The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official 2019 Oxford Postgraduate OFFER HOLDERS

Scroll to see replies

yup! :smile: which college have you applied to?
Original post by Jgradschool
MPhil in Development Studies anyone?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
how do u confirm your offer- simply write to the department? and can you not send your english score report online..?
thanks!
Reply 82
Hi all! I just received my offer yesterday - MPhil in Musicology! I'm an overseas student so I am quite concerned about funding. How do I find out if I am being considered for any type of scholarship (either from my department or from a college)? Should I just reach out to my department and ask? Wish they would let us know before our decision deadline :frown:
Hi guys!

Just got pooled into Wolfson College yesterday. Anyone know anything about the accommodation and MCR scene there?
Original post by vileung2
Hi guys!

Just got pooled into Wolfson College yesterday. Anyone know anything about the accommodation and MCR scene there?

My friend started his DPhil at Wolfson this year and is really liking it. I went to visit for a formal dinner and it's a nice place (in terms of the position it has on the Isis) with modern accommodation. The flip side is that there's no history or real prestige to speak of as it's so new. It's also a little bit of a walk out of the city center but that's not necessarily a bad thing! I think it's all postgrads so the social scene should be good everyone I met at formal was interesting, friendly and seemed pretty international. Decent brunch on Saturday mornings to help with hangovers...!
Was just offered a place for MSc in Sociology at 4:00pm London time, 9:00am PST. I also hold an offer from LSE Political Sociology and will be inquiring with Oxford Sociology regarding the options courses being offered to make my decision.
Original post by grace003
Was just offered a place for MSc in Sociology at 4:00pm London time, 9:00am PST. I also hold an ofCfer from LSE Political Sociology and will be inquiring with Oxford Sociology regarding the options courses being offered to make my decision.

Congratulations!! I also received an offer for the MSc in Sociology yesterday around the same time. Did you have a college preference?
Hello all, just a quick question for Canadian applicants. What does a 2.1 or a first translate to in the Canadian system?
Reply 88
Hey, I'm a UK student currently doing my MA in Canada and I found this page on the McGill website helpful. https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/equivalency I don't know if it'll vary from uni to uni though.
Original post by yogi.petitlapin
Hello all, just a quick question for Canadian applicants. What does a 2.1 or a first translate to in the Canadian system?
Original post by c-h-smith
My friend started his DPhil at Wolfson this year and is really liking it. I went to visit for a formal dinner and it's a nice place (in terms of the position it has on the Isis) with modern accommodation. The flip side is that there's no history or real prestige to speak of as it's so new. It's also a little bit of a walk out of the city center but that's not necessarily a bad thing! I think it's all postgrads so the social scene should be good everyone I met at formal was interesting, friendly and seemed pretty international. Decent brunch on Saturday mornings to help with hangovers...!

That's a relief to hear! I initially had my reservations due to Wolfson's location and general aesthetic but of course it would be absurd to turn down Oxford just because of a less than desirable college placement.
That's a relief to hear! I initially had my reservations due to Wolfson's location and general aesthetic but of course it would be absurd to turn down Oxford just because of a less than desirable college placement.

Exactly :biggrin: I think if you're realistic about what it's gonna be like and aren't going into it expecting to live in a 13th Century quad you'll love it. Most people end up really strongly identifying with their college and of course most teaching at graduate level is through your department anyway!
I received an email offer for an MPhil in Social Anthropology on the 13th March, and the official letter confirmation today. I'm still awaiting funding news from the Clarendon Scholarship - reading last years Oxford thread, I can see they usually meet and start to deliberate on these around now.
Reply 92

Wolfson's a more egalitarian outfit than some colleges, and the graduate students are more clearly and fully a priority there because they're the only students the college has. And the location means you can put in a day's work in the city centre and then put your work behind you and escape to the quieter and more spacious setting of the college, rather than living in the intense bubble of the centre twenty-four hours a day. There's a lot to be said for that!
I applied for St John's college, apparently it'll be 8-10 weeks before I hear back from them.
How does DPIR go about sending offers? Do they send acceptances first? As it is so late in the game and I have seen on Grad Cafe that many DPhil candidates did hear back, it naturally feels I don't stand a chance at this point. It seems like people who would be nominated for scholarships like Nuffield etc got their acceptances right away. Am I completely disillusioned? Please share any insights you might have
Hey, thank you. Yeah, I think it differs. I found this as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification
Original post by minih08
Hey, I'm a UK student currently doing my MA in Canada and I found this page on the McGill website helpful. https://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/international/apply/equivalency I don't know if it'll vary from uni to uni though.
Hey everybody I just got an offer yesterday for an MSc in Japanese studies, haven't heard about a college yet, I'm super excited.
Reply 97
Hello everyone, got a place at the Oxford DSPI for an MSc in Social Intervention and Policy Eval. Anyone else here from the department? Any offer holders from India on this thread pls let me know.
Original post by happywhale
Also - does anyone else hold an offer from both Oxford and Cambridge for near-identical courses, and how are you choosing between them?

I'll probably be choosing based on funding or some non-relevant criteria like college placement...
- MPhil in International Relations
Hi I received an offer for MSc in Social Intervention and Policy Evaluation as well but am considering turning it down to go to a US Ivy since the DSPI isnt as prestigious. What was the condition for your offer and have you received any funding?
Original post by bpgrad
Hello everyone, got a place at the Oxford DSPI for an MSc in Social Intervention and Policy Eval. Anyone else here from the department? Any offer holders from India on this thread pls let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending