The Student Room Group

Why do you support your team?

Scroll to see replies

City supporter as the name suggests. Was only ever going to support City as my Dad's side of the family are all City supporters. Not the best to grow up watching poor football from the Kippax and the East stand. But still are some of my fondest footballing memories, getting a late equalizer for 3-3 with Wolves, and Berkovic's solo goal vs Norwich.

But that's the past and the future is looking good for now so I shall enjoy it while it lasts as all good things must come to an end.
Reply 21
Original post by will_the_latic
Haha I know the feeling man! Seems a bit weird travelling a couple of hours for a home game. Half my family are actually from near Wakefield and the other half from India. As I said, I was brought up (and still live) in Sheffield but was living in Wigan when I was born so I support the 'Tics. So home games are certainly a long way away when I manage to get down! Might be going to a uni in the area next year though and will try and get a season ticket if this happens.

Good luck with your promotion push! Nice club is Derby. Oh and btw, don't we play each other in a couple of weeks?

I'm actually living in Wakefield but no-one seems to know where that is haha. Glad someone does, and yeah we play you next month so I'm tempted to get tickets and it isn't too far of an away day.

Also, did you see much of Jake Buxton recently? He was an absolute hero at Derby
It's a loyalty thing. But hey, if you gained enjoyment from following the best teams, then who am I to say you shouldn't support them? Did you go to any games?

Yeah don't get it. What if a new chairman takes over and states he's going to reduce transfer spending and increase ticket prices so he can make lots of money? What if... they accept sponsorship money from a cause you consider terribly unethical? You just close your eyes and keep handing over your money?! Staying loyal even when something/someone is just throwing **** in your face makes no sense! To me anyway.

They say football is the modern religion, so i guess you must have Faith right? :laugh:

I've been to one premiership game and a handful of games at the local then Division 2 team (my dad does subscribe to the loyalty idea!). They were fine, and I probably would take any child of mine to a game or two (locally) so they could experience it.
Original post by xDron3
I'm actually living in Wakefield but no-one seems to know where that is haha. Glad someone does, and yeah we play you next month so I'm tempted to get tickets and it isn't too far of an away day.

Also, did you see much of Jake Buxton recently? He was an absolute hero at Derby

Ah, you'll know of Hemsworth then? Little town near Pontefract. That's where my Mum's family are from.

Yeah I would get tickets. You're a better side than us but we're 2nd in the league based on home form (I think), so should be a close game.

Ah yes, Jake Buxton played for us in 2016/17 and did a good job. Great defender but above all a lovely bloke, really down to earth. Football needs more individuals like him.
(edited 5 years ago)
United fan. Pretty much the main team that was on TV growing up so I ended up supporting them. Been to watch them play at OT 3 times too.

Reading would be my back up team that I support since was born and grew up there.
Original post by nexttime
Yeah don't get it. What if a new chairman takes over and states he's going to reduce transfer spending and increase ticket prices so he can make lots of money? What if... they accept sponsorship money from a cause you consider terribly unethical? You just close your eyes and keep handing over your money?! Staying loyal even when something/someone is just throwing **** in your face makes no sense! To me anyway.

They say football is the modern religion, so i guess you must have Faith right? :laugh:

I've been to one premiership game and a handful of games at the local then Division 2 team (my dad does subscribe to the loyalty idea!). They were fine, and I probably would take any child of mine to a game or two (locally) so they could experience it.

I actually subscribe to the loyalty thing myself and will support Wigan for life, but I can see what you are saying here.

A classic example is Blackpool. 2010-11 - playing in the Premier League. 2018/19 - a mid-table League 1 side with sparse attendances. All because of the owners, known as the 'Oystons', who are destroying the club with their own greed. They've made practically no investment at all, in an attempt to inflate their own wealth, and have singlehandedly ruined the club. If you look up 'Blackpool protests against owners' you'll see what I'm talking about - think they threw tangerines and tennis balls on the pitch at Burnley, and boycotted a game to watch Sunday League as a means of protesting. Blackburn's owners, Venky's, have also damaged the club, although obviously to a far lesser extent.

I can see why it would be difficult for Blackpool fans to keep faith in their team, but as a football fan you just have to accept there will be ups and downs, good and bad, and take it all as part of the ride.
I can see why it would be difficult for Blackpool fans to keep faith in their team, but as a football fan you just have to accept there will be ups and downs, good and bad, and take it all as part of the ride.

Whilst the Oystons and Venky's of the world take my money and laugh? Put hundreds of hours of my time into supporting a team who itself doesn't care? I couldn't do that!

I guess I lack the mental strength.
Mine is the same reason. Dad has always supported Chelsea and since I was born I followed as well. We are from Canada so it is a bit harder to follow, but we still watch the games when we can.
It is certainly Ice Hockey Country here, but I have grown up playing and loving Soccer. It has always been Chelsea and I really have no clue why.
Saw my Dad watching football aged 7-8, saw Arsenal score, thought it was cool, rest is history.
Ah, bit of a no brainer then eh :biggrin:? Who is your team?

Manchester United (i'm a season ticket holder)
Original post by sr90
Manchester United (i'm a season ticket holder)

Are you off to the Derby today?

Quick Reply

Latest