The Student Room Group

Racism: Thousands of British-Asians in the country, but only 12 play professionally

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnharM
I am a British South-Asian football fan, and pretty much every Asian I know watches football.

I was reading this article here:
https://phys.org/news/2018-04-british-asian-footballers-scouts-professional.html

The article mentions this:

One white scout from a professional club told him: "They [Asians] don't like physical contact, I think that's their problem. Why are they good at cricket? Why are they absolutely exceptional at squash? Why do they not participate in any other sports where there is physical contact?"

The article also mentions this, which really hit me:

He interviewed 75 Asian men who played amateur soccer, who said there was little interest from professional clubs. One told him that though he had played for Asian teams with talented players that had done well in amateur leagues, "but I've never seen a scout watch a match in 18 years."

Is this country racist? I've played amateur football in the past. There are some seriously talented players out there...why is it that we can't get a SINGLE South-Asian football player playing in the top-flight? The 2011 consensus tells us that 4.9% of the total population in this country are South Asian. Why isn't there a single SA footballer playing in the Premier League?

People will argue 'it shouldn't be about race, it should be about whether they're talented enough'...well, my question is: how would the scouts even know they aren't good enough if they don't even come down to watch them play?

So I pose the question:

Is this country racist towards South-Asian amateur football players?

You could do with learning how to construct an argument where the conclusion flows from the premises. You might equally have written as your final sentence 'Does this meant that all South-Asian amateur football players like cheese?'
give it time, i'm sure one day there will be plenty playing for proffessional teams.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by 999tigger
Nope.
PL is packed with black players
Also packed with foreign players.

Look how many top players india or pakistan has produced?
You also dont see the thousands that get kicked out of the academies.

You carry on believing its all down to racism if you want.

If a kid is good enough why dont they go to trials?

You don’t understand. In South Asia, cricket is their main sport, not football. In Brazil, football is like a religion to them. The same way, cricket is a religion in South Asia.

But here, British South Asians grew up watching football and so they love their football, not cricket, so it’s definitely not a “South Asians don’t like football” nor is it that “South Asians don’t produce good football players”.

Look, I’m not saying it’s completely 100% racism. I’ve never suggested that. I’m saying racism has a part in this.

I believe the reason there aren’t many South Asian football players is because:
a) they see that there aren’t any South Asians playing in professional football, so they already feel they stand no chance - having no real role model to look up to
b) pressure from family to concentrate on their studies and basically saying there’s really no point wishing you can be a football player (first generation kids especially), and to concentrate in becoming Doctors and Lawyers etc.
c) scouts in the country not looking around in all areas, in every borough - completely ignoring areas that are filled with South Asian kids
d) not having the overall belief and the hunger that you can ever be good enough to play at the highest level and they don’t even try to put the effort in (Messi became a football player by being recorded...he was scouted by a video)
e) not being good enough and knowing it.

There are so many reasons, I’m not saying racism is the only one. I think a) and c) can definitely change externally, and b) and d) can be improved over the years internally. Especially as I’m 23, my kids will be second generation South Asian kids. So I will make sure he knows if he wants to become a football player, he’ll have to play football 3 hours a day and train extremely hard. Whereas, my parents had no clue.
Reply 23
Original post by Reality Check
You could do with learning how to construct an argument where the conclusion flows from the premises. You might equally have written as your final sentence 'Does this meant that all South-Asian amateur football players like cheese?'

Oh shut up you miserable old git.
Original post by AnharM
You don’t understand. In South Asia, cricket is their main sport, not football. In Brazil, football is like a religion to them. The same way, cricket is a religion in South Asia.

But here, British South Asians grew up watching football and so they love their football, not cricket, so it’s definitely not a “South Asians don’t like football” nor is it that “South Asians don’t produce good football players”.

Look, I’m not saying it’s completely 100% racism. I’ve never suggested that. I’m saying racism has a part in this.

I believe the reason there aren’t many South Asian football players is because:
a) they see that there aren’t any South Asians playing in professional football, so they already feel they stand no chance - having no real role model to look up to
b) pressure from family to concentrate on their studies and basically saying there’s really no point wishing you can be a football player (first generation kids especially), and to concentrate in becoming Doctors and Lawyers etc.
c) scouts in the country not looking around in all areas, in every borough - completely ignoring areas that are filled with South Asian kids
d) not having the overall belief and the hunger that you can ever be good enough to play at the highest level and they don’t even try to put the effort in (Messi became a football player by being recorded...he was scouted by a video)
e) not being good enough and knowing it.

There are so many reasons, I’m not saying racism is the only one. I think a) and c) can definitely change externally, and b) and d) can be improved over the years internally. Especially as I’m 23, my kids will be second generation South Asian kids. So I will make sure he knows if he wants to become a football player, he’ll have to play football 3 hours a day and train extremely hard. Whereas, my parents had no clue.

Yes there might be other cultural reasons, but i doubt theres racism involved as you suggested.

We arent going to agree so will let you get on with it.
I think our people just aren’t particularly interested in that sort of career. Sports as career isn’t something that’s drilled into us culturally and sometimes prents can discourage their kids from spending too much time playing instead of studying.
Reply 26
Original post by akbar0123
I think our people just aren’t particularly interested in that sort of career. Sports as career isn’t something that’s drilled into us culturally and sometimes prents can discourage their kids from spending too much time playing instead of studying.

Yep, I agree. That’s one of the reasons that I listed.

But I believe racism plays a part too. Just stereotyping us from the colour of our skin - as quoted from the scout above.
Reply 27
Original post by 999tigger
Yes there might be other cultural reasons, but i doubt theres racism involved as you suggested.

We arent going to agree so will let you get on with it.

How do you explain that quote from the scout then? How he thinks “they’re too weak and they don’t like physical sports”...like what’s that ******** stereotype about then? Where does that come from?
Is it racist? Not at all.
Sports don't care about your colour or race, they care about your ability and talent. If asians aren't performing as well as whites or blacks in football its because they're not good enough and/or they're choosing to do other sports, nothing to do with racism.
Original post by AnharM
Yes, finding the best you said, not finding the best white/black player. You don’t find it suspicious at all that not a SINGLE South Asian player can’t make it in the PL?

And not a half South Asian, a typical one. A typical 5’7 South Asian kid. You’re not suspicious at all?

How do you explain the fact that scouts don’t visit areas that are populated with South Asian kids, and watch them play football? I’ve never once heard in my whole borough that a scout has come round here to check football players, because everyone will know about it.

You keep banging on about British Asians loving football.

This is a nonsense. For a few reasons.

1. Millions of people love football. That doesn't mean they're any good at playing it.

2. The overwhelming majority of British Asians I have seen are not playing football. They are having a kick about. These are entirely different things. Scouts don't wander around parks randomly hoping to spot the next Neymar. That's idiotic. They go to clubs, leagues, tournaments, trials. The vast majority of clubs have very few Asians in them, if any. Most Asians I have seen "playing football" are doing nothing more than kicking a ball about aimlessly and swearing as loudly and as often as possible.

3. I don't think you have any sense of the numbers involved. Becoming a professional footballer requires incredible dedication. This dedication is notably absent in most people, and most Asians - who frankly have other priorities. Youth teams are packed with white boys, packed with black boys - but many fewer Asians. It doesn't matter if Asians are 7% of the population - what matters is that they're 0.5% (or less) of the youth players.
Reply 30
Original post by Trinculo
You keep banging on about British Asians loving football.

This is a nonsense. For a few reasons.

1. Millions of people love football. That doesn't mean they're any good at playing it.

2. The overwhelming majority of British Asians I have seen are not playing football. They are having a kick about. These are entirely different things. Scouts don't wander around parks randomly hoping to spot the next Neymar. That's idiotic. They go to clubs, leagues, tournaments, trials. The vast majority of clubs have very few Asians in them, if any. Most Asians I have seen "playing football" are doing nothing more than kicking a ball about aimlessly and swearing as loudly and as often as possible.

3. I don't think you have any sense of the numbers involved. Becoming a professional footballer requires incredible dedication. This dedication is notably absent in most people, and most Asians - who frankly have other priorities. Youth teams are packed with white boys, packed with black boys - but many fewer Asians. It doesn't matter if Asians are 7% of the population - what matters is that they're 0.5% (or less) of the youth players.

You don't know what you're talking about. I played in league football from the age of 12-16. There were around 12 teams in the league. They do play league football, not the majority, you're right, but a large proportion of league football in areas filled with South Asian people are obviously filled up with South Asian football players. But scouts do not come into these areas to watch South Asian football players.

...yes, let's throw in the typical racist stereotype that we shout and swear a lot.

As I said, in a borough filled with mainly South Asian people, the league is filled with South Asian players. Not all youth teams are filled with white and black boys - the majority of them, yes, because not all boroughs are populated by a lot of South Asian people, but the ones that are, are packed with South Asian footballers.

But as I said, it's not the only thing that holds back South Asians from competing in football professionally. There are many factors. But, my point is, if scouts did change their approach, teams in England and the England national team, may discover some incredible talents.

There are MILLIONS of South Asian kids playing football around the country. You can't tell me not a single one is good enough. I don't believe that at all.
Original post by AnharM
You don't know what you're talking about. I played in league football from the age of 12-16. There were around 12 teams in the league. They do play league football, not the majority, you're right, but a large proportion of league football in areas filled with South Asian people are obviously filled up with South Asian football players. But scouts do not come into these areas to watch South Asian football players.

...yes, let's throw in the typical racist stereotype that we shout and swear a lot.

As I said, in a borough filled with mainly South Asian people, the league is filled with South Asian players. Not all youth teams are filled with white and black boys - the majority of them, yes, because not all boroughs are populated by a lot of South Asian people, but the ones that are, are packed with South Asian footballers.

But as I said, it's not the only thing that holds back South Asians from competing in football professionally. There are many factors. But, my point is, if scouts did change their approach, teams in England and the England national team, may discover some incredible talents.

There are MILLIONS of South Asian kids playing football around the country. You can't tell me not a single one is good enough. I don't believe that at all.

You are just making stuff up as you go along.

"Millions of South Asian kids around the country playing football" is testament to how deluded you are.

There are how many? 3m British Asians in the country - of these about half are male. Of these, about 1/3 are kids.

Take out the babies, and you have what? 300,000 male British Asians, of which half or maybe a third regularly play football? You're orders of magnitude to the wrong of what the population size even is, never mind starting to think right in terms of what the issues might be.

And it's not a stereotype to say that most of these groups aren't seriously playing football. All they are doing is kicking a ball about. All they are doing is letting a constant stream of filth pour forth from their mouths. It's what they do.

As an example - go to Regents Park on a Saturday. There are dozens of organised teams playing organised matches in all age groups. They have kits, coaches and referees. They're playing football.

Where are the Asian players?

They're in the little gaps between the pitches - because they haven't paid to book a pitch. They have dinky little pop up goals and they're all wearing a mishmash of Liverpool and Barcelona shirts, kicking the ball about and shouting "For f**** sake, Jits, you f****** c***."
A lot of the coaching at grass roots level is for more physically capable players than technically, I expect that plays a part of it.
Reply 33
Looool this is nonsense.

Then why are black british players doing so well. Its easy to blame racism but maybe they're not good enough. You can definitely coach them but the top asian players play cricket. Why do tall black people play basketball instead of hockey? Why do usa have a trash football team when realistically with the athletes they produce(they have like 2 sports for goalkeepers in their country ffs) should blow every country out of the water.
Reply 34
Original post by Diego Costa
A lot of the coaching at grass roots level is for more physically capable players than technically, I expect that plays a part of it.

Yeah South Asians are in general manlets tbf. Although physicality is not just down to height and strength. Look at kante or Fred e.g.

@S.G. Come get your mans. ****ing soyboy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by bj27
Yeah South Asians are in general manlets tbf. Although physicality is not just down to height and strength. Look at kante or Fred e.g.

Being a 6ft south Asian means I’m gold standard for arranged marriage. /s

Cba with this topic though. Doubt there’s many South Asian parents who really see sport as a realistic career.
"One white scout from a professional club told him: "They [Asians] don't like physical contact, I think that's their problem. Why are they good at cricket? Why are they absolutely exceptional at squash? Why do they not participate in any other sports where there is physical contact?""

This is not racist at all. He is simply stating observations. And it explains why the talent pool of athletically gifted south Asians is not in football.

The part about scouts could potentially be because of racism, but I doubt it. These days people would rather get a talent than "oh no, he is Asian".

Finally, a general racism cannot exist - look at the amount of black players in the PL. If anything, it might be "I don't know any good south Asian players, so I won't bother scouting any".
Reply 37
Original post by S.G.
Being a 6ft south Asian means I’m gold standard for arranged marriage. /s

Cba with this topic though. Doubt there’s many South Asian parents who really see sport as a realistic career.

Gonna post the pepe frog height chart here.

Explained in my first post what you said. I just quoted you so you can get your mans to stop his soyboyery
Reply 38
Original post by bj27

I’m sorry for taking so long to reply to your comment my guy, but unlike you, I have a life and I don’t spend all my time on TSR.

Seeing as you know what “soy boy” means, you must be on this website 24/7. Maybe you should get out some time? Maybe you should go chat to a girl some time? You know, have a conversation with a female, go on a date maybe? Or maybe you know you don’t stand a chance because you’re unattractive, you have no personality traits that seem attractive to the opposite gender, and you can’t get a date if your life depended on it, so you take it out on people on the internet to make yourself feel better.

I am a grown man, I’m definitely not a “boy”, and if you were my age or older, then you really shouldn’t be spending your life on TSR like this. Sort yourself out.
Reply 39
I have a job lol, it doesn't take long to reply to texts or stuff as I have a pretty quick typing speed and if you're that salty that someone uses TSR you should get off it.

Lol at getting triggered from being called a soyboy too. True definition of one. Equally you have sent a message after midnight being angry over a joke and you're telling me to sort my life out.

Chill out and get a grip.

Quick Reply

Latest