The Student Room Group

Official TSR Mathematical Society

Scroll to see replies

I guess I should apply to join, what with me being an obsessive mathematician and all. I'll see if I can navigate my way to the societies page :biggrin:
can i join? i love maths, going to do it at degree in cardiff this September??
i wanna join? but I can only answer GCSE level questions coz thats wot im doing
is it just me or dvs's problem absent?
Reply 384
hey people can i join this society.... i'm a big fan of math i just did AS math and i plan on doing it in form 6 but this time it will be CAPE (thats Advanced levels for the Caribbean) math- i like a challenge :smile: lol
Just thought Id say hey!

I just joined this soc

I love maths and i just finished A2 maths, ,my units were C1-4, S1 and M1.

C3 and C4 went horrible!, I got A in C2 in Jan, And I think i got A in C1 and either A or B in S1 and M1.

A lil upset that ill never do maths again, but my fiance is in the year below me taking maths, so i can join in when shes doin it lol.

God i sound like a right geek... lol.
Reply 387
aqa c4 was very nasty... but c3 in january was easy so it evens out
Reply 388
A maths joke which you've probably heard before but would love to hear again:

and e^x go to a party (or a function perhaps, heh)

is quite enjoying himself with some other formulae, but notices e^x sitting in the corner alone

"hey, come integrate with us!" said

"it's no use" said e^x: "it won't make any difference"
Reply 389
lol pretty good. can't be bothered to check if this has already been said~ who said mathematicians can't be romantic?...integrate (one/log cabin) d(log cabin) = log cabin by the sea (+c)
I'm thinking of entering a critical essay competition at my school, and plan to write mainly about paradoxes (both mathematical and otherwise). Does anyone here know a good interesting maths paradox which could be relatively well understood by those people who don't do maths (including english teachers who judge the essays)? I'm looking for something a bit more juicy than Zeno's paradoxes of motion.
Thanks, harrison247
Reply 391
harrison247
I'm thinking of entering a critical essay competition at my school, and plan to write mainly about paradoxes (both mathematical and otherwise). Does anyone here know a good interesting maths paradox which could be relatively well understood by those people who don't do maths (including english teachers who judge the essays)? I'm looking for something a bit more juicy than Zeno's paradoxes of motion.
Thanks, harrison247

Paradoxes associated with infinite series to prove 0=1 etc. (though not really a paradox).

Paradoxes associated with infinity.

Banach-Tarski Paradox - juicy but impossible really to explain why it's true without technical details.

Russell's Paradox - reasonably simple to explain and a lot of history associated with it.
Reply 392
Reply 393
How about the "unexpected (hanging/examination)" paradox? Or the raven "paradox"?
Prot
lol pretty good. can't be bothered to check if this has already been said~ who said mathematicians can't be romantic?...integrate (one/log cabin) d(log cabin) = log cabin by the sea (+c)

You probably mean something like integrate a/cabin with respect to cabin, and you get 'a log cabin'. :p:
Mathematical fact!
111,111,111 x 111,111,111=123,456,789,876,543,21:smile:

I just find it so interesting how the numbers go in order of 1-9 then back to 1.:smile:
Got my AS results today, got:
M1 93/100 - A
D1 91/100 - A
C1 87/100 - A
C2 78/100 - B
S1 63/100 - C
S2 41/100 - E

Im going to retake the last 3 modules. I had a **** teacher for stats, he secifically asked to not be put as a stats teacher, and so was :rolleyes: hes now left, and we have our old stats teacher back - thankfully! But im very pleased with my mechanics and decision grades :biggrin:, especially since I wasn't expecting to do brilliantly in Decision, my past papers have been Bs or Cs, and the occasional A. C2 was a bit of a disappointment, but its only 2 marks off! So a resit in Jan will sort that out :biggrin:
(I got a B in physics and a D in chemistry:p::smile:)
I couldnt believe it. I learnt S1 and D1 alone, got 83 and 70 respectively.

SCORE :biggrin:
lol
bt 2 be honest, all the discrete modules are a joke

Who would say tht d2 is as easy/hard as m2???

ne1 doin maths at York??

What did the acorn say when he grew up??
Geometry!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Let me join this soc plz btw!!

Tom
:cool:
Reply 399
tommymcflow

What did the acorn say when he grew up??
Geometry!!!

Is it just me, or is that joke only viable in a Southern American accent, like Texas, where they probably don't have very many Oak trees? Ah well...
:s: :p:

Quick Reply

Latest