The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official 2019 Oxford Postgraduate OFFER HOLDERS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BMI31
Hi! Aren't you available for the university-wide funding competition? I think as long as you applied before the January deadline, you will be automatically considered for the selection?

Hi,

Apparently not! If you have not been nominated by your department you don't go through to the university-wide funding competition. I was confused so I emailed them to check. This is very unclear on the website as it makes it seem like everyone has a chance to go through to the funding competition, when actually only a few people get to go through to this stage.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hi all, I just got an offer from Linacre College! Is anyone else in this college as well?
Reply 22
Accepted onto the MSc in Global Health Science and Epidemiology! Just waiting on the college offer now
Reply 23
Original post by step679
Accepted onto the MSc in Global Health Science and Epidemiology! Just waiting on the college offer now

Congrats! Gosh the number of applicants was very high compared to number of places!
Two questions, directed to anyone who might feel like sharing:

Did many of you choose your colleges or leave that open to the fates? I am curious to what extent stating a preference actually affects where you end up. (I stated a preference and I would love to end up there, even though I will likely not be living in college.)

Also, my department does an offer holders welcome event and I was wondering if anyone else has been to one. If so, what was it like?
Original post by publiish
Two questions, directed to anyone who might feel like sharing:

Did many of you choose your colleges or leave that open to the fates? I am curious to what extent stating a preference actually affects where you end up. (I stated a preference and I would love to end up there, even though I will likely not be living in college.)

Also, my department does an offer holders welcome event and I was wondering if anyone else has been to one. If so, what was it like?

I chose my college when I applied and would also love to end up there, but I've not heard anything about it since I received my informal offer email a week ago. I'm also intrigued as to how much they factor your preference into account. I have an offer from Cambridge as well, but according to the self-service portal I've been rejected by my top choice college there-- so who knows what will happen with Oxford.
My department (English) also has an offer-holders event, although Oxford is quite far away for me so I'm debating whether or not to go. I'd really like to get a feel of the place though.

Is anyone else here currently super anxious about funding? I know it's still early days yet, but I'm also increasingly aware of the statistical unlikelihood of getting anything. I keep refreshing my emails every ten minutes dying for more information.
Reply 26
Original post by N0rthCountryGirl
Is anyone else here currently super anxious about funding? I know it's still early days yet, but I'm also increasingly aware of the statistical unlikelihood of getting anything. I keep refreshing my emails every ten minutes dying for more information.

I am certainly concerned about funding! From past funding stats for oxford and cambridge the vast majority of masters students don't get internal funding, but the majority of PhDs do. So I'm focusing on external funding, which sadly takes a lot of time!
If anyone has tips for external funding that would be great!!! I've searched for a lot of ones for educational funding which pharmacology masters would be eligible for, if anyone would like a kind of list for that let me know:smile:
I chose my college when I applied and would also love to end up there, but I've not heard anything about it since I received my informal offer email a week ago. I'm also intrigued as to how much they factor your preference into account. I have an offer from Cambridge as well, but according to the self-service portal I've been rejected by my top choice college there-- so who knows what will happen with Oxford.
My department (English) also has an offer-holders event, although Oxford is quite far away for me so I'm debating whether or not to go. I'd really like to get a feel of the place though.

Yes, I am also in a state of fear about funding—especially with overseas tuition being what it is. I do think I am unlikely to get funding. All the same, I plan to attend the English offer-holders event.

Best of luck to you and really to everyone who is in this worried state.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, I am also in a state of fear about funding—especially with overseas tuition being what it is. I do think I am unlikely to get funding. All the same, I plan to attend the English offer-holders event.

Best of luck to you and really to everyone who is in this worried state.

I suppose you are already based in the UK, or are you actually traveling internationally for the event?
I have an offer for the DPhil in English! It's so surreal being here and saying that after talking about my humble BA offer for the University of Hertfordshire in 2014... no regrets though! For those interested I have a BA in English Literature with German from UH (First) and a MA in Eighteenth Century Studies from KCL (with distinction).

Yep! Although I was grateful to recieve an email from the ELL administrator the Friday before I received my offer asking why I hadn't applied to the AHRC DTP... quickly rectified that haha! I applied and was accepted for an advertised project (Leverhulme Publication Beyond Print) so it has funding attached but that isn't guaranteed either.
Original post by amoralowl
I suppose you are already based in the UK, or are you actually traveling internationally for the event?

Sadly no, I am not based in the UK, so I will have to travel, but it will be a multipurpose trip. All the places I applied are in the UK and I know very little of what some of them are actually like.

To be clear, I think international travel for a three hour reception is absurd and not within my grad student budget. Still, (with the other visits and some time set aside to do a bit of research) it seems less absurd than blindly deciding where I will get my PhD and where I will be living for the next three years—all of which (even with funding) would far exceed the cost of a short trip.
To be clear, I think international travel for a three hour reception is absurd and not within my grad student budget. Still, (with the other visits and some time set aside to do a bit of research) it seems less absurd than blindly deciding where I will get my PhD and where I will be living for the next three years—all of which (even with funding) would far exceed the cost of a short trip.

I think this is totally reasonable. I am not attending my offer-holder event because of it being on a weekday and I currently work in a school. However, I have visited Oxford twice within the last six months (once for pleasure, another for a conference) and so feel pretty confident that I have chosen the right place.
Original post by kaatienoble
I think this is totally reasonable. I am not attending my offer-holder event because of it being on a weekday and I currently work in a school. However, I have visited Oxford twice within the last six months (once for pleasure, another for a conference) and so feel pretty confident that I have chosen the right place.

Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better. Of the places I applied, Oxford is the only one I have visited, but I was there to do research so I did not see much outside of the library.
Original post by HCB97
How long did it take you to receive a formal offer after the email giving an informal offer?

It is for MSc Therapeutic Neuroscience and has been 8 days:smile:

It's been 21 days for me... they said by end of Feb OR mid-March...
Original post by emagine18
Hey all,

I have a place on the DPhil in clinical neurosciences, but it is without departmental funding... I'm really unsure what to do as I don't seem to be eligible for any external funding, I will not get a college scholarship and I cannot afford to self fund. Is anyone else in a similar position?

Me. I applied after the Jan deadline so no automatic consideration of scholarships, am hoping for college scholarships. I haven't looked at external funding yet, are u sure you're aren't eligible for even a single one?
Reply 36
Original post by ZoZo1770
Got accepted onto the MSc in Japanese Studies! Got my college offer surprisingly early, too, less than a month after getting my offer of a place on the course (I got my first choice, I'm so happy!). Anyone else going to Queen's?

Now I just need to get a first in my bachelor's, no pressure :yikes:

Which uni are you doing your undergrad right now and for what major? What grades have you obtained?

Did you apply by the Nov deadline? When did you receive your offer and for what conditions?
Reply 37
I have an offer from the NERC DTP!! Super excited about it
Original post by notverysmart22
Me. I applied after the Jan deadline so no automatic consideration of scholarships, am hoping for college scholarships. I haven't looked at external funding yet, are u sure you're aren't eligible for even a single one?

Hi, yeah I just got offered a college place but no scholarship sadly! I have exhausted the external funding opportunities - the problem is that many of the deadlines were last term and many large charities are not applicable to my research. Good luck - maybe with some stroke of luck we will see each other in October!
I've received an offer for the NERC Environmental Research DTP as well. Woo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending