The Student Room Group

Edinbrugh, warwick or nottingham?

Hey.,,, im an international student from New Zealand just want to get some tips.

I got A- economics A-english literature A-biology A-maths B-Thinkingskills in AS.

I dont know what il be predicted yet for my Alevels in Biology. economics, eng lit, and maths.

But which uni would i have a better shot at? and which one is better?

Scroll to see replies

Which course are you planning to apply for?
Reply 2
Basil Hallward
Which course are you planning to apply for?

Sorry yea accounting and Finance
I'd say Warwick, out of those three.
The Three are all highly recommended by different people, although I would rate bothe Edinburgh and Warwick above Nottingham. I assume you can guess that your grades will look something like AAAA which is plenty to get you into any of the afore mentioned establishments.

My initial comments would be that Edinburgh is a great place. And that as one of the Scottish ancients you can benefit from the centuries of its existance. Warwick was once a radical place for science in the 60s, now it is by all accounts full of people who like to think that they are exciting but are stuck inside a world of student life that is far removed from reality and involves believing that everyone they meet in awesome. Nottingham is (judging from the hordes from my school who now attend) a place for bimbos and airheads, out clubbing and binging on student life.

Judging by the league tables:
The Times claims that Warwick is 7th, Edinburgh 13th and Nottingham 19th.
The Sunday Times claims that Warwick is 7th, Edinburgh 14th and Nottingham is 15th.
The Guardian claims that Nottingham is 8th, Warwick 9th and Edinburgh is 22nd.
The Good University Guide claims that Warwick is 8th, Nottingham 14th and Edinburgh 16th.

Read up on Wiki about how the league tables are complied and some other information. Also try the TSR Wiki's for the universities.

Obviously being in the Edinburgh forum We're all in love with the 'burgh (and very rightly so). But it is the best of the three you've picked there. Honestly. Ranked at 60 in the world compared to a measly 132 from Warwick and 246 by Nottingham, Edinburgh is in an entirely different league.

But to be taken into consideration should be firstly your subject (and if you want to do more than just one) and secondly your understanding of the Scottish system (which is significantly better than the English system)... :biggrin:
artorscience?

Honestly. Ranked at 60 in the world compared to a measly 132 from Warwick and 246 by Nottingham, Edinburgh is in an entirely different league.

Its ranked higher than that!
Reply 6
warwick i reckon
Basil Hallward
Its ranked higher than that!

I couldn't find the source(copied what wiki said - rookie mistake :p:), so I'm not sure.
ah rankings, they add so much fun to life...
Reply 8
You'd have a "good shot" at all of them with AAAAB at AS anyway, depending on what you're predicted for A2 of course.

They're all good unis anyway. Going by the the Good University Guide league tables:
Warwick: 8th overall, joint 2nd for A&F (with Edinburgh)
Nottingham: 14th overall, 4th for A&F
Edinburgh: 16th overall, joint 2nd for A&F (with Warwick)

As for the places, they all have their ups and downs: Edinburgh's a really nice city in all aspects, but it's not very central to the rest of the UK since it's in Scotland. Warwick's a nice place but it's quite small and Coventry isn't the most exciting city in the world. Nottingham's a lot more lively than the other two but it's not the safest city in the world.

Myself, I'd choose Edinburgh, but that's neither here nor there what I'd choose.
artorscience?
I couldn't find the source(copied what wiki said - rookie mistake :p:), so I'm not sure.
ah rankings, they add so much fun to life...

THES ranked it 23rd in the world :smile:
Reply 10
lol...i was going to apply for melbourne university in Australia as they were ranked 16th in the world for social sciences. But everyone was telling me that these uk uni's are way better. i am confused
Well at 23 in the World (actually that sounds a lot more like what the hype is on) it really IS a World Class University.

... you know, when you get to that bit where research and rankings can really assess what a university is.

LSEfreak
lol...i was going to apply for melbourne university in Australia as they were ranked 16th in the world for social sciences.

You're not applying for a social science! Why does the social science ranking matter? And British universities are better. Though I don't get why you've been told Nots...

Now having found THES, Melbourne is 27...
Reply 12
is accounting and finance a social science???

i mean they are ranked 16th in the world according to THES.
but they only require ABC. which is pretty low compared to some of the Uk university.

Why is that edinbrugh is ranked so high but its requirement is only BBB?
Reply 13
is there good jobs after you gradutate fomr edinbrugh?
LSEfreak
is accounting and finance a social science???

NO! It's maths.

LSEfreak
i mean they are ranked 16th in the world according to THES.

they're 27th as a general university, 16th in Social Sciences doesn't mean much to you for 2 reasons. Firstly, you're not doing one and secondly it's all about post-grad and research ratings really.

LSEfreak
Why is that edinbrugh is ranked so high but its requirement is only BBB?

Entry grades don't matter. For Edinburgh the majority of people attending have AAA. Edinburgh take the time to assess candidates based on their personal statements and many other things before giving an offer. BBB is a MINIMUM requirement. And it means that they benefit by getting put as people's insurance choice and thus getting bright people who just miss their grades.

LSEfreak
is there good jobs after you gradutate fomr edinbrugh?

(please don't double post, it's bad forum etiquette) There is. Some/Most of the league tables (links given above) give a value to it.
Not LSE, then?
Reply 16
artorscience?
NO! It's maths.

they're 27th as a general university, 16th in Social Sciences doesn't mean much to you for 2 reasons. Firstly, you're not doing one and secondly it's all about post-grad and research ratings really.

Entry grades don't matter. For Edinburgh the majority of people attending have AAA. Edinburgh take the time to assess candidates based on their personal statements and many other things before giving an offer. BBB is a MINIMUM requirement. And it means that they benefit by getting put as people's insurance choice and thus getting bright people who just miss their grades.

(please don't double post, it's bad forum etiquette) There is. Some/Most of the league tables (links given above) give a value to it.

oh thanks i will def apply for edinbrugh. i just hope they give out offers before december this year
LSEfreak
i just hope they give out offers before december this year

In the UK everything runs on a different timescale. And due to the nature of Edinburgh's assessment of applications and particularly personal statements offers are often given later than other universities. You may end up having to wait... and wait (see some of the fussing in this forum from people who've applied for '08 entry).

Good luck! :smile:
LSEfreak
i just hope they give out offers before december this year

Why..?
Reply 19
because i am an international student and as im applying to melbourne and ANU as wel in australia and if i get a offer/scholarship from them telling me to start at and confirm my offer before feburary would have to, as if i dont accept and wait for Uk offers. they might reject me and i would miss out on australia and then i would have to attend auckand university

Latest

Trending

Trending