The Student Room Group

Have i really dug myself a hole?

Ive chosen economics and business studies at AS level. im planning to drop Business As level by the end of the year but the problem is, that most unis that i want to apply to want 3 A2 levels and 1 AS level. and my teacher says that economics and business studies are so similar that it may go against me

what should i do? (i was thinking of taking a new AS level next year but with the new specs, it may be hard and might jeaprodise my chances of getting good grades

please help!!! :smile:
Reply 1
I'm sure it shouldn't hinder you too much, though I'm no expert. They are similar though. Maybe contact unis you're interested in for whatever courses and see what they say?
Reply 2
Why did you only choose two AS levels to begin with? If you drop your business at AS level, and then just continue with economics to A-level, then you will only have one A-level and one AS level, which won't be anywhere near enough to get you into uni.

Your teacher is right that most unis want three a-levels and an as-level (or at least, that's the bare minimum of what most applicants have when applying). What are you hoping to study and where?
Reply 3
tokyorose888
Ive chosen economics and business studies at AS level. im planning to drop Business As level by the end of the year but the problem is, that most unis that i want to apply to want 3 A2 levels and 1 AS level. and my teacher says that economics and business studies are so similar that it may go against me

what should i do? (i was thinking of taking a new AS level next year but with the new specs, it may be hard and might jeaprodise my chances of getting good grades

please help!!! :smile:

They aren't too similar though they can be confusing as basically business studies uses different calculations and theories for the same things. In business studies you dont really learn proper facts...its just speculation and theory...economics is so much better.

I have an A in business (i fast-tracked it) and if I had the chance to do economics instead...i bloomin well would have.

and uni's technically aren't allowed to ask for more than 360 UCAS points anyhow.
Reilly

and uni's technically aren't allowed to ask for more than 360 UCAS points anyhow.

What gives you that idea? You are wrong, they can make whatever offer they wish.
Personally I'd just do economics because business studies is so similar. I think economics is valued more than business, anyway :smile:
I doubt it'll go against you. Just read up on uni prospectuses or phone them up and ask :smile: What are you planning on doing anyway?
Reply 7
Good bloke
What gives you that idea? You are wrong, they can make whatever offer they wish.

I'm pretty sure they can't. They aren't allowed to ask for more cause it comes under equal ops somewhere. They can 'prefer'...and when your applying then you usually have your AS' so they can judge from that. But I'm pretty sure about this. I'm head of my SU and spent a lot of time with careers staff.
Reply 8
inksplodge
Personally I'd just do economics because business studies is so similar. I think economics is valued more than business, anyway :smile:

yeah it is...imperial have a table on their website of "if your thinking of taking this....take this instead" and its economics instead of business.

Though personally i found business an extremely easy A...the AS is basically common sense.
Reilly

Untrue - Two of my friends have offers of AAAa (420pts equivalent) and AAAb (410pts) respectively. Warwick also ask for AAAA (480pts) as one of their standard offers for Mathematics.
Reply 10
Hashshashin
Untrue - Two of my friends have offers of AAAa (420pts equivalent) and AAAb (410pts) respectively. Warwick also ask for AAAA (480pts) as one of their standard offers for Mathematics.

Ah well thats me pwned :biggrin:

haha maybe its just in relation to the arts...
Business Studies is classed as a vocational subject by many Uni's.

I'd seriously consider taking up another AS, maths would be good.
Reilly
I'm pretty sure they can't. They aren't allowed to ask for more cause it comes under equal ops somewhere. They can 'prefer'...and when your applying then you usually have your AS' so they can judge from that. But I'm pretty sure about this. I'm head of my SU and spent a lot of time with careers staff.

I hope they have another source of advice then.
Reilly
yeah it is...imperial have a table on their website of "if your thinking of taking this....take this instead" and its economics instead of business.

Though personally i found business an extremely easy A...the AS is basically common sense.

can you giv eme a link to that, cos i was looking for somethign similar and oculdnt find it lol
Reply 14
Good bloke
I hope they have another source of advice then.

Never said the careers staff were any good? But then again I've never really asked a question about it it was probs a passing comment in relation to drama schools....I have 660 UCAS points so it doesn't affect me anyways.

also if you look above I admitted I was wrong....
rottcodd
Why did you only choose two AS levels to begin with? If you drop your business at AS level, and then just continue with economics to A-level, then you will only have one A-level and one AS level, which won't be anywhere near enough to get you into uni.

Your teacher is right that most unis want three a-levels and an as-level (or at least, that's the bare minimum of what most applicants have when applying). What are you hoping to study and where?

oh sorry for not mentioning it, i currently do Biology, Chemistry, Economics, Business studies and chinese AS levels. i wish to do Law in uni.

is it ok, if i do the bare minimum for business studies and just work on the other subjects, i got an A for it in a unit 1 jan exam. or should i just continue trying my best on it

thnx :smile:
Reply 16
Keep working, get the best grade you can, and drop Business at the end of the year.

My understanding is that AS Business Studies with Economics is ok, it's when you do both to A2 that it's a problem because (from what I understand) Unit 4 of Economics is very similar to some of the material in the Business Studies A2.
Reply 17
Yeah, I understood it as taking both to A2 was the problem. I studied both as AS, intended to drop Business Studies at the end of the year, but instead dropped economics. I don't think doing both at AS presents a dropping unless you're aiming for the top universities for high demand subjects.

If you're serious about being willing to take another AS level then try contacting the admissions tutors at the relevant departments at the universities you're thinking of applying to.
So do you people think i should take up AS Maths next year? i think it may be harder due to the changing specs.

Latest