The Student Room Group

gcses homeschooled/ messed up

i’m doing my gcses as a private candidate as i’m homeschooled due to my many health problems, my whole curriculum is based on cgp books which i find helpful compared to other books. for example if i do badly in for example combined science or maths paper 1 can i make up for that grade 5 or grade 6 in the other papers even if i mess up on the first paper.
Original post by millinathwani
i’m doing my gcses as a private candidate as i’m homeschooled due to my many health problems, my whole curriculum is based on cgp books which i find helpful compared to other books. for example if i do badly in for example combined science or maths paper 1 can i make up for that grade 5 or grade 6 in the other papers even if i mess up on the first paper.

You can still do better in the next paper after not doing so great on the first one - you just need to change your revision strategies.
It's good using cgp, but cgp can only give you the info/context. Something I find with science and maths particularly is that it becomes a lot easier when you do practice questions too, so you can introduce yourself to the style of questions being asked.
'Physics and maths tutor' and 'MME revise' and 'maths genie' are all great for this, even better they're all free!

If you still want to use cgp for your entire revision, use their gcse workbooks, like the gcse exam practice workbook for combined science and their maths one too; they also have the mark scheme at the back so you can mark yourself after you did the questions.

It also helps a lot to recognise which topics you need to work on - I suggest you order all the topics you need to study for that specific paper from hardest to easiest and go through all your hardest topics.

I hope that helps and good luck for your exams, you can do this!
Reply 2
Original post by millinathwani

of course! esp if only grade 5 or 6. tbh you could even get to 7-8 id say but id be conscious of 9 as it is based off other peoples scores too.
Reply 3
Original post by *LifeHappens*
You can still do better in the next paper after not doing so great on the first one - you just need to change your revision strategies.
It's good using cgp, but cgp can only give you the info/context. Something I find with science and maths particularly is that it becomes a lot easier when you do practice questions too, so you can introduce yourself to the style of questions being asked.
'Physics and maths tutor' and 'MME revise' and 'maths genie' are all great for this, even better they're all free!

If you still want to use cgp for your entire revision, use their gcse workbooks, like the gcse exam practice workbook for combined science and their maths one too; they also have the mark scheme at the back so you can mark yourself after you did the questions.

It also helps a lot to recognise which topics you need to work on - I suggest you order all the topics you need to study for that specific paper from hardest to easiest and go through all your hardest topics.

I hope that helps and good luck for your exams, you can do this!

thank you so much that’s really helpful advice!!
Reply 4
thank u xxx

Original post by r_4bi
of course! esp if only grade 5 or 6. tbh you could even get to 7-8 id say but id be conscious of 9 as it is based off other peoples scores too.

Quick Reply

Latest