about how you feel they are putting you under a lot of pressure?

Our school's got this mentoring system for everyone in year 11 so they deal with things like that...

what makes me laugh with french is that I don't even know my tenses yet i'm targetted an A, I got a high B in the mock, and I even got an A* in one of my control pieces of coursework (we did lots of coursework pieces because our class are crap so this way they could get the best possible marks they could get). So tbh sometimes it really is about learn those damnn phrases!!

(don't worry I have been teaching myself the tenses, it got like this due to moving schools twice and each school being further ahead than the last I only ever learnt the harder tenses :/)

*looks up*

this MUST be one of the longest reply's to a topic TSR has ever seen..
Reply 33
BasiConcept
Lol..your sounding way too stressed.
What I done to avoid the stress was start early very early.
I think I started late March and its going brilliantly!
However I've still not got down to doing any french which I crapping myself about!
Just English, seperate sciences, maths and History.

I am stressed, You should have seen me when I done my SATs.
I havnt been able to start proper revision..as we still havnt finished the syllabus in most subjects.
I think I wont sleep this month and go into hibernation mid june!
Ceorl.Euphoria
I think I wont sleep this month and go into hibernation mid june!

lol good plan!

my problem is not that i'm lazy but I don't have the ability to structure myself.. and I don't have good awareness of time..
Reply 35
The day before your exam get 15 hours sleep.

Seriously, sleep is underrated.
Reply 36
Tsovehr
The day before your exam get 15 hours sleep.

Seriously, sleep is underrated.

No way!
I barely get 5 during exam days, and when I do fall asleep I wake every hour thinking I should be revising..rest is not a neccessity.
Its my dumb brain it conflicts everything my body wants:biggrin:
Reply 37
hannahsayshi
lol good plan!

my problem is not that i'm lazy but I don't have the ability to structure myself.. and I don't have good awareness of time..

you sound exactly like me.
Reply 38
Ceorl.Euphoria
No way!
I barely get 5 during exam days, and when I do fall asleep I wake every hour thinking I should be revising..rest is not a neccessity.
Its my dumb brain it conflicts everything my body wants:biggrin:

Sacrificing sleep for revision is amazingly stupid at GCSE level Many of the questions are not revision based, but common sense and intelligence. Even if you actually memorise every single iota in your textbook and exercise book, you will not be able to answer all questions, you will still have to use common sense, e.g. for questions which ask you to use and interpret sources.
Reply 39
Tsovehr
Sacrificing sleep for revision is amazingly stupid at GCSE level Many of the questions are not revision based, but common sense and intelligence. Even if you actually memorise every single iota in your textbook and exercise book, you will not be able to answer all questions, you will still have to use common sense, e.g. for questions which ask you to use and interpret sources.

You've made a few too many assumptions.
I dont sacrifice sleep..I just dont feel sleepy..My few hours of sleep are an ample amount and get me through the day.
I dont memorise textbooks- I only analyse apropriate texts, when revising..and my techniques have made me successful in the past..

You cannot possibly enter a maths or a science exam and simply hope common sense will get you through the exam. You must have some sort of previous knowledge of the subject.

Latest