The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official 2019 Oxford Postgraduate OFFER HOLDERS

Scroll to see replies

hello, i'm not a postgrad offer holder but I am looking into applying to a postgrad course at Oxford and would like some insight from those who have applied and received offers. I'm currently an undergrad student at UCL and am planning to apply for MSc Neuroscience at Oxford. I know Oxford requires a 1st class degree or high 2.1. Do they consider individual subject grades? Because i had 1-2 subjects which i had 2:2 but overall my grades on average are high 2.1 am I am quite confident I can push it to a 1st class. I'm trying to be realistic and wondered at my chances of being accepted with these grades? I have to consider the application fees and time invested for the application since i am also applying to other universities. (note: all the application fees summed up would be quite a lot!)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 321
Original post by adriana.z
I know Oxford requires a 1st class degree or high 2.1. Do they consider individual subject grades? Because i had 1-2 subjects which i had 2:2 but overall my grades on average are high 2.1 am I am quite confident I can push it to a 1st class.

You'll submit a transcript from your first university which will normally include individual module/course grades. But if you have a first class degree, you have a first class degree, whether that was achieved by mitigating weak performances in a couple of places with strong performances elsewhere or by consistently strong performances. I don't think, therefore, that a couple of 2.2s on a transcript would rule you out of contention if your overall degree classification is high -- especially if they're results from earlier in the course and you do well in all the summative assessment at the end.

It's difficult to be more specific about any one person's chances than saying that if you meet the standard requirements you have a chance of some kind, because there are lots of unknowable factors, like the general strength of the field of applicants in the year that you apply.
Original post by QHF
You'll submit a transcript from your first university which will normally include individual module/course grades. But if you have a first class degree, you have a first class degree, whether that was achieved by mitigating weak performances in a couple of places with strong performances elsewhere or by consistently strong performances. I don't think, therefore, that a couple of 2.2s on a transcript would rule you out of contention if your overall degree classification is high -- especially if they're results from earlier in the course and you do well in all the summative assessment at the end.

It's difficult to be more specific about any one person's chances than saying that if you meet the standard requirements you have a chance of some kind, because there are lots of unknowable factors, like the general strength of the field of applicants in the year that you apply.

Hi, thank you very much for your reply; that makes sense. I spoke to my personal tutor about it and he mentioned it is worth a shot. Thanks again! I'll bear that in mind.
Hi guys, I thought I'd submit some of my postgrad questions here for those who may still be active on this thread:

I'm applying for a DPhil in medical sciences and my potential supervisor has asked me to apply to the RDM for a studentship. I'm planning on applying for both the RDM scholars program and the WIMM prize studentships but the uni website says there are other scholarships you may automatically be considered for if you're nominated- does that mean I need to discuss the scholarship with my supervisor/ask to be nominated for it? Like adriana.z, I'm wondering if I have a chance at this since my degree is a 2:1 which is the minimum requirement for the course. Has anyone secured funding with a 2:1 in this field of study?
Original post by C'est me
Hi guys, I thought I'd submit some of my postgrad questions here for those who may still be active on this thread:

I'm applying for a DPhil in medical sciences and my potential supervisor has asked me to apply to the RDM for a studentship. I'm planning on applying for both the RDM scholars program and the WIMM prize studentships but the uni website says there are other scholarships you may automatically be considered for if you're nominated- does that mean I need to discuss the scholarship with my supervisor/ask to be nominated for it? Like adriana.z, I'm wondering if I have a chance at this since my degree is a 2:1 which is the minimum requirement for the course. Has anyone secured funding with a 2:1 in this field of study?

Hello, many people still secure funding with a 2:1. A strong 2:1 (like 67% and above make you a strong candidate). The department will nominate you for the other scholarships. They decide whom to nominate. It's not your supervisor whom will nominate you but your department according to your performance in the interviews and strength of application.
Revisiting this thread more than 2 years later. How many made it? I'm almost done here in Oxford.
Reply 326
Revisiting this thread more than 4 years later. How many made it? I'm almost done here at Oxford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending