The Student Room Group

How common is referee abuse in non league football?

Just played my second game of saturday league football and game was interrupted because the opponent players got physical with the referee over a penalty dispute.

It also happened in my first game.

How common is this?
Original post by HucktheForde
Just played my second game of saturday league football and game was interrupted because the opponent players got physical with the referee over a penalty dispute.

It also happened in my first game.

How common is this?

There was a referee that quit football cuz weekend league players sent him to hospital. Its very common
Original post by BortaJaja
There was a referee that quit football cuz weekend league players sent him to hospital. Its very common

Its so sad and annoying.

I didnt enjoy the game at all. 20 minutes and the referee had to hide from the players.

I played in non professional league in malaysia when i was working there. No such things happen. Players protest but always respect the referee decision and we always get to finish the game.

Its a different culture.
Reply 3
Very common, in my experience.
moved to the football forum :smile:
Extremely common.

Even in kids games.
Reply 6
I think that it is quite common and largely influenced by the behaviour of professional footballers which sets the precedent. I play/ed rugby and the culture of the sport is very different with a lot of respect towards the referee - they are called sir/ma'am and you aren't allowed to contest decisions, this must be done through the captain. I think the FA need to crack down on this kind of behaviour.
I'm surprised by people saying it's common.

Getting physical with the ref is to me unheard of. Complaining and nagging, yes, but fighting the ref is surely not common?
Reply 8
Been to a few non league games and in 4/5 of them there has been players shouting at the referee because of their decisions. The crowd doesn't help too.

Quick Reply

Latest